Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you keep your witnesses, boarders and informants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

In previous version you right click and save as CSV, and then open that in a spreadsheet, I don't think you can go straight to SS.

Will give it a go - thanks Kat, I have never needed/required to do a report, so have not really explored.
    That is for lists mainly, rather than reports, which you can keep and refer to on FTM itself. Mainly for say ' finding direct rellies with no burials/or other BMD' or 'Those with Army records' or 'mariners' or ' those who have 1939 register entries' etc etc
    It can be a bit more complicated if you want to make lists for reports and publish them. Why wouldn't it be LOL! Practice makes perfect as they say
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 13-06-20, 12:02. Reason: add
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Well, thanks to Katarzyna's advice and hints, I have been practicing and have now begun the task of adding informants, witnesses and cause of death to people that I have certificates for. At the same time I have figured out how to add source information to all these facts. So the big tree clean up has begun! I still have lots to learn but I'm feeling pleased with achieving this first stage and I have tested it out by searching for a witness name and found it straight away

Now I am going to make notes in words of one syllable that I can understand next time I want to do it.
      Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

That's good
        I'm in the middle of sorting all my military lot out at the moment.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
          That's good
          I'm in the middle of sorting all my military lot out at the moment.
          That's an area that is way beyond me at the moment. Something to figure out at a later date I think.
          Good luck
          Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
            So the big tree clean up has begun! I still have lots to learn but I'm feeling pleased with achieving this first stage and I have tested it out by searching for a witness name and found it straight away
            You’re welcome to come join me in the mad house that is tree tidying. Bring gin and chocklits

Comment

Galloway Lass!
              Which bits are you working on?

Comment

I think FTM should deny access to beginners to things like sources and citations. You should have to pass your Beginners Test before you are allowed near such things. I am now faced with hours of work undoing mistakes that only took me seconds to make! And I bet I'm not the only one

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                  Galloway Lass!
                  Which bits are you working on?
                  Just about all of it
                  I began almost 40 years ago with just pen and paper and then discovered my library had an Open Learning Kit called Family Tree Maker by Broderbund which was a handbook and 8 diskettes of software. I just plodded along entering all my information and not really understanding what I was doing with the software. In some ways, not a lot has changed over time in that respect. I have done a few trees for family members over the last three or four years and I quickly realised that my own home grown standards were woefully inadequate, especially as regards sources. If I had a penny for every time I have simply put ancestry . co . uk I would be a rich woman LOL I have made sure the newer trees have been up to the mark but my own original combined tree for all lines of my family contains almost 5000 people and the thought of having to fix it was just too much to take on. I have not been consistent with place names and I haven’t even entered a country unless it was abroad. All my census facts for example are just the year or the year plus either USA or Ireland. I will have to separate these into ”England & Wales“ and “Scotland”. I have clicked on a fact above or below the one I really wanted from the drop down lists, the most prevalent one being baptism when I meant to click aka. For residence, there are loads of entries that say for example 21 Wharf Street and nothing else. I know where that is but it never dawned on me that someone else might not
                  So, it’s basically a complete redo apart from the actual names of the people. The catalyst for all this is that I am finally abandoning FTM and moving over to Family Historian as I am not happy with what mackiev have done/not done with FTM as a product and I don’t like their attitude as a company. FH is bought and installed on my pc but I have made myself promise that I will not open it and use it until my tree is fit for purpose. This could be an aw-furr-ly long time

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post

Just about all of it
                    I began almost 40 years ago with just pen and paper and then discovered my library had an Open Learning Kit called Family Tree Maker by Broderbund which was a handbook and 8 diskettes of software. I just plodded along entering all my information and not really understanding what I was doing with the software. In some ways, not a lot has changed over time in that respect. I have done a few trees for family members over the last three or four years and I quickly realised that my own home grown standards were woefully inadequate, especially as regards sources. If I had a penny for every time I have simply put ancestry . co . uk I would be a rich woman LOL I have made sure the newer trees have been up to the mark but my own original combined tree for all lines of my family contains almost 5000 people and the thought of having to fix it was just too much to take on. I have not been consistent with place names and I haven’t even entered a country unless it was abroad. All my census facts for example are just the year or the year plus either USA or Ireland. I will have to separate these into ”England & Wales“ and “Scotland”. I have clicked on a fact above or below the one I really wanted from the drop down lists, the most prevalent one being baptism when I meant to click aka. For residence, there are loads of entries that say for example 21 Wharf Street and nothing else. I know where that is but it never dawned on me that someone else might not
                    So, it’s basically a complete redo apart from the actual names of the people. The catalyst for all this is that I am finally abandoning FTM and moving over to Family Historian as I am not happy with what mackiev have done/not done with FTM as a product and I don’t like their attitude as a company. FH is bought and installed on my pc but I have made myself promise that I will not open it and use it until my tree is fit for purpose. This could be an aw-furr-ly long time
                    oh my - that sounds like work......not sure I would have the dedication. Keeps you on your toes though.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

That certainly sounds challenging! I wouldn’t know where to start except to maybe start from scratch and rebuild the tree bit by bit into the new software, adding the sources correctly as you go. Start small and go one step at a time

Comment

That’s an idea but there’s so many facts about my people and I have loads of custom ones and I have made good use of the notes fields. I couldn’t bear to retype it all.

Comment

You should be able to copy and paste notes between programmes. No need to re-type. And think how lovely it will be to have it all neat and tidy in one place

Comment

Working...
                          X