elizabeth saunders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elizabeth saunders

I wonder if somebody will be able to help with Elizabeth SAUNDERS b jan 1825 Great Peckham d 1887 married to William FREEMAN. He died 1863 and she remarried to Richard COPPINS 1866. I have her parents as William SAUNDERS b1798 and Elizabeth Louisa BOYD b1802 Bromley. I have been getting smart matches and people suggesting we are connected through this family but I dont really know much about her or her parents. I know about her offspring with FREEMAN as thats my connection but I am wondering if she had children with COPPINS and that may be whats generating the sudden interest. Any extra information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi gloryer, I have checked the GRO for births COPPINS with MMN SAUNDERS, and there is no records 1864 to 1880, so looks like they did not have any children. Robert

Comment

I have just noticed that there are a few births COPPIN and Saunders, but in Somerset, could it be them. Robert

Comment

Here is the Marriage record, he is a Richard Coppin not Coppins
        Marriage Record for Richard Coppin
        in the District of Maidstone
        Richard Coppin
        Maidstone, Kent
        Eliza Freeman
        2A
        July - September 1866
        Robert

Comment

I ahve just checked the 1881 Census, and it is not the family you are looking for, sorry thought I had found them.
          Robert

Comment

Thank you. I think this is probably why I gave up on this line before. One of the smart matches was for Elizabeths father William Saunders but I think that one was from Buckinghamshire which doesnt bare any relevance to my lot from Kent area, Strange how some people just disappear. Perhaps I ought to start checking the passenger lists. lol

Comment

Just found a death for Eliza COPPIN on freebmd at Gravesend 1895 aged 68 but the parish records she is listed as aged 73. I had her birth as 1825 so I am assuming this is her so they must have stayed in Kent

Comment

a bit of a twist in the tale. By the 1881 census Richard Coppin (60) had a new wife, Lucy (55). Also living with them were Elizabeth Freeman's daughter Lucy (20) and son Joseph (17). Two other stepchildren are named as Alfred Cherry (34) & Elizabeth Cherry (27). They were living at Loose, Kent, recorded as Richard Coppins.
                Elizabeth was with Richard in 1871, so must have died between 1871 - 1881. But I cant find her death and I would assume that the new wife would be known as Lucy Cherry but i dont see a marriage for her with Richard Coppin

Comment

UPDATE... so glad I started looking into this one as its thrown up a few surprises. . the 1881 census has Richard with wife Lucy but its not it is Eliza Freeman . The step daughter Lucy Cherry is the daughter of Eliza Freeman who is married to Alfred Cherry. I thought i might order the marriage certificate for William Freeman and Elizabeth Saunders but couldnt find the marriage. Lo and behold his name somehow changed from Fryman to Freeman so even my 2nd great grandfather who I have as Thomas Freeman is registered as Thomas Fryman. I have seen the banns for their marriage.
                  Just goes to show you can never take anything at face value. This must have been one of the lines I did when I first started and was clean and green so probably gave up going any further with it as i didnt know about the possible name changes. I dont have any subscriptions at the moment so dont know if I can find anything else. Keep digging. lol

Comment

Working...
                  X