Australian marriage and births

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian marriage and births

I'm going round in circles with a new branch of research so hope you don't mind if I pick your brains.

The background is that this branch was originally researched by me in the 1980s with no online resources. The name I was interested in is Thomas Henry Skitteral. At the time, I was not able to find a marriage certificate but knew that his wife's name was Annie Catherine Palmer from their daughter's birth certificate. I didn't follow this branch up very much at the time and just left it alone.

Now, having started going back over some of my previous research, I found Thomas's wife in the 1911 census calling herself Catherine, married (but husband not listed), plus her 3 children and her brother in law. The column for children shows that she had 6 children but only three still living and one of them was born in Australia.

1911 Catherine Skitteral (Small).jpg

To shorten the story, I managed to find the Australian birth register for Violet and another daughter, Daisy, and then I found the marriage certificate for Catherine Palmer and Thomas Skitteral - married in Australia. Top marks to the Australian Record office who are able to send a PDF of the marriage certificate as soon as you have ordered and paid for it. It shows

Catherine gives her name as Katherine Annie and her parents names are Francis Palmer and Jeannette Damp. Under Rank or Profession for her it says 'Lady'. What would that mean?

From this information I went back to searching in Ancestry, FreeBMD and Find My Past. I think her parents were probably known as Frank and Janet. Jeannette was possibly an Australian registrar's interpretation of Janet.

I am trying to find Katherine in the 1871 census.
    I have found her, I think, in 1881 as a boarder with the Barrett family Class: RG11; Piece: 667; Folio: 67; Page: 20; GSU roll: 1341155
    They were in Australia at the time of the 1891 census)
    I have found her in 1901 with her husband and children Class: RG13; Piece: 477; Folio: 96; Page: 30
    And in 1911 as you can see above.

Any thoughts or suggestions, please?
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Is this the marriage announcement in Trove?

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...Family+Notices
    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
      Catherine gives her name as Katherine Annie and her parents names are Francis Palmer and Jeannette Damp. Under Rank or Profession for her it says 'Lady'. What would that mean?

From this information I went back to searching in Ancestry, FreeBMD and Find My Past. I think her parents were probably known as Frank and Janet. Jeannette was possibly an Australian registrar's interpretation of Janet.
      generally, a "lady" in australian records means she has an income she does not have to work for, else it would record profession as "non".

though it does sound like she is bigging herself up to the registrar, calling herself a "lady" and saying mother is "jeanette" not "janet".

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
        Is this the marriage announcement in Trove?

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...Family+Notices
        Yes it is! Thank you - that's a great addition to the story.
        Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post

generally, a "lady" in australian records means she has an income she does not have to work for, else it would record profession as "non".

though it does sound like she is bigging herself up to the registrar, calling herself a "lady" and saying mother is "jeanette" not "janet".
          I wondered about that too, especially as her entries in the census before and after the trip to Australia do not suggest any independent means.

I'm curious about why they went to Australia? And did they know each other before they went? Why didn't they marry in England before they went? And why did they only stay for a couple of years?

Comment

I have family that went Aus, and various cousins/others from village etc seemed to go and some came back, and a couple did marry when they went there. I had one that went there, married he dies, she came back, and the she went to USA and married. It surprised me as it was so far away, wasn't like they could hop on a plane.

Mine went to Ballarat and I assume that it was expanding big time and there were loads of jobs that they were telling everyone back home about. None of mine did the gold mining, just serviced those that were.

I did wonder if they just didn't like it - too hot maybe?
            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 27-05-20, 22:59.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Bit more in Trove

Edward Woods and Thomas Henry Skitteral, trading as Woods and Skitteral, of Walterstreet, Ascotvale,contractors. Causes: Losses on contracts, want of remunerative ...
              Elaine

Comment

That’s interesting, Elaine. Maybe that’s why they came back if his attempts at running a business failed so badly. They were back in England by 1894. I wonder if I can find out any more about the 'adverse judgement' against him?

Also, I found something similar when I was googling the name a while back https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...itteral&f=true

It's not the same man but must be a descendant I would think, obviously a family trait to have a poor head for business.

Comment

There is a report of the death of a Kathleen Skitteral in Norwood News 11 February 1949, following an accident, bit off tangent for the 1871 census!

Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

That’s interesting, Carolyn. Where did you find it?

Comment

it is on FMP in their collection - so will be on BNA :

Screenshot 2020-05-28 at 11.10.29.png

There maybe another one somewhere I think, might be better quality, can look later
                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 28-05-20, 11:12.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Thanks, I have FMP so will have a look.

Comment

age and name (ish) fits!
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

I can't find it at all I find the search filters for newspapers on FMP very confusing but eventually searched for just Skitteral in 1940-49 and just the Norwood News and it didn't come up. I must be doing something wrong

Comment

Ah, rookie mistake on my part. I have only been looking at the 'transcript' in the left hand column. Now I have realised how widely that varies from the actual newspaper text! All sorts of fascinating Skitteral misdemeanours are coming to light

Shoplifting! https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/...ight=skitteral

Still can't find the one about falling off the bus though

Comment

this is the link - no idea what I did to find it
                                https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/...19490211%2f011
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

That is a good article you found, she has rather a large amount of items.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Thanks, Carolyn

Comment

I’d like to see if I can find out about Thomas and Katherine's travels to and from Australia. It seems unlikely that they travelled together as an unmarried couple in the 1880s. Maybe her parents went too? Could anyone recommend a good place to start searching for Passenger lists? I have Ancestry and Find My Past but wondered if there is a better, more comprehensive starting place.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Found them 1871, he Married Emily Julia Kendall 1866,

transcribed as James Polmer

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

but when you have a look, it says Frances, Ann age 9 born Pemlico!
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X