TNA lookup please..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TNA lookup please..

If anyone has the time to have a look at TNAs workhouse records for me I would be very grateful. I cannot for the life of me work out how to use this site and just when I think I have sussed it, it confuses me yet again.

I am after admission/death records for Birmingham Workhouse infirmary, Western Road. The death occurred in March 1907 and the name is Frederick Poole.
    Not sure if these are the same records that are also on FMP [according to Google]

thank you very much
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

oh and another thing.. can you search 1911 census by address? I can't seem to see where on Ancestry how to do this!..

TIA x
    Julie

Comment

It’s FMP that has the address search field by address for 1911 census.
      Am looking at records list on that site for Birmingham Workhouse Infirmary and finding nothing. Can you post the link in google which said they are on FMP?

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
        It’s FMP that has the address search field by address for 1911 census.
        Am looking at records list on that site for Birmingham Workhouse Infirmary and finding nothing. Can you post the link in google which said they are on FMP?
        it's just an advert that says they have the wh recs

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/sear...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

it'll more than likely say it's Dudley Road rather than Western Road.. I think I have found the address for the informant on 1911 census and I'm just chasing that up atm trying to find a m/c..

Thank you for looking GL it is very much appreciated. [just wish I could search TNA myself.. it'd be so much easier!.. esp whilst the digital archives are free atm too!]
        Julie

Comment

FMP has some workhouse records, but not Birmingham. TNA doesn't hold records of individual workhouses either really - but does have correspondence to/from the Poor Law Unions.

According to http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Birmingham/ the records you want might be at Birmingham Archives.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
            oh and another thing.. can you search 1911 census by address? I can't seem to see where on Ancestry how to do this!..

TIA x
            yes - for 1911 - just add to the keyword, I often click the exact box, get differing results

ancestry.JPG
            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 03-06-20, 15:22.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Have found a reference to the records you want on TBA site but they don’t hold them. The are with Birmingham: Archives, Heritage and Photography Service

They have records of admissions and discharges 1890 - 1960 for City Hospital, Birmingham alternative names Birmingham WorkHouse Infirmary; Dudley Road Hospital

also for same place
              Register of Baptisms 1892 - 1965
              Records incl. statistical records, patient records incl. registers, chapel records, staff records, journals, housekeeping records 1891 - 2003
              Maternity registers, misc records and material belonging to Edward William George Casewell 1887 - 1987

Contact details;
              Library of Birminham
              Centenary Square
              Broad Street
              Birmingham
              B1 2ND

0121 242 4242
              archives.heritage@birmingham.gov.uk
              Last edited by GallowayLass; 03-06-20, 15:27. Reason: additional info

Comment

putting in workhouse in keyword instead gives you this:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti..._18060_0179_31

also it is sometimes easier to search the summary books

Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
                  FMP has some workhouse records, but not Birmingham. TNA doesn't hold records of individual workhouses either really - but does have correspondence to/from the Poor Law Unions.

According to http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Birmingham/ the records you want might be at Birmingham Archives.
                  ahh thank you Antony, I guess I'll have to wait until they reopen.
                  Julie

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                    Have found a reference to the records you want on TBA site but they don’t hold them. The are with Birmingham: Archives, Heritage and Photography Service

They have records of admissions and discharges 1890 - 1960 for City Hospital, Birmingham alternative names Birmingham WorkHouse Infirmary; Dudley Road Hospital

also for same place
                    Register of Baptisms 1892 - 1965
                    Records incl. statistical records, patient records incl. registers, chapel records, staff records, journals, housekeeping records 1891 - 2003
                    Maternity registers, misc records and material belonging to Edward William George Casewell 1887 - 1987

Contact details;
                    Library of Birminham
                    Centenary Square
                    Broad Street
                    Birmingham
                    B1 2ND

0121 242 4242
                    archives.heritage@birmingham.gov.uk
                    https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/archives
                    ahh pooh thank you GL guess I'll be waiting a bit then. I know he died 1907 march as I have his d/cert but wondered if it gave an address prior to being admitted or family details.
                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

yes - for 1911 - just add to the keyword, I often click the exact box, get differing results

ancestry.JPG
                      brill thanks Carolyn, I think I have found it.
                      Julie

Comment

not the question you're asking, but -
                        FamilySearch's catalog has general rate assessments, unindexed but images online. For instance:

so some of the records are from the 1900s.

Here's the Birmingham records, I've opened the poor law records, which includes the tax assessments

maybe they have the area that you're interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                          not the question you're asking, but -
                          FamilySearch's catalog has general rate assessments, unindexed but images online. For instance:

so some of the records are from the 1900s.

Here's the Birmingham records, I've opened the poor law records, which includes the tax assessments

maybe they have the area that you're interested in.
                          Cool Sarah thank you I'll have a look. Am frantically searching the net and cooking dinner as well as replying on here.. and email..lol mad multitasking!
                          Julie

Comment

Working...
                          X