• Time
  • Show
Clear All

thought I would look trough papers, did find this:

Hampstead & Highgate Express 12 August 1899

ethel.JPG
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by petunia View Post
      Sorry for the delay of responding to everyone.I found proof of the Pritchard's in the 1891 England census. I have searched the British Home Children registry.I got the info that Louisa was with mother Eliza in 1891 from the society of genealogists in england. I would be interested in the other Louisa'a in St Pancras/Islington could you send them to me I will check this out.Could you send me the baptism record of the two children above that of Daisy Ethel I would be interested in seeing this.I am interested in the foundling comment how would I search that?
      In 1891 I saw a Louisa Archer single as a Servant in North London, another b Ire!and boarding in Islington. Will post a link from another device.

I think baptism record link has already been posted. 2 Gibbs children with parents Roland and Matilda Louisa baptised same day as Daisy Ethel who had mother's name Louisa. Could just be coincidence. Don't think there is any connection with Gibbs' children however.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
        Petunia,
        Did you notice that this record has been "claimed"? If the claimant isn't you, it could be worth getting in touch with them to see what information they have.
        From the website FAQs:
        How can I contact the person(s) who have “Claimed” a BHC?

Work on the Registry is actively ongoing. In the future we plan to have a contact form which will be sent from the web site (names and email addresses will not be visible). There are several processes we need to complete prior to these contact forms being put in place. This process is being deferred until the Registry is online in full. In the meantime you may contact Lori Oschefski and ask her to put you in touch with them.

You can contact Lori Oschefski via this page:

Christine
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

I did notice another nurse child further down the page on the 1891 census.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

This information that the Society of Genealogists gave you that mother and child were together in 1891 - did they give you their source for this? Also how did they know the child was born in a workhouse in Holloway? If you didn’t get the sources from them for these two vital bits of info, I think you should contact them again and ask for detailed source information.

Comment

Carolyn-I can't access the info you sent me from Hampstead & Highgate Express 12 Aug.1899 could you send it to me? I did claim the record on the BHC website thank you.The Society of Genealogists did not say that the mother & child were together in 1891.They did not give me a source .I will tell you what they e-mailed,Louisa's family moved into Upper Holloway immediately before the birth,"euston road".The birthplace probably represents the workhouse infirmary.It is possibly the family insisted the baby be fostered out.This is what they said word for word.

Comment

This is all about the Dr Barnado's Garden Village Home at Barkingside, Ilford.

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                  As Ethel Daisy on 1901 census. Barnardos
                  https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...35&usePUB=true

Cannot see a birth for an Ethel Daisy either
                  It's interesting to note that the Barnardo's home did not know where Ethel Daisy had been born. It is probable then that any papers from the Barnardo Home (£80) won't have any more info than already known.

Name: Ethel Daisy Archer
                  Estimated birth year: abt 1890
                  Relation to Head: Inmate
                  Birth Place: N
                  Civil Parish: Ilford
                  Town: Barkingside and Ilford
                  County: Essex
                  Last edited by Katarzyna; 11-06-20, 21:31. Reason: wording
                  Kat

Comment

I will put images somewhere else tomorrow, newspaper article was only a group of girls sent to Barkingside when a school closed in Westminster.
                    do any family members know when she celebrated her birthday was it in January?
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource ? the one the Genealogists suggested https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource Just putting this one up as altho wrong for Louisa dob, family living in Euston Street https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource The Servant. Bit out of area but in North London Cant see the Louisa Archer b Ireland, Boarder at the moment Vera

Comment

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource Possibly family Genealogists identified prior to their move to North London from West London Vera

Comment

Carolyn-That would be great let me know where you put them.Yes her birth day was in January it was the 25th 1890.That is interesting because I have tried searching the schools in Ancestry-London England School Admissions.& Discharges couldn't find her, she would have had to go to school,Oh I so hope this is her.

Comment

Carolyn-That would be great let me know where you put them.Yes her birth day was in January it was the 25th 1890.That is interesting because I have tried searching the schools in Ancestry-London England School Admissions.& Discharges couldn't find her, she would have had to go to school,Oh I so hope this is her.
                            You have had her birth confirmed within the family? or just from the baptism on ancestry?

