WW1 Army Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 Army Records

I am trying to find the ww1 army records for my grandfather. Henry Wynn born 1893 in Woolwich died 1933 in Woolwich. Married Louisa Ann Sumner in 1915. They had 1 child born in 1914. I really have tried so hard on Ancestry to find anything but no luck. Maybe they were destroyed but I will ask anyway. I had a photo of him in uniform with the poem about poppies in Flanders Field on the back so he was in some unit
    Regards Ann

What are his parents name or siblings?

Comment

Where was he in 1911/1901 census? Do you have the marriage cert?

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

His parents are Richard and Charlotte Isabella Wynn. I cannot find him on either census nor his parents except the father Richard is in a workhouse in Dartford in 1911. He was a bad one. His sisters were Amy Adelaide and Eleanor. He had a brother Richard. I do not have a marriage certificate. Thank you for replying Regards Ann

Comment

I've had a look and not got very far. Only found them on 1891 census.

Other siblings I have found are Ann 1891, William 1901 and Gertrude 1904. Brother Richard was born Richard Alexander Wynn 1884. There are some deaths for that name on CWGC but not sure if it is him. Also Richard the father said he was a widow on 1911 census but can't find a death or remarriage for Charlotte.

Looks like Richard died in 1914.

Might help anyone who looks for him.
          Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Richard was lying when he said he was a widow. I know she was still alive as she was on an electoral roll living on the same road as other relatives of mine. Yes he died in 1914. I dont recognise the other names but I will look and thank you very much.
            Regards Ann

Comment

Think this could be the father in 1901
              https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...443a7650745aca

Haven't found mother or children

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Here is elder brother Richard Alexander in 1911 - in the military.
                https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource

MMN of both boys (Richard Alexander & Henry) was Chipperfield. Parents married in Woolwich in 1880.

Perhaps the parents split and Charlotte & children were recorded with a different surname??

Ann, was she recorded as Charlotte Wynn on the electoral roll record you found? Where and when?

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

There were 2 death of Richard Alexander Wynn in WW1 but couldn't decide if any were the one we were looking for. Without looking again I think one died in Bombay and the other was on the Basra memorial.

If Richard and Charlotte were separated perhaps the younger children I found weren't his. But both were Wynn mmn Chiperfield
                  Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                    There were 2 death of Richard Alexander Wynn in WW1 but couldn't decide if any were the one we were looking for. Without looking again I think one died in Bombay and the other was on the Basra memorial.

If Richard and Charlotte were separated perhaps the younger children I found weren't his. But both were Wynn mmn Chiperfield
                    I think that still would apply if Richard and Charlotte were separated or if she was cohabiting with another man, but not married to him. The BC would be the only means of finding out more information and perhaps Ann wouldn't want to buy one of those.

Jay

Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post

I think the one commemorated on the Basra memorial was born in 1899, so not Henry's brother. I can't find another Richard Alexander - found an R A Wynn of the right age, husband of Mildred Florence, but I think that would have been Richard Alfred, who married Mildred Florence Dean in 1909. Richard Alfred's mmn was Edmonds, birth reg 1894 Bethnal Green.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Oldie View Post
                        I am trying to find the ww1 army records for my grandfather. Henry Wynn born 1893 in Woolwich died 1933 in Woolwich. Married Louisa Ann Sumner in 1915. They had 1 child born in 1914. I really have tried so hard on Ancestry to find anything but no luck. Maybe they were destroyed but I will ask anyway. I had a photo of him in uniform with the poem about poppies in Flanders Field on the back so he was in some unit
                        Regards Ann
                        There is a baptism record for him on FMP (transcription only) which gives a baptism date of 30 Nov 1893 (but not exact date of birth unfortunately), son of Richard and Charlotte, baptised St John's, Wellington Street, Woolwich.

So I wondered if this attestation (again, transcription only) also on FMP is a possibility. His age on 1st Sep 1915 makes him 21 years and 10 months so is in roughly the right ballpark for being born Oct/Nov 1893 matching with Nov 1893 baptism. Couldn't screenshot the whole transcript but record set on FMP is Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment Rough Register Of Recruits 1914-1917.

image.png
                        Christine
                        Researching:
                        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

dont know if you have seen this or even if it helps but the father was a deserter

Name Richard Wynn
                          Age 27
                          Birth Year Abt 1851
                          Birth Place Liverpool
                          Desertion Date 01/01/1878
                          Desertion Place Woolwich
                          Publication Date 25/01/1878
                          Regimental Number 1180 Military Corps Army Service

Comment

Snap! - I 've just been looking at that one, Christine

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

not sure what records you have from Woolwich Workhouse
                              Henry Wynn
                              Discharge
                              abt 1894
                              23 Dec 1902
                              Greenwich, Greenwich, London, England

Comment

The baptism for Henry is on Ancestry. Born what looks like 28/09/1893.

Vera

Comment

I will look at Richard Alexander after I have sorted out the other children and Charlotte the mother. I have opened a really complicated can of worms. There is a Charlotte in a workhouse but not the childrens names I know and it does say husband Richard deserted her. I am going to have a quiet time to check in case we have 2 Charlottes and I am chasing the wrong one.
                                  Thank you all
                                  Ann

Comment

Jay I would say that census is Richard. He died in a workhouse in Dartford. 1939 was the date of the electoral roll and census where Charlotte was a Wynn
                                    Christine I have copied the army record and will keep it. I do not have FMP. Thank you

The workhouse record for Charlotte has the children as Albert, Jessie, Hy and William.

Comment

There is this 1901 for Coombes family

James b 1842 Cornwall Feb Lab
                                      Charlotte b 1864 Woolwich
                                      Henry b 1894. "
                                      ​​​​​​Albert b 1896. "
                                      Jessie b 1898. "

Living 52 Glenforth St Greenwich

Can't see any birth records for children under Coombes
                                      There is a GRO for a William Wynn reg Sep a 1901 mmn Chipperfield ? as in w/house record 1902/03

Vera

Albert b 1896

Comment

Vera thank you for the information. This gets stranger. On that census there is another family at that address surname Keeble although spelt slightly different. The wife Emily is Charlottes sister.
                                        I have been doing my tree since 1999 and have never had anything like this. My old brain is whirling but I am so pleased to be getting somewhere. Another thing to add to my list for me to do is did James and Charlotte marry and if so was it bigamous because I cant see any of them affording a divorce as they end up in the workhouse. I cant see mmn on gro records. Is this all too early
                                        Regards Ann

Comment

Working...
                                        X