Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long has your family lived in one street or one house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long has your family lived in one street or one house?

As part of Family Tree Magazine’s latest venture #StoryOfOurStreet I have asked people to take part in the ‘Chiddicks Challenge’, want to know what that is?

How long have you lived on your street?
    Dear Paul would love to hear from you, to see who has lived on the one street the longest.
    I have lived on my current street, for around 20 years, and my grandparents lived in their house around 55 years and my step-father still lives on the same street, so there has been a member of my family on that same street since 1937!
    Over to you folks:
    How long have you lived on your street?
    And – if you want to up the challenge – what’s the longest stretch of time you can find your family living down one street, or in one house? Can you beat my record of 83 years (1937 to the present day).
    Pictures welcome.

Email to dearpaul@family-tree.co.uk
    Last edited by Paulc; 11-06-20, 21:39.
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

My mother’s family on her mother’s side were ag. labs so were never in one place for very long although they were in the same parish most of the time. My father’s family on both sides did spend some time on various streets and on his mother’s side there were family in the same street. I’d need to get back to you on how long exactly. I didn’t grow up on a street but was in the same house for 22 years till I married. I have been in my current house for 24 years last month. However, through my DNA test, I have now discovered the family of my mother’s birth family. Which one of two sons was actually my grandfather is a mystery as nobody on those lines is willing to test. The descendants of other lines though are quite happy to welcome me. That family would knock your record off the park. They have been in the same farm since at least 1826 (the death of my 3xGGF) and family are still there. So at least 194 years!!

Comment

My ancestors, the Greens of Gawsworth, Cheshire, farmed Mollards Farm from at least 1498 (the earliest record I have found) until 1863, when they moved to Manchester!

OC

Comment

I doubt that anyone can beat OC, but, in more modern times, my Mum, along with her Mum and brother, moved into a rented house in Nottingham in 1933. When my Grandma died in the 1950's, the tenancy passed to my uncle and his widow (in her 90's) is still living there
        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Actually, dare I say it, the Greens were a bit boring to research, lol. Big fish in a little pond, never did anything exciting or naughty or......interesting. No mysteries at all.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            My ancestors, the Greens of Gawsworth, Cheshire, farmed Mollards Farm from at least 1498 (the earliest record I have found) until 1863, when they moved to Manchester!

OC
            Wow!! That’s some record OC. Trumps mine by a humongous amount, nearly double. What a shame they turned out to be a bit boring genealogically speaking. My missing quarter certainly have not been. Whilst collaborating on research with family who are now resident in New Zealand, Australia and Canada (different branches in NZ and Canada since the 1800s) various juicy stories have been revealed. Some the family were aware of but knew little and some they hadn’t a clue about.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
              My mother’s family on her mother’s side were ag. labs so were never in one place for very long although they were in the same parish most of the time. My father’s family on both sides did spend some time on various streets and on his mother’s side there were family in the same street. I’d need to get back to you on how long exactly. I didn’t grow up on a street but was in the same house for 22 years till I married. I have been in my current house for 24 years last month. However, through my DNA test, I have now discovered the family of my mother’s birth family. Which one of two sons was actually my grandfather is a mystery as nobody on those lines is willing to test. The descendants of other lines though are quite happy to welcome me. That family would knock your record off the park. They have been in the same farm since at least 1826 (the death of my 3xGGF) and family are still there. So at least 194 years!!
              Thats a totally impressive record!! Are you able to send me a picture if possible and maybe a bit of a short biography???

Comment

Wow OC

Much more modern. My grandparents moved in 1935 to a house where my grandmother lived until her death in 1979. Her son (my uncle) then moved in and after his death in 2008 my cousin took up residence. He's still living there now.

Barbara

Comment

OC
                  Old Crone I'm sure nobody is going to beat that!!! Have you a picture by any chance and are you Able to send me a bit of a short biography, if possible, I say short considering it spans several centuries!!!!

Comment

Paul, I lost the only picture I had - the farm was demolished to make way for the railway. The biography is rather short, haha - Thomas Green x 13! Only the wives differ. I will something together and send it to you.

One interesting fact about them. I knew three of them, sisters of my great grandmother, the last one died in the early 70s. They were remarkably tall, especially for women. This became an interesting fact when I came across a comment in the burial register of one of the Thomas Greens in the early 1700s. The vicar had written in the margin " a very tall man".

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post

Thats a totally impressive record!! Are you able to send me a picture if possible and maybe a bit of a short biography???
                      Sorry but I don’t have a photo of the farm, I have never been. All I have are parish records and BMD certificates and a couple of wills. I’d rather not have any biography published as there has been resistance to my existence from some sections of the family and I would not wish to cause any offence.
                      Last edited by Paulc; 12-06-20, 12:03.

Comment

Paul, I lost the only picture I had - the farm was demolished to make way for the railway. The biography is rather short, haha - Thomas Green x 13! Only the wives differ. I will something together and send it to you.

One interesting fact about them. I knew three of them, sisters of my great grandmother, the last one died in the early 70s. They were remarkably tall, especially for women. This became an interesting fact when I came across a comment in the burial register of one of the Thomas Greens in the early 1700s. The vicar had written in the margin " a very tall man".

OC
                        it's surprising the things we inherit or pass down through generations, I sadly inherited a set of short legs! I wonder if there are any pictures of the farm online anywhere? Thanks for your help its much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post

Sorry but I don’t have a photo of the farm, I have never been. All I have are parish records and BMD certificates and a couple of wills. I’d rather not have any biography published as there has been resistance to my existence from some sections of the family and I would not wish to cause any offence.
                          perfectly understandable given the circumstances, no problem at all.

Comment

My husband's great grandfather had a house designed and built in Canterbury, Kent, in the late 1920s or early 30s and it remained the family home until his grandmother died there in 1990.It has recently been sold for £1.5 million and demolished to build a block of student accommodation flats. Their old garden wall is still there though! We haven't any photos of it but there might be some online or in the Kent County Archives maybe? It might be an interesting sidetrack to do a bit of research and see what I can find.
                            Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

My Grandad, who was a slater and tiler, had a house built in 1953 or 4 and my grandma lived there until she had to go in a home and was sold about 1988. She passed away Dec 1991.

We have lived in our house for 35 years.

Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Haven't looked at ancestral homes yet....but after moving house 13 times during the first 10 years of marriage, I vowed , and declared, 'No more' when we moved to Perth. We've lived in McMansion for 44 years now and will probably die in residence as we can't face the trauma of packing up.

Beverley

Comment

My maternal great grandparents were in Chartridge House, Chartridge Lane, Chesham after their marriage in 1890 until my great grandfather died in 1928. My grandparents moved into "Old Cottage" when they were married in 1928 and sold up in 1979 when my step-grandmother sold up, so about 90 years in the same "street" - actually a country lane. I'd been thinking that all my tenant farming lot moved around so much that they never stayed in one place for long. I'd not really added up the time in Chartridge Lane.

Caroline
                                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Wow that’s without doubt the highest value quoted so far and thank you I’ll see if I can find anything out.

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                                    My husband's great grandfather had a house designed and built in Canterbury, Kent, in the late 1920s or early 30s and it remained the family home until his grandmother died there in 1990.It has recently been sold for £1.5 million and demolished to build a block of student accommodation flats. Their old garden wall is still there though! We haven't any photos of it but there might be some online or in the Kent County Archives maybe? It might be an interesting sidetrack to do a bit of research and see what I can find.

Comment

Thanks Lin, I thought it was just my family that liked to stay in one place!

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                                      My Grandad, who was a slater and tiler, had a house built in 1953 or 4 and my grandma lived there until she had to go in a home and was sold about 1988. She passed away Dec 1991.

We have lived in our house for 35 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
                                        Haven't looked at ancestral homes yet....but after moving house 13 times during the first 10 years of marriage, I vowed , and declared, 'No more' when we moved to Perth. We've lived in McMansion for 44 years now and will probably die in residence as we can't face the trauma of packing up.
                                        I wonder what the record is for moves in a 12 month period?

Comment

Working...
                                        X