Seax subscription anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seax subscription anyone?

Having watched David Olusoga showing us an actual Marriage Licence in his programme the other night made me question if it was possible to get a copy of one for a member of my own family.

My GGG grandfather John Crush (Deaf & Dumb master shoemaker) married Mary Anne Clift (a minor) by licence at Roxwell Church on 6 May 1835.

Rather than pay £20 for a one-day subscription only to find nothing, I would very much appreciate it if anyone with a Seax Sub could have a quick look for me. If you can find a Marriage Licence (or similar) a copy would be appreciated. If there is a charge involved please let me know and I will obviously purchase my own one-day sub!

With thanks

Bev

Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

yes I was curious about the marriage licence. I didnt know you could get a copy of those.

Comment

Gloryer

you can get a copy of most things - if you are prepared to pay, lol.

OC

Comment

Marriage licences records are not still in existence everywhere. I have tried in Cumberland records and the only thing left are transcriptions. On the other hand I have seen actual records similar to the one David Olusoga was showing us and transcriptions on FindmyPast for other places. Its a bit 'luck of the draw'. To be pedantic it wasn't the actual licence because that would have been given to the couple getting married. The Bond is like the guarantee that goes with the licence ..... £1000 was a very big one! Ones I have seen are more like £100 or even £10.
        Anne

Comment

have you searched and found a record set that is likely?
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Have you found it on the seax catalogue? I don't think they are included in the sub from memory.

Comment

I think I saw an old ERO blog dated 2016 that said they were in the process of transcribing the marriage licences and pretty much assumed that by now they would be available. I now think that you probably have to go to the Record Office to see them. It's a long way from the Sussex Coast to Chelmsford!

Thanks everybody for your input.

Bev
              Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

From memory you can order copies, but they were expensive. Seax in general is expensive and quite up themselves in comparison to the other record offices i've had dealings with.

Comment

Their online catalogue looks as if they have listed some of the names of people on marriage licences in their archives. Go to https://www.essexarchivesonline.co.uk and search> marriage licences clift (or crush). I cannot see any matches but see for yourself. You could try> marriage licence roxwell. There seems to be some bonds and allegations there for the period but not indexed.
                  Phil
                  historyhouse.co.uk
                  Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Many thanks Keldon. I went through everything relating to Roxwell and found details of a document for Bonds and Allegations 1826-1847. Can only be seen in the searchroom but I will send an e-mail and see what help they can give me.

Bev

Comment

Working...
                    X