Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor breakthrough!

Hi all

I can't remember if I told you about an informant on a death cert that I didn't know where she fit in. Well after a mad afternoon scouring Ancestry for some sort of glimmer I have SMASHED through the brickwall and found where she fit in.. I was beginning to doubt myself as I thought I had the wrong death cert as nothing that was on the cert connected to my family.. I had this cert since 2005 and not really paid it much attention until recently, not liking loose ends I decided to team up with another family member and began the detective work.
    A complete afternoon of searching and checking then double checking and I have solved the initial question and found another family twig!.. I'm like a dog with two tails!! a very happy bunny!..

Moral of this story... ALWAYS QUESTION what is written before you, you may well end up with newfound twigs and families!
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

That sounds interesting. Can you tell us more?
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

well done, none that have been on here?
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
        That sounds interesting. Can you tell us more?
        I can via PM but tbh all of the trees I have checked don't have this info... so either no-one is actively researching this line OR they don't know about it. [or don't care!] Atm there are two people that know this info, myself and one other. I may be a little selfish here but I feel a bit protective of the info I have found through very close scrutiny of the evidence before me. Do you think that is wrong? I would hate to think that Joe Soap can trot along and filch the info and not even bother to check it. [and that makes me cross!] so for now the info is going into my personal tree, that isn't online at all.
        Julie

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
          well done, none that have been on here?
          I couldn't find a topic Carolyn, but it is Poole related....lol..
          Julie

Comment

I didn’t mean to ask for the personal details, more interested in the type of thing you meant by “.. ALWAYS QUESTION what is written before you” No worries though if you want to keep it private
            Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

I may be a little selfish here but I feel a bit protective of the info I have found through very close scrutiny of the evidence before me. Do you think that is wrong? I would hate to think that Joe Soap can trot along and filch the info and not even bother to check it. [and that makes me cross!]
              not at all. I'm the same. If you put so much time, effort and let's face it, money into it; then you shouldn't feel bad about keeping it private. So many people add things to their tree and not even bother to check it's relevant. I had a lady ask me to give her access to my tree recently. She told me her great grandmother's name and nothing else. I have two large families of that surname, so asked for more details to clarify and turns out she isn"t even related.....
              ​​​​​

Comment

Well done, sometimes these little breakthroughs are the best.

I had a family that went back forever on loads of other peoples trees, I thoroughly investigated everything and agrees with them, years later when all the burials/ deaths can on line my, so I thought, G G Grandfather had died aged about 6, so it was all rubbish. I have altered it and sorted it all out but not put it on line.
                Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I didn’t mean to ask for the personal details, more interested in the type of thing you meant by “.. ALWAYS QUESTION what is written before you” No worries though if you want to keep it private
                  Not at all GG it's difficult to explain..lol.. basically I have a death cert and sort of skim read it and put it in the folder with the others, But when I was contacted by a family member it made me realise that I had NO CLUE who the informant was. Said it was a relative that I wasn't aware of. The name on the death cert was also missing a middle name and the address of the informant just didn't ring any bells. I then began doubting myself and wondering IF I had the wrong info.

I checked through the tree very carefully to see if I could find this missing informant.. no, definitely not there. Ok, so what do I do? I rechecked ALL of the deaths in the index and this was the correct one. So what next? I see if I can find who was living at the address.. a few misses and then a hit then several more hits.. whey hey!! bingo.. gotya.

I guess it's just a case of scrutinising and building a picture from very little info. Even the tiniest bit of info can lead to a chink in that armour-plated wall.
                  Julie

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post

not at all. I'm the same. If you put so much time, effort and let's face it, money into it; then you shouldn't feel bad about keeping it private. So many people add things to their tree and not even bother to check it's relevant. I had a lady ask me to give her access to my tree recently. She told me her great grandmother's name and nothing else. I have two large families of that surname, so asked for more details to clarify and turns out she isn"t even related.....
                    ​​​​​
                    Thanks Kyle, it's not so much the monetary effort it's just the fact that NO ONE seems to have questioned it and just taken it 'as a given' that Sally registered Bobs death and not even bothered to see who Sally was! or checked any other info that was there in plain sight!.. maybe it's just me and I like to have every little bit watertight.

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                    Well done, sometimes these little breakthroughs are the best.

I had a family that went back forever on loads of other peoples trees, I thoroughly investigated everything and agrees with them, years later when all the burials/ deaths can on line my, so I thought, G G Grandfather had died aged about 6, so it was all rubbish. I have altered it and sorted it all out but not put it on line.
                    Gives you a real good feelgood feeling though doesn't it? Knowing that you know what they don't?
                    Julie

Comment

Well done, must be very gratifying to have solved the mystery. On to the next one now?

Comment

It’s very satisfying to tie up loose ends. Without giving anything away, can you tell us what relation the informant was to the deceased?

Comment

Well done, must be very gratifying to have solved the mystery. On to the next one now?
                          Oh yes it is! just trying to dot i's and cross t's now with the census.. and for some reason a date of death that I entered yesterday from who knows where
                          wasn't what it should have been..

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                          It’s very satisfying to tie up loose ends. Without giving anything away, can you tell us what relation the informant was to the deceased?
                          exactly what it said in the cert. [I was gonna say tin!..lol] SIL.
                          Julie

Comment

It's always a great feeling when you smash through a brick wall. I've had that recently finding a person's name and thinking who is that? Amazingly, after a lot of digging and documents galore, it was another tiny twig to a line I didn't know existed. A definite eureka moment! Well done you!
                            Craig

Comment

Working...
                            X