Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long has your family lived in one street or one house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
    My maternal great grandparents were in Chartridge House, Chartridge Lane, Chesham after their marriage in 1890 until my great grandfather died in 1928. My grandparents moved into "Old Cottage" when they were married in 1928 and sold up in 1979 when my step-grandmother sold up, so about 90 years in the same "street" - actually a country lane. I'd been thinking that all my tenant farming lot moved around so much that they never stayed in one place for long. I'd not really added up the time in Chartridge Lane.

Thank you Caroline, it’s a really interesting thought and it’s been a great thing to talk about and discuss and something we all probably haven’t given much thought to in the past, good to hear all the different stories
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

My cousins family and subsequent generations lived in the same house (they built it) in 1860 until said cousin moved out in the 1990s. The house was a farmhouse called Rosemount (after Montrose from whence they came in 1828)

and started a farming property. The house has subsequently been bought twice and renovated so it is in pretty good condition.
      Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

My GG Grandmother lived in the same house in Loughborough from at least 1865 (from the baptism of her 3rd child) until 1915, when she finally moved out, aged 77.

Just as well, because there was a zeppelin raid on Loughborough in Jan 1916 and a bomb landed right outside her old house, killing the lady in the house opposite and hospitalising a man in the house next door.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
          My cousins family and subsequent generations lived in the same house (they built it) in 1860 until said cousin moved out in the 1990s. The house was a farmhouse called Rosemount (after Montrose from whence they came in 1828)

and started a farming property. The house has subsequently been bought twice and renovated so it is in pretty good condition.
          Thats a pretty decent record to be fair, certainly farm houses, for obvious reasons, were more likely to stay in the family line than a conventional house.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
            My GG Grandmother lived in the same house in Loughborough from at least 1865 (from the baptism of her 3rd child) until 1915, when she finally moved out, aged 77.

Just as well, because there was a zeppelin raid on Loughborough in Jan 1916 and a bomb landed right outside her old house, killing the lady in the house opposite and hospitalising a man in the house next door.
            Fate plays such a big part in our lives and sometimes things happen, or in you GG Grandmother's case, don't happen for a reason!

Comment

Did you miss the dead-line for your Dear Paul for July issue Paul? Can't find you
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

It’s a bi monthly column, next one is in August

Comment

Oh, they changed that then. It was always monthly. There has been a decline in all things genealogical though particularly over the last couple of years so it's not really surprising that there are fewer 'letters' to respond to. It was the DNA testing explosion that kicked life back into it. I have had that magazine right from it's first issue and really look forward to reading it.
                  Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                    Oh, they changed that then. It was always monthly. There has been a decline in all things genealogical though particularly over the last couple of years so it's not really surprising that there are fewer 'letters' to respond to. It was the DNA testing explosion that kicked life back into it. I have had that magazine right from it's first issue and really look forward to reading it.
                    its been bi monthly for a couple of years I think? You should know me better than that, I never miss a deadline

Comment

Working...
                    X