• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Society of Genealogists- Live SoG Online Talks via Zoom

Online events coming up soon.

£5 for members, £10 for non-members.

Live SoG Online Talks via Zoom

The full programme of events goes further in to the year.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. Socrates

I've booked for My Ancestors Worked in Textile Mills and My Ancestor was a Blacksmith in July - maybe I will see you there?
    Caroline

Comment

For anyone interested in becoming a professional researcher, I will be doing one of these for the SoG on 25th July.

http://www.sog.org.uk/books-courses/...a-professional
      I am a professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, based in Buckinghamshire - please contact me for any help/advice or research via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
        For anyone interested in becoming a professional researcher, I will be doing one of these for the SoG on 25th July.

http://www.sog.org.uk/books-courses/...a-professional
        I saw that ..... I might be tempted to watch later on but I'll stick to being an amateur.
        Caroline

Comment

A reminder of the courses in July.

These are open to non-members, you just pay a little bit more.

sog-online-july.jpg

Caroline

Comment

There is a lot more about other useful sites in their newsletter:

http://www.sog.org.uk/uploads/Newsle..._July_2020.pdf
            Caroline

Comment

The Society of Genealogists is pleased to offer the following Online Events to help you trace your family history.

We will use Zoom and the application is free and easy to use. If you have not used Zoom before, you can find out more and download the application ahead of time here. Each live talk will include a question and answer session.

All bookings must be made online and SoG members should remember to log in first, in order to receive the member discount.

The complete listing of our online talks can now be found on our website
              here which will be updated as we add new events.

You can also view further information on joining our talks

This is just the list, there is more detail on coverage, cost etc. on their website.

Saturday, 1 August 10:30-13:00 - My Ancestor Came from Yorkshire
              Wednesday, 5 August 14:00-15:00 – SoG Orientation Lecture: How to use the Document and Special Collections at the SoG Library
              Thursday, 6 August 10:30-11:30 – DNA for Beginners Q&A
              Saturday, 8 August 10:30-11:30 - Creating a Website for Family History
              Saturday, 8 August 16:00-17:00 – 1169 and all That: Ireland’s Tumultuous History
              Wednesday, 12 August 14:00-15:00 - Paupers
              Thursday, 13 August 14:00-15:00 – 1169 and all That: Ireland’s Tumultuous History - repeat
              Saturday, 15 August 10:30-13:15 Evidence of Migration in the 1800s using Local Records
              Saturday, 15 August 14:30-15:45 – Migrants: What Sort of Records did they activate when they arrived in the United States and Canada
              Wednesday, 19 August 14:00-15:00 - Lunchtime Chat: What have you found in your Family History during Lockdown?
              Saturday, 22 August 10:30-11:30 – Medicine at Sea: Poxed and Scurvied
              Saturday, 22 August 16:00-17:00 – Dead and Buried, Not Forgotten: Churchyards, Cemeteries and their Records
              Wednesday, 26 August 14:00-15:00 - Voting Records for Genealogists 1699-1969: Online & Archive Sources at SoG and Elsewhere
              Thursday, 27 August 14:00-15:00 - Using Social Media for your Family History
              Saturday, 29 August 10:30-11:30 – My Ancestor was an Agricultural Labourer
              Saturday, 29 August 16:00-17:00 - Records of Nonconformity: Hatched, Matched & Dispatched Outside the Church of England

There are also online events already listed for September

Caroline

Comment

These online talks are a brilliant way of reminding you what you know and gave lots of ideas of where to look further. Yesterday's one about the Blacksmith was well attended and informative. The same speaker is doing the ag lab one in July.

I hope they continue them. I'm a member, but even £10 for a non-member and sitting in my armchair instead of having to go up to London and back, which takes most of the day, is great. The downside is not being able to get at their collections which are not online at the same time, as that was why I joined.
                Caroline

Comment

If you have always wanted to do a Family history course, maybe this will tempt you?

http://www.sog.org.uk/uploads/stage_1skills2020.pdf

Price £225.00/£180.00 (SoG members) Thursday evenings for 13 weeks.

(I see that Antony M is a tutor .)
                  Caroline

Comment

Yesterday's talk about Textile mill workers was really interesting. It was a lot longer than the advertised hour so very well worth it!! Even if you think you know a lot already about the topic they give other places to explore. They are open to non-members as well, you just pay a bit more for them.

I've signed up for another couple in November and am mithering about a couple more in September/October:

AntonyM with Your Buckinghamshire Ancestors and Tracing Brewery & Publican Ancestors.
                    Caroline

Comment

Working...
                    X