• Show
Clear All

Cbc - see my post #15 above.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

OC

I’m a bit confused now. According to workhouses.org St Pancras workhouse was on King’s Road now known as St Pancras Way. The site is now St Pancras Hospital. 25 Euston Street is just over 1 mile away to the south.

Comment

Have tried searching for female with mms ARCHER born 1889/1890 just in case she wasn’t a newborn baby when baptised. Have tried Pancras and St Pancras districts and also Islington which it should be if the sub district was one of the Holloway ones.
        Have not found anything to match at all. Plenty Daisy and Ethel but not a Daisy Ethel in the right place.

Comment

Had a quick look at the baptism register and Daisy Ethel’s birthday was 25 January 1890. You can see the tail of the number 9 sticking out below the splodge of ink and as the baptism was March 1890, her year of birth can’t be anything but 1890.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

OC

sorry I don't know how I missed that, but am confused how it is the address of the infirmary. Were there houses included in the site then, as none of those say they are working/living in the infirmary and only a few people at that address. something like that is new to me.

Clearly I was half asleep as missed birth date column on baptism!
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

sorry I don't know how I missed that, but am confused how it is the address of the infirmary. Were there houses included in the site then, as none of those say they are working/living in the infirmary and only a few people at that address. something like that is new to me.

Clearly I was half asleep as missed birth date column on baptism!
              Don't be confused
              The 1891 and and baptism both have address of 25 Euston Street - a private house NOT 25 Pancras Street.
              Carolyn - I checked through the Islington workhouse records that you posted up for 1895 +/- 5 years and no admission for Daisy. However, it was also a hospital so it is quite likely that Louisa gave birth to her there not in the workhouse.

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Ahh OC has confused me. ha ha!

I knew it was Euston Street, just looking at map now, interesting that it is all being demolished for HS2, which I hadn't realised started with such a vengeance already.

I think some of the records are incomplete, just looking to see if there were gaps in the books.

A few workhouses in the area, at this stage sounds like it could be any
                have also stumbled across the Saint Pancras Female Orphanage building, which seems to been operating then too
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

For info I have pinpointed the days around birth at St Johns here:
                  https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...6_191423-00828

Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Oooh, sorry everyone! I googled 25 Euston Rd and up popped reference to the church and the old workhouse which became the hospital. I didn't bother checking the street number!

OC

Comment

EE6D9DFF-0949-4944-8846-EABABE6D6E07.jpeg

Maybe, possibly, could this be Louisa in 1881 before the birth of Daisy?? She is a single 18 year old dressmaker living at home.
                      The GRO record is definitely the same girl as the one in the census. She’s the only match for a Louisa E Archer in 1862/3. Shame she has a middle name of Emma and not Ethel !

0F80209F-4412-4911-8642-E3EC07F5F750.jpeg

(Carolyn made images a bit smaller
                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 11-06-20, 13:08.

Comment

As Ethel Daisy on 1901 census. Barnardos
                        https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...35&usePUB=true

Cannot see a birth for an Ethel Daisy either
                        Kat

Comment

DD2BFB46-65BF-48C0-AC21-A047357C678A.jpeg
                          If I am miraculously on the right track, this is the transcript of the marriage of the parents in the 1881 census. Image is on the other site (an****ry)

Comment

Again, if she’s the right one, Louisa Emma Archer left for NSW, Australia and married in 1895 to Joseph McGlynn. Plenty trees on ancestry have the same info. I’ve checked the first three but none have a marriage cert uploaded. No mention in them of Daisy though.
                            Got to go now. Shopping needs done.

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                              As Ethel Daisy on 1901 census. Barnardos
                              https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...35&usePUB=true

Cannot see a birth for an Ethel Daisy either
                              https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...82&usePUB=true
                              As Ethel Daisy on her marriage in Canada as bcbrit found earlier.

So why are we searching for Daisy. Is this just speculation?
                              Kat

Comment

Originally posted by petunia View Post
                                Thank you for sites address.I do't have her records from Barnardo's they are so expensive.Yes I know about the articles in the Barnardo's Ups & Downs magazine actually she married my grandfather who was also a Barnardo's child. I noticed to she said she didn't know her mother or father on marriage record.Would it be possible she was never told? You had a good point maybe Louisa gave a fake name.What do you mean by a foundling?

In my research Louisa lived with her mother Eliza Archer in the 1891 England census as a dressmaker. She was 1 yr old when she was at the Pritchard's in 1891. I am wondering how they got my grandmother. They kept her ten yrs. She was eleven yrs old when I found her at Barnardo's. Also I tried to search er in the London England School Admissions & Discharges can't find her their either, would she have not gone to school while at the Pritchard's? Sorry I have so many questions,I hope I.m not being annoying. Thank you also for the St Pancras workhouse infirmary info.
                                Did the magazine articles give any details of her life in the UK?

Do you have any proof that she stayed with Pritchards for 10 years? And like Kat says - do you know that this is your Daisy Ethel, as she then becomes Ethel Daisy - which is possible, but could be 2 different people potentially.

Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Summary here
                                  http://www.britishhomechildrenregist...n/bhcInfo/4740
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Sorry can't link on this device. Mary Pritchard Widow in 1901, boarding. Husband ? died 1899 St Pancras. Can't see Daisy Ethel/Ethel Daisy back in St Pancras w/hse before or after Mr Pritchard's death. Not seeing admission for birth in St John's w/hse either. Wonder about OC's comment re foundling?

Petunia. Where did you get info that Louisa was with mother Eliza in 1891. There are other possible Louisa's in St Pancras/Islington area at that time.

Not sure mother's name is Louisa. Baptism record of two children above that of Daisy Ethel give mother's name Louisa also.

Vera

Comment

Sorry for the delay of responding to everyone.I found proof of the Pritchard's in the 1891 England census. I have searched the British Home Children registry.I got the info that Louisa was with mother Eliza in 1891 from the society of genealogists in england. I would be interested in the other Louisa'a in St Pancras/Islington could you send them to me I will check this out.Could you send me the baptism record of the two children above that of Daisy Ethel I would be interested in seeing this.I am interested in the foundling comment how would I search that?

Comment

The 1891 census and the baptism ties Daisy Ethel Archer together (25 Euston Street) - so they are the same person

daisy.JPG

The records in Canada tie into the 1901 census with Ethel Daisy Archer with Barnardo's in Ilford.

But at the moment I think we are not sure how you know that these are the same people - what records do you have to tie them Ilford Ethel with Holloway Daisy?

1901 Census says place of birth not known.

I think curiosity would get the better of me and would have to apply to Barnardo's - share the cost with other family members (£25)? Not sure how many records they will have, but would tell you when she arrived in the home, and how I assume, not sure if anyone can advise on what you can expect.
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

If she was a foundling then the baptism could not have shown her mother's name. She may have been abandoned to the workhouse of course, or her mother may have arranged private fostering with the Pritchards.

I agree, you do need to get the Barnado record though. I know it is expensive and there is no guarantee that there will be anything useful - but if this were my ancestor I would have to know!

OC

Comment

Working...
                                          X