Please help-Upper Holloway workhouse & infirmary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help-Upper Holloway workhouse & infirmary

I am researching my grandmother Daisy Ethel Archer who was born illegitimate .Her mother's name was Louisa Archer.Her family moved to Upper Holloway just before my grandmother was born in 1890 in Holloway London.I need help in finding the name of this workhouse infirmary.So would appreciate any help.

Hello Petunia and welcome to FTF.

I don't think workhouses had special names, it would just have been called the workhouse. There is some general information if you google Upper Holloway workhouse. What is it you are hoping to find?

OC

Comment

Hello Petunia

Have been looking.. Mostly St Pancras area. Not seeing anything yet but different recordings of dob. On 1939 (if correct one b Jan 1899 ?1889. Baptism St Pancras March 1890 with dob unfortunately obliterated. 1891 census Nurse Child aged 1 year. Are you sure she was born Holloway?

Vera

Comment

Do you have the birth certificate? is that where you found the workhouse/ infirmary information?
        Do you have anymore info re Louisa? What happened to her after the birth as Vera notes she was a nurse child on 1891 census
        https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource

Do you have her baptism? b Jan 25 probably 1890 because if an older child than an infant the age is generally given.
        24th March 1890 living 25 Euston Street, St Pancras - mother Louisa Archer.
        https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...194.1591780614

Or do you already have all the information for her and just want to know about the Workhouse.
        I'm sure it would be the ones in Islington - Upper Holloway Road

St John's Road - Upper Holloway - Islington Workhouse and Infirmary
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 10-06-20, 19:52.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thank you all for responding .I am looking for the names of these workhouses & infirmaries in Upper Holloway so I could search on ancestry to see if I could find my grandmother's name.I was in touch with the society of genealogists in England several years ago they stated she was born in upper Holloway at a workhouse infirmary.I don't have the birth certificate only found it on ancestry.I did also find the baptism record.This is my first time posting reply I hope I have done this right if not let me know.

Comment

Here is what I have for more info on her.I know she was born in 1890 Holloway London EnglandAs far as I can see there is no age on her baptism records on ancestry.I know she was at James & Mary Pritchard's in the 1891 uk census.In 1901 I found her at Barnardo's at Barkingside & Illford then she was sent to Canada in 1902.

Comment

Petunia .............

you will have to buy her birth certificate from the GRO (General Records Office). It is not possible to see a certificate, unless it happens that someone has already purchased it and posted it on their family tree online.

It would cost £6 to get an emailed pdf version from GRO, which is good for family history purposes but not for legal ones.

Click on Order Certificates Online

You have to register and then sign-in ..... it is free and safe. Scroll down to Register, and fill out. then submit

Click on Search the GRO Indexes

Find your grandmother's entry, and get the details from it.

The problem is that I cannot find a birth registration for her??????

My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

How would I go about finding whether my grandmother birth certificate has already been purchased & posted on their family tree?

Comment

Possibly St John's Road workhouse in the Parish of St Mary Islington. A new w/house was built in Upper Holloway.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by petunia View Post
                    How would I go about finding whether my grandmother birth certificate has already been purchased & posted on their family tree?
                    First find out if there is a family tree on Ancestry.

If there look at the tree and see what they have posted. It will be easy to tell.

My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I can't see a birth registration either.
                      Kat

Comment

Nor me

Comment

You might find these sites useful:

https://canadianbritishhomechildren....e-records.html

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discov...n-records.aspx
                          Kat

Comment

Hi Petunia,

Do you have her records from Dr Barnardos ? This may give you some extra information.

I see from www.bac-lac-gc.ca that she arrived in Canada in 1902, on the ship New England. It departed Liverpool 17 July 1902, arrived in Boston 25 July 1902, and final destination Toronto and Peterborough, Ontario.

When I clicked on her name Ethel Archer on that database it showed her name in two articles of Ups and Downs, published by the Canadian branch of Dr Barnados - May 1930 and under married name in June 1937.

I see that on her marriage record it was reported that she neither knew her mother or her father's names. I wonder if her mother gave a fake name when giving birth at the workhouse.

The other possibility is whether Ethel Daisy's name was recorded at the workhouse along with her mother's name. I did wonder if she was a foundling or whether her mother died after giving birth?

bcbrit
                            George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Post #4

25 St Pancras Street was the address of St Pancras workhouse infirmary.

OC

Comment

On ancestry you can search that set of records:
                                https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/60391

You can put Islington in as Keyword and it will just show you the records from there. I can see any Archer.

Do you know her birth date? or maybe month? You might be lucky and find something recorded in a different name that will look likely
                                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 10-06-20, 22:17.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you for sites address.I do't have her records from Barnardo's they are so expensive.Yes I know about the articles in the Barnardo's Ups & Downs magazine actually she married my grandfather who was also a Barnardo's child.I noticed to she said she didn't know her mother or father on marriage record.Would it be possible she was never told?You had a good point maybe Louisa gave a fake name.What do you mean by a foundling? In my research Louisa lived with her mother Eliza Archer in the 1891 England census as a dressmaker.She was 1 yr old when she was at the Pritchard's in 1891.I am wondering how they got my grandmother.They kept her ten yrs.She was eleven yrs old when I found her at Barnardo's.Also I tried to search er in the London England School Admissions & Discharges can't find her their either, would she have not gone to school while at the Pritchard's?Sorry I have so many questions,I hope I.m not being annoying.Thank you also for the St Pancras workhouse infirmary info.

Comment

here are those admitted in 1890 https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/co...on&keyword_x=1
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Workhouses often boarded out small children with foster parents, who would have been paid. Perhaps they died and that's how she finished up in Barnados.

A foundling is an abandoned baby or small child with no identity, so Daisy wasn't a foundling because you know her mother's name. It is very possible she was never told her mother's name, there was an appalling disregard for children's need to know.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                                        Do you have the birth certificate? is that where you found the workhouse/ infirmary information?
                                        Do you have anymore info re Louisa? What happened to her after the birth as Vera notes she was a nurse child on 1891 census
                                        https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource

Do you have her baptism? b Jan 25 probably 1890 because if an older child than an infant the age is generally given.
                                        24th March 1890 living 25 Euston Street, St Pancras - mother Louisa Archer.
                                        https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...194.1591780614

Or do you already have all the information for her and just want to know about the Workhouse.
                                        I'm sure it would be the ones in Islington - Upper Holloway Road

St John's Road - Upper Holloway - Islington Workhouse and Infirmary
                                        http://www.workhouses.org.uk/lit/EdwardsIslington.shtml
                                        the 1891 census is same address as the baptism, I am not sure if anyone pointed that out.

And even what it means
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X