I am not sure why you think she went to school in London, she could have been at Barnardo's for several years - do you know the date she went to Ilford then?
                            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 11-06-20, 22:38.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post

It's interesting to note that the Barnardo's home did not know where Ethel Daisy had been born. It is probable then that any papers from the Barnardo Home (£80) won't have any more info than already known.

Name: Ethel Daisy Archer
                              Estimated birth year: abt 1890
                              Relation to Head: Inmate
                              Birth Place: N
                              Civil Parish: Ilford
                              Town: Barkingside and Ilford
                              County: Essex
                              I assume there would be records of when she arrived and where from, assuming she was a child and not a baby they wouldn't know her birth place. I saw something that they did a service for £25 - maybe a different type of service.

I did wonder if she changed her name to Ethel as many Daisy's at Barnardo - but seems to be many Ethel's similar age!
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Ethel would not be expected to know her place of birth for the 1901 register. I expect her age and POB would have been taken from the admittance register. She would have been registered at Barnardos by either a workhouse, hospital or the person who had been looking after her. If they didn't have that information at hand then I would suggest she was a foundling. The Society of Genealogists wouldn't have access to the Barnado's records. I cannot see that they are privy to any records that we couldn't potentially find. One can only surmise. Barnado's records are the only way to go but I have an awful feeling they don't know either. I really do hope I am wrong.

Edit:

"Fees
                                We charge a £25 administrative fee for all enquiries about deceased relatives in the UK, Australia and Canada.

If we find your relative, there is an additional charge for all packages of information. You can download more information about these packages, including prices, at the bottom of this page."

Our Making Connections team helps you find out about your past and your family history. Find out how we can help you learn about your past and your family history.

FULL HISTORY PACKAGE £95.00
                                (UK, Canada and Australia)
                                This will include: (subject to availability)
                                1) Admission History
                                2) Placement Details
                                3) Individual Photograph
                                4) Précis
                                5) Homes Information Sheet
                                6) Record Book Entry
                                7) Situation Book Entry (boys only)
                                8) Location Photographs
                                ADMISSION PACKAGE £80
                                (UK only)
                                This will include: (subject to availability)
                                1) Admission History
                                2) Placement Details
                                3) Individual Photograph
                                4) Précis
                                5) Homes Information Sheets
                                Last edited by Katarzyna; 11-06-20, 23:30.
                                Kat

Comment

Carolyn-I only know the birth date & baptism from ancestry.The only info I have as far as a date is the 1901 uk census when she was at Barnardo's at Barkingside & Illford.I thought because she was at the Pritchard's she would have gone to school around their.I guess I was wrong what do you think?That newspaper article where it has a list of girls sent to Barkingside when that Westminister school was closed could be an important info.Her birthday was Jan 25 1890.What was the name of the Westminster school.

Comment

But if she was a foundling, how would the workhouse know her name?

Theory - she was born in the workhouse, baptised and then left there.

OC

Comment

Carolyn- Could you please send me the article you found in the Hampstead & Highgate Express dated 12/August/1899.I found the article on the British Archive Newspapers but can't access it without getting a subscription.I would like to see the list of names of girls sent to Barkingside because of Westminster school was closing.

Comment

Carolyn- Could you please send me the article you found in the Hampstead & Highgate Express dated 12/August/1899.I found the article on the British Archive Newspapers but can't access it without getting a subscription.I would like to see the list of names of girls sent to Barkingside because of Westminster school was closing.
                                        No problem - there is no list of names though - it isn't as interesting that. Was just showing that they sent 'batches. of children to the home.

have put the 2 images on here:

So did you know your grandmothers birthday from within the family? or have you just presumed it is the baptism?
                                        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 13-06-20, 19:56.
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Carolyn-I only have the date being born Jan 25 1890 from baptism on ancestry.I found her bible she wrote in it born in London England 1890. Thanks for the images you sent.

Comment

Working...
                                          X