adoption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adoption

I am helping my son in law find his grandfathers adoption records. I have his adoption birth certificate plus his original birth certificate. I know the birth parents names and the date he was adopted and through which court. His Grandfather is deceased so he can access his records plus he has the backing of his Dad. We have been quoted £1000.00 to obtain his file which is outrageously expensive so I am trying to help him apply for the file but not having any luck, can anyone offer any advice as to how I can get the file. The court was Bromesgrove which no longer exists but comes under Worcester. I know adoption is very sensitive but do not understand why they make it so difficult for family members. Any help would be most appreciated as I am getting very frustrated with the process.
    GWEN

As far as I understand it, the law says you have to use an intermediary to access the file. That is to protect everyone in the adoption equation including their descendants. I know it is expensive but there is nothing to be done about that if you want to see the file.

OC

Comment

Thanks for that but the cost is expensive especially as they only want the file they are not interested in meeting any family members, most of them have probably died, oh well they better start saving!
      GWEN

Comment

Gwen I'm afraid there's always a profit to be made where there is a need. Good luck!

OC

Comment

Has he spoken to the adoption services team at his local authority (where he currently lives, not Worcester) ? They may be be able to help, although may be very short staffed at the moment.

Some adoption files, especially the older ones, may not have that much information and if he has a certificate from the original birth entry and it names both parents then he may not learn much more than is on that.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Would taking a DNA Test help? Your son in law could ask his Dad to take a test, I am in an identical position to you.
            My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Working...
            X