Hefferman/Heffernan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hefferman/Heffernan

Hello! I'm trying to trace my great great grandparents, William Heffernan/Hefferman/Efferman/Effron born 1865ish in possibly Waterford, Ireland, (on the 1901 census, they were Effron. On the 1911 census they were Efferman) and Mary Ann Fox born 1868-1871 maybe in Wales or Ireland, who knows! Or it could be Pulling because on 3 of their children's birth records the mother's maiden name is Pulling but on 2 of them it's Fox. Everyone I've spoken to in the family seem convinced her name was Fox but the different maiden names says otherwise. I definitely have the right people, I've checked a million times. Also can't find a marriage record for anyone named Fox or Pulling marrying any variation of Hefferman. Can't find birth records for either, neither. They lived in Tredegar in 1901 and 1911. William died in Tredegar in 1934 and Mary Ann died in Abergavenny in 1944. I was told that WIlliam was in the Indian Army but I cant find any record of this, there's William Heffernan's in the Indian army that I can find records for but I think they're too late and I don't think my WIlliam was clever enough to be these other WIlliams (I've been told they were very uneducated). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you in advance.

So that we are working from a sound foundation please give your closest non-living relatives, preferably your parents if deceased.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

The closest non living relative is my grandfather, Gerald Joseph Heffernan b: 1928 and died in 1995. His mother was Norah Heffernan, she married Glyndwr Lewis in 1941 then married Emlyn Evens in 1955 (neither of these men are my grandads father. My grandad and his 5 siblings have unknown father). Norah died in 1991. Norah had 6 siblings:
      Mary Heffernan b:1891 according to the census, can't find her birth record.
      Maggie Heffernan b:1894 can't find her birth record either.
      Anne Heffernan b;1897/8 another I cant find her birth record for but I know who she married and her children.
      Ellen Heffernan b:1900 one of the children with mothers maiden as Pulling.
      Michael Heffernan b:1901 mothers maiden name as Fox.
      William Heffernan b:1904 and died 1904 mothers name as Fox.
      Mary Ann Heffernan b:1910 mothers name as Pulling.
      Thank you for replying, I hope this is what you meant haha.

Comment

Oh and Norah's mothers maiden name is listed as Pulling.

Comment

Had a look at the births and found this one

Annie Effett Q3 1897 Bedwelty MMN Fox
          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Just tried a different search GRO

Margaret Fox MMN Pulling Q4 1894 Bedwelty

William Fox MMN Pullin Q4 1890 Merthyr Tydfill

Really don't know if this is related but with these spellings just noting it her

Ellen Heffer MMN Box 1889 Newport
            Elaine

Comment

How did you find that? I tried so many variations of Hefferman and that never showed up haha. It's likely it's her but the different MMNs is killing me. Is there a reason why they'd be different other than the obvious that they weren't hers but they then why not just stick to one name. Thank you though

Comment

I tried *eff* and combo's and gave up on the surname and alternated the MMN.

There is a death reg for a William Fox 1892 Bedwelty, but I am getting nowhere with finding them
                Elaine

Comment

I like to use FMP these days as an extra look, and tick the boxes for different spellings

they may help? Left the Chester ones in there just in case
                  Heffernan Ellen 1881 Neath, Glamorganshire, Wales
                  Heffernan Mary 1881 Neath