• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family History Show Online - Sat 20th June 2020

Family History Show Online

Sat 20th June 2020, 10:00-16:30

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

I've got my ticket, n0w I just need to remember it's happening!
    Caroline
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks for the link, Caroline. I’ve just booked a ticket, too. And we don’t need a train ride and a Travelodge this time
      Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
        Thanks for the link, Caroline. I’ve just booked a ticket, too. And we don’t need a train ride and a Travelodge this time
        Yes and much cheaper too!! Shame to not get there in person though.
        Caroline

Comment

I've logged in now, explored and claimed my goody bag. This will be a very well spent £5.50!

The goody bag is a 6 month sub to Discover Your Ancestors Periodical and a family history guide/catalogue.
          There are 5 live talks - which will be available for 24 hours so not stuck at the screen.
          Loads of exhibitors with links to their "stalls".
          Possibility of live Q and As with Ask the Experts- you can send them in now.

Are GG and I really the only takers? Still only £5.50 - £6 on the day.

Caroline

Comment

I've just logged in and grabbed my goody bag, too. Can't wait till this evening to have time to sit and have a read. The talks look interesting, too. Should be a good day. Maybe we can have a virtual coffee part way through the day, Caroline? Will send you a message later
            Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
              I've just logged in and grabbed my goody bag, too. Can't wait till this evening to have time to sit and have a read. The talks look interesting, too. Should be a good day. Maybe we can have a virtual coffee part way through the day, Caroline? Will send you a message later
              That's a good idea!!
              Caroline

Comment

I really was thinking of taking part but I am really disappointed that there are no societies/exhibitors from Norfolk, Suffolk or Essex apart from Felixstowe FHS going to be there.
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                  I really was thinking of taking part but I am really disappointed that there are no societies/exhibitors from Norfolk, Suffolk or Essex apart from Felixstowe FHS going to be there.
                  That's a pity.
                  Caroline

Comment

I didn’t buy a ticket because none of the talk titles grabbed my attention that much that it can’t wait until they eventually appear on YouTube. Also no societies exhibiting from Staffordshire, Shropshire or Ayrshire.
                    Thanks for letting us know what the freebie is. When you say family history guide / catalogue, is that the little booklet produced by MyHistory (or was it S&N Genealogy, can’t remember which) that comes with their product list? The same thing I got with my purchase of FamilyHistorian?

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                      I didn’t buy a ticket because none of the talk titles grabbed my attention that much that it can’t wait until they eventually appear on YouTube. Also no societies exhibiting from Staffordshire, Shropshire or Ayrshire.
                      Thanks for letting us know what the freebie is. When you say family history guide / catalogue, is that the little booklet produced by MyHistory (or was it S&N Genealogy, can’t remember which) that comes with their product list? The same thing I got with my purchase of FamilyHistorian?
                      The show is run by TheGenealogist so It's the S&N - https://genealogysupplies.com/ - one. Some of their stuff is the same as MyHistory but not all of it.

Anguline Research Archives is there - I have got my Shropshire stuff through them.
                      Caroline

Comment

I am more likely to get stuff from the publishers who are listed. They cover all over the place. I have mostly already got CDs for the counties I am interested in - and a great deal of that is now online since I bought them anyway. - but it reminds me of places I may not have kept up to date with for their new offerings.
                        Caroline

Comment

I am a bit like the others, I know its extremely cheap, but the talks haven't inspired me too much, Chris Baker's one will be good, but I'm guessing a basic guide to searching military ancestors, rather than advanced help.
                          My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                            Anguline Research Archives is there - I have got my Shropshire stuff through them.
                            Talking of which, I haven’t seen Guy on here for yonks. Hope he’s well.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post

Talking of which, I haven’t seen Guy on here for yonks. Hope he’s well.
                              He decided to take a break.
                              Caroline

Comment

I watched two so far.

The first one about brickwalls was actually all about which records there are on TheGenealogist with some tips which could apply on other sites too- since I have a sub it was worth watching for me as I often forget it's there unless I am looking for tithe maps or non-con records.

Paying today's £6.00 would get you a very good deal on their Diamond sub at less than half price (with some extras) for ever.

The DNA was an excellent presentation covering an introduction to DNA. Even if you think you know all about it, it is well worth a watch and if you are considering testing then again, well worth watching.

The talks are still available until tomorrow.
                                About half the exhibitors have live Qs and As running , (including Dumfries & Galloway FHS I noticed), others might have signed up since I last looked as they have moved around on the page. They seem to come and go for their "live" bit.
                                Caroline

Comment

Tips and tricks for online research is only about using TheGenealogist's website and is aimed at beginners. I found you can fast forward once you have started so I have finished that one now.

I wasn't going to watch the house hIstory one, but I think I will as it might be interesting from a general knowledge point of view. Then I shall watch the Q and As.
                                  Caroline

Comment

I only chose 3 talks and two of them were promoting TheGenealogist software so it was a bit disappointing in a way. Having said that, for people who were looking to buy a new piece of software, the show offer was very good value and it did look like a good piece of software.

It made a change for a Saturday though, with a bit of gardening in between talks which you certainly couldn't do at a live show

Comment

Apparently they had connection/server issues first thing ( I had no problems) and so the talks will remain available for 48 hours. The Q and As had some sound issues but once they got going they are very interesting and I can sometimes smuggly sit here and think, "I know that!!".

The house one was interesting and covered many different areas/sites/records to look at.
                                      Caroline

Comment

I gave in eventually and joined this afternoon as I figured the magazine sub really was a bit of a bargain. I will look at the DNA talk on Monday seeing as they are there for an extra day.
                                        The offer on the Genealogist Diamond sub seems a good one as it renews at the offer price every year. Could somebody who has a Diamond sub please tell me which counties are covered in the Non-Conformist parish records and also the other parish records. If they are strong on Staffordshire, Cheshire, Shropshire, Flintshire and Lancashire in particular, it would be worth my while to give it a go for a year anyway.
                                        I need to decide before 9am tomorrow morning but I did see that in the Q&As, they are doing another similar online event in September with a sub offer.

Comment

Working...
                                        X