• Show
Clear All

• Elaine
    replied
    Have you found Frank 1881?

Leave a comment:

• Gardengirl
    replied
    Thanks for searching, Elaine, but my ladies parent's names were Francis and Janet (Jeannette) so I don't think that is the right family.

Leave a comment:

• Elaine
    replied
    Found them 1871, he Married Emily Julia Kendall 1866,

transcribed as James Polmer

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

but when you have a look, it says Frances, Ann age 9 born Pemlico!

Leave a comment:

• Gardengirl
    replied
    I’d like to see if I can find out about Thomas and Katherine's travels to and from Australia. It seems unlikely that they travelled together as an unmarried couple in the 1880s. Maybe her parents went too? Could anyone recommend a good place to start searching for Passenger lists? I have Ancestry and Find My Past but wondered if there is a better, more comprehensive starting place.

Any thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• Gardengirl
    replied
    Thanks, Carolyn

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    That is a good article you found, she has rather a large amount of items.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    this is the link - no idea what I did to find it
    https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/...19490211%2f011

Leave a comment:

• Gardengirl
    replied
    Ah, rookie mistake on my part. I have only been looking at the 'transcript' in the left hand column. Now I have realised how widely that varies from the actual newspaper text! All sorts of fascinating Skitteral misdemeanours are coming to light

Shoplifting! https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/...ight=skitteral

Still can't find the one about falling off the bus though

Leave a comment:

• Gardengirl
    replied
    I can't find it at all I find the search filters for newspapers on FMP very confusing but eventually searched for just Skitteral in 1940-49 and just the Norwood News and it didn't come up. I must be doing something wrong

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    age and name (ish) fits!

Leave a comment:

• Gardengirl
    replied
    Thanks, I have FMP so will have a look.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    it is on FMP in their collection - so will be on BNA :

Screenshot 2020-05-28 at 11.10.29.png

There maybe another one somewhere I think, might be better quality, can look later
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 28-05-20, 11:12.

Leave a comment:

• Gardengirl
    replied
    That’s interesting, Carolyn. Where did you find it?

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    There is a report of the death of a Kathleen Skitteral in Norwood News 11 February 1949, following an accident, bit off tangent for the 1871 census!

Leave a comment:

• Gardengirl
    replied
    That’s interesting, Elaine. Maybe that’s why they came back if his attempts at running a business failed so badly. They were back in England by 1894. I wonder if I can find out any more about the 'adverse judgement' against him?

Also, I found something similar when I was googling the name a while back https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...itteral&f=true

It's not the same man but must be a descendant I would think, obviously a family trait to have a poor head for business.

Leave a comment:

• Elaine
    replied
    Bit more in Trove

Edward Woods and Thomas Henry Skitteral, trading as Woods and Skitteral, of Walterstreet, Ascotvale,contractors. Causes: Losses on contracts, want of remunerative ...

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    I have family that went Aus, and various cousins/others from village etc seemed to go and some came back, and a couple did marry when they went there. I had one that went there, married he dies, she came back, and the she went to USA and married. It surprised me as it was so far away, wasn't like they could hop on a plane.

Mine went to Ballarat and I assume that it was expanding big time and there were loads of jobs that they were telling everyone back home about. None of mine did the gold mining, just serviced those that were.

I did wonder if they just didn't like it - too hot maybe?
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 27-05-20, 22:59.

Leave a comment:

• Gardengirl
    replied
    Originally posted by kylejustin View Post

generally, a "lady" in australian records means she has an income she does not have to work for, else it would record profession as "non".

though it does sound like she is bigging herself up to the registrar, calling herself a "lady" and saying mother is "jeanette" not "janet".
    I wondered about that too, especially as her entries in the census before and after the trip to Australia do not suggest any independent means.

I'm curious about why they went to Australia? And did they know each other before they went? Why didn't they marry in England before they went? And why did they only stay for a couple of years?

Leave a comment:

• Gardengirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Elaine View Post
    Is this the marriage announcement in Trove?

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...Family+Notices
    Yes it is! Thank you - that's a great addition to the story.

Leave a comment:

• kylejustin
    replied
    Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
    Catherine gives her name as Katherine Annie and her parents names are Francis Palmer and Jeannette Damp. Under Rank or Profession for her it says 'Lady'. What would that mean?

From this information I went back to searching in Ancestry, FreeBMD and Find My Past. I think her parents were probably known as Frank and Janet. Jeannette was possibly an Australian registrar's interpretation of Janet.
    generally, a "lady" in australian records means she has an income she does not have to work for, else it would record profession as "non".

though it does sound like she is bigging herself up to the registrar, calling herself a "lady" and saying mother is "jeanette" not "janet".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X