Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Researching Jewish records from Finland

Hi there,

I'm trying to do some research on my great-grandmother, with the legal name Rika Anker. She was born on 26 March 1895 in Helsingfors, Finland (Helsinki). I also have her parents' names.
    She and all of her ancestors were of Jewish descent. She immigrated to the United States through Ellis Island in New York in 1921.

My goal is to find a Finnish record of her birth, and where she might have lived in Helsinki.

As per this wiki article on Family Search, vital records are largely held within Church Parishes. Being that my ancestor is Jewish, I'm a bit stumped regarding what records I could use to determine more about her history in Finland before she moved. If anyone has any suggestions/experience regarding genealogical research for Jewish people in Finland, it would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if any further information is needed.

I would suggest working out when civil registration began for finland or in each region, in most western countries all citizens are recorded under civil registration. So would think it was the same in finland.

probably also best to look into the synagogues. There may be a jewish archive or museum that could hold records. Or the individual synagogues themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
      I would suggest working out when civil registration began for finland or in each region, in most western countries all citizens are recorded under civil registration. So would think it was the same in finland.

probably also best to look into the synagogues. There may be a jewish archive or museum that could hold records. Or the individual synagogues themselves?
      Thanks for the suggestion Kyle. I didn't think about the civil registration process, so I did some more digging based on your suggestion. It seems that in 1923 civil registration began, and my ancestor had already been born/left finland before that. I'll try looking into possible synagogues. Thanks again.

Comment

Might be useful?

Jewish Community in Helsinki
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Jewishgen may be able to help, at least to point you in the right direction.

I have a Finnish friend and she tells me their church and civil records are excellent, they record family trees. Just because your ancestors were Jewish doesn't mean they didn't attend church and appear in the records. Something to remember when you get further back.

OC

Comment

I believe there is a number of Finnish researchers on MyHeritage. Dunno if that also includes Jewish researchers. MH catalog lists 4 sources
            https://www.myheritage.com/research/...nd&s=328357581

My genetic cousin had a bunch of great connections on her Finnish line once she transferred her DNA results to MH. BUT she's not Jewish.

Comment

Working...
            X