No announcement yet.

WW1 Army Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ann, the early birth records now have MMN on the GRO web site. Not very good at putting up links but I'm sure someone on here will help you. You then have to sign in and if you put fathers surname and mothers maiden name you should have the children but remember spelling is always a problem!!

Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Not sure what to make of this but popping it here in case. Jessie Coombes birth Dec 1898 Woolwich mmn Tuberfield. Is that too far away from Chipperfield!!
      Lin

Comment

Here's a link to the 1901 census image

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...673.1580498546

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Birth of Bruce Keeble, eldest child of the Keebles in 1901 census, was registered in 1887, mmn Chipperfield, confirming link between Charlotte Isabella & Mrs Keeble.

If Jessie was registered as Coombes, that seems to suggest that by time of her birth Richard and Charlotte had split up.

Workhouse records could be useful for dates and details of admissions, discharges. We have to bear in mind that census was only a snapshot of who was allegedly sleeping where on a particular night and that the information was not always right and depended on what the householder chose to reveal/enumerator could make out from the information he was given.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I need to put all the names of the children and the new man down on paper and work my way through. I think I saw a message right at the beginning of the forum that tells you how to sign in to GRO and I will give it a look. What a story is coming out of just asking for help with an army record
            Regards
            Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Oldie View Post
              I need to put all the names of the children and the new man down on paper and work my way through. I think I saw a message right at the beginning of the forum that tells you how to sign in to GRO and I will give it a look. What a story is coming out of just asking for help with an army record
              Regards
              Ann
              here are a few ideas on using the MMN
              https://www.familytreeforum.com/foru...aiden-name-mmn

Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I have followed the directions and am registered with GRO thank you
                Ann

Comment

Seems like Henry may have been a witness at his sister Adelaide's marriage to Edwin Fuller in Jan 1912??? Mr Fuller had previously served in the army (Royal Garrison Artillery?)before being put on the reserve list in 1909

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Well done Janet.
                    Lin

Comment

Thank you Janet, It is good to see that some good things happened after years in and out of workhouses
                      Regard Ann

Comment

I'm hoping that I've got the right Adelaide????? Have just found a December 1905 workhouse admission & discharge for ADA Adelaide Wynn b1889. The workhouse bit seems to fit with Charlotte and some of the other younger children.
                        Wonder where she was in 1911?

ETA - could this be her?
                        https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

It could well be. I can remember seeing a census with Ada Wynn (not this one) and I ignored it at the time, but now anything could be her. I am off searching
                          Kind regards
                          Ann

Comment

Here (I hope)is another census for 1911 for Ada Wynn which has her birthplace as Woolwich. Now Woolwich and Plumstead are next to one another. Ada cant be on the same census twice can she
                            I was unable to copy and paste the link but she is in a household in Charlton Village
                            William Henry Nicholas Head
                            Amelia Nicholas Wife
                            Herbert Lennord Nicholas Son
                            Ada Wynn
                            I am really not sure
                            Regards Ann

Comment

I wasn't sure either, Ann. I'm not even sure that the daughter of Charlotte Isabella was Ada Adelaide. However, I can't find anything to confirm she wasn't, nor any other potential records for Adelaide Winn. I think you will have to try and track various possible candidates and see what records seem to match up with which girls. If only that marriage to Edwin Fuller had not been at a registry office, then it might have been possible to view the marriage details online and see what name was given for the bride's father.
                              Can anyone find out what happened to Jessie or any of the other younger children??? I've often found that tracing the whole family can help to solve mysteries.

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Is this Charlotte in 1939? Does it fit with the other electoral references you already have?

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource

I'm trying to build up some sort of profile of the family but I have to go offline shortly.
                                Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Seems Richard & Charlotte had two daughters baptised on the same day

Baptised as Adelaide, rather than Ada Adelaide - in the realms of fantasy, perhaps she had "Ada" as a pet name????? Can anyone find Adelaide (just Adelaide!) in 1911? I've been concentrating on her due to Adelaide being the most uncommon of the children's forenames

Jay
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Yes Jay that is my Charlotte. The road she is in was where my primary school was and I had other relatives there. I feel I wished I had known her as her life was not easy. Thank you all for your help. I have been checking the new to me children but I will carry on tomorrow. I wondered about Ada as a pet name, I will look at workhouses tomorrow and see what matches
                                    Regards Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                                      I wasn't sure either, Ann. I'm not even sure that the daughter of Charlotte Isabella was Ada Adelaide. However, I can't find anything to confirm she wasn't, nor any other potential records for Adelaide Winn. I think you will have to try and track various possible candidates and see what records seem to match up with which girls. If only that marriage to Edwin Fuller had not been at a registry office, then it might have been possible to view the marriage details online and see what name was given for the bride's father.
                                      Can anyone find out what happened to Jessie or any of the other younger children??? I've often found that tracing the whole family can help to solve mysteries.

Jay
                                      re Jessie. As you know there were lots of w/house admissions for the various children. I did look into Jessie but did not post at time. I do believe, if I am remembering correctly, Jessie resided in an establishment for children with learning difficulties. Will double check and add links.

I was just thinking about father Richard (possibly the one recorded in 1901 census at soup kitchen in W. London) if his 'desertion' was because help would have not been given to Charlotte and the children if he remained at home albeit as an unemployed General Labour. All very sad.

Vera

Comment

I think it may have been a school in Kent???? Vera. If so, I didn't pick up on the learning difficulties.

Ann, have you got Richard's (the father) army record? Vera, seems he was in the army twice and there is reference to his wife Charlotte and children Richard & Adelaide. I think he was discharged for the second time in 1896, maybe they found life together difficult and decided to go their own ways???

Jay
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                                          I think it may have been a school in Kent???? Vera. If so, I didn't pick up on the learning difficulties.

Ann, have you got Richard's (the father) army record? Vera, seems he was in the army twice and there is reference to his wife Charlotte and children Richard & Adelaide. I think he was discharged for the second time in 1896, maybe they found life together difficult and decided to go their own ways???

Jay
                                          Got waylaid with a tc. Yes, it's the workhouse school at Sidcup. Think one at least of the boys also there. Jessie was in the Infirmary a few times. Remember seeing a later referral at one time for a Jessie Wynn to a Mental Health establishment. Need to double check.

Saw Richard's Army record. Looked briefly. Went AWOL a couple of times but ?then sett!ed. Maybe could not settle to civilian life.

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                          X