Please help-Upper Holloway workhouse & infirmary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by petunia View Post
    Carolyn-I only have the date being born Jan 25 1890 from baptism on ancestry.I found her bible she wrote in it born in London England 1890. Thanks for the images you sent.
    that is a shame, so not even sure if we have the right person yet. Just thought someone may have known her birthday, or even the month.

Did she write her name in the bible? and a date when she was given it? be interesting to see if she used Ethel or Daisy as her first name.
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 14-06-20, 15:31.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Carolyn-Where she is buried it is not far from me I was thirteen when she died checked on her tombstone it says born Jan 7 1890.She didn't write her name in the bible or the date given ti her but I remember everybody called her Ethel.I dug out the manifest of the S.S.New England departed July 17 1902 she was listed on their as Ethel Archer but 1901 census from the archives that came from Barnardo's had her as Ethel Daisy Archer also Have her marriage record it says Ethel Daisy.I also found a copy from the magazine Ups & Down sept.vol.X1V.theymention the marriage of two of their young men & one of their maidens which was my grandfather & my grandmother named Ethel Archer.I would stake my life this is my grandmother.

Comment

Originally posted by petunia View Post
        Carolyn-Where she is buried it is not far from me I was thirteen when she died checked on her tombstone it says born Jan 7 1890.She didn't write her name in the bible or the date given ti her but I remember everybody called her Ethel.I dug out the manifest of the S.S.New England departed July 17 1902 she was listed on their as Ethel Archer but 1901 census from the archives that came from Barnardo's had her as Ethel Daisy Archer also Have her marriage record it says Ethel Daisy.I also found a copy from the magazine Ups & Down sept.vol.X1V.theymention the marriage of two of their young men & one of their maidens which was my grandfather & my grandmother named Ethel Archer.I would stake my life this is my grandmother.
        It could be the baptism and census from London may not be your Ethel as she was going by Daisy Ethel and her birth month is correct but 25 not 7.

Having said that anything is possible.

I also wonder if she spent a lot of her years at Barnados she would see that as her 'from' place, I think of Barkingside as London now, but in those times maybe not so much.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

So where does this leave us with our search?

Comment

You can possible only get any more info from sending for her Barnardo's records.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
              You can possible only get any more info from sending for her Barnardo's records.
              That is all I can think too.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                X