No announcement yet.

Genealogy Hints, Tips and Cheats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do many of you use FMP? I dip in and out of subscriptions with them, primarily use Ancestry, but I wonder if I am missing out with FMP am I not making the best use of its resources? Anybody any tips for FMP or anybody a real advocate of FMP over Ancestry??
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
      Do many of you use FMP? I dip in and out of subscriptions with them, primarily use Ancestry, but I wonder if I am missing out with FMP am I not making the best use of its resources? Anybody any tips for FMP or anybody a real advocate of FMP over Ancestry??
      I prefer the search on FMP to the one on Ancestry and I do like the flexible way you can sort on the columns on FMP but I keep them both as the parishes I need are spread across the two sites. FMP of course has the newspapers included. I did once try to upload a gedcom but it failed and I never bothered to try again although it does try to give me hints for the non-existent tree periodically.

I got myself trolled online by some "luddites" for saying I liked the FMP search when they changed it and there are some help guides from then in the Reference LIbrary which don't look exactly the same now but give a good idea of the mechanics of the site.

Another bonus of FMP of course is that if you have ever looked at a record, you don't ever have to pay again - so make sure that you look at all the records from a search as you never know when you might want to repeat it!! You can also save your searches (if you remember to do it - I often forget.)
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I use them both equally. Ancestry is an easier site to search usually and it has many public trees but FMP scores heavily on it’s parish records as I have Staffordshire, Cheshire, Shropshire and Lancashire roots on my paternal side and a few branches of my mother’s maternal family went to Lancashire. The ability to search on address in censuses is also an FMP plus although it is actually quite clunky to use. Until FMP changes the way users can access other members’ trees, they are pretty much useless. If searching for detailed information on a dataset in order to make a master source entry, ancestry wins hands down.

Comment

Yes, I use them both but prefer the search on FMP. The results on Ancestry are annoyingly random whereas on FMP You Can sort the columns. If only they would do that on Ancestry! I think Caroline and GL have said it all and I agreewith both their reasoning. But I disagree with GL over searching on data sets, which I find MUCH better on FMP.
          Anne

Comment

As others have said I feel the search on FMP is superior, I have a sub to both Ancestry & FMP, the benefit of FMP having newspapers is vital for my local history research as well as my own family tree. Tree building on FMP is clunky, I began but have not pursued it.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
              Yes, I use them both but prefer the search on FMP. The results on Ancestry are annoyingly random whereas on FMP You Can sort the columns. If only they would do that on Ancestry! I think Caroline and GL have said it all and I agreewith both their reasoning. But I disagree with GL over searching on data sets, which I find MUCH better on FMP.
              Anne
              What I meant there was that when I am making up a new source, the information given in ancestry about a particular dataset is often far more than on FMP and in a format that is dead easy to copy and paste into my own template for a master source. Not that the actual dataset is easy to search within itself. Sorry, I should have made that clearer first time

Comment

I struggle to move about in the census on FMP, and it doesn't have the 'breadcrumbs' at the top like Ancestry. I do like the fact that you can click on the columns and get it in date order.

Ancestry once in a card catalogue you can see a lot more info in summary, whereas on FMP you have to click through to get info.

FMP has more other info on census that is searchable occupation/address etc
                Mothers MMN on births, and spouse on marriages are all nice touches.

I don't use the trees, I find them more 'modern' than ancestry, but just don't cut it with me - but that is probably subjective.

As many of my family are London in recent years Ancestry has served me better.

I think if I didn't do the newspapers through there I possibly wouldn't bother.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this or if I should have started a new thread.

I saw a tip on a Facebook geneology page the other day about adding images to profiles in Ancestry and Family Tree Maker. This struck me as a great idea and I have just spent a lockdown afternoon doing this on my tree. I found a great website with Victorian images, mostly line drawings, which seem very fitting as most of my tree focuses on the Victorian era. I started with images of a sleeping child which I added to all the children who died as infants. This means that when I look at the tree I know that I don’t need to do any further searching for them. Then I added images for professions such as shoemaker, coach builder, tailor and sailor. This has made is very obvious when looking at the tree that some professions were continued through several generations in one family. If I have an actual photograph of people I have left that as the profile image but for lots of the people who were represented by pink or blue squares I now have images that help me to visualise them better as real people.
                  Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

That is a brilliant idea . Thanks for the tip
                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

That really is a truly wonderful idea and thank you for sharing

Comment

I can't claim the idea. It was on a facebook page but I love it, too. My tree has been transformed
                        Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Could you add the link of the website that you used for the images please

Comment

Of course, it's here http://www.victorianpicturelibrary.com/ Fascinating collection of old images! They all have watermarks on them as you are supposed to pay for them but for thumbnails on a tree they are fine.

Comment

Have bookmarked for tomorrow thank you

Comment

I add all the bmd cert images and parish record images to people's events on ancestry, so i can see at a quick glance which records i have for them. I.e. birth cert image attached to date of birth, or christening record. I usually remember if i have a full date whether i have the record or where the info comes from. For example, date of death from a burial or will; or i have the record but not scanned it to the tree due to the image being terrible or an old (sometimes contemporary) copy from family. So when i do batches of certs, i go through that family and see what's there, then order the missing records.

i also add photos of people where i have them....half the reason i am loathe to make my tree public. As then people will attach them to unrelated families.

Comment

interesting idea, I have noticed various things people do like add a flag, coat of arms, a stop sign.

Wouldn't it be great if ancestry let you make your images private and the tree public. I would also love it if you could make individuals private. Maybe one day.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                    interesting idea, I have noticed various things people do like add a flag, coat of arms, a stop sign.

Wouldn't it be great if ancestry let you make your images private and the tree public. I would also love it if you could make individuals private. Maybe one day.
                                    If you attach the pic to a living person on a public tree you can see it but other's can't, I've got some attached to some long dead distant relatives and me as well which means they are visible only to me as tree owner.

I have cropped many old photos just to show the face which are publicly viewable so people can copy them if they wish and I can identify my photos elsewhere, but the full photo remains with me (though all my photos are shared with my first and second cousins so may well appear if they take up family history.)

Comment

I've taken the Ancestry blue and pink male/female symbols and digitally added 'Direct Ancestor' on top of the profile picture so I can easily see my ggg grandparents amongst their dozens of siblings!
                                      Anne

Comment

Working...
                                      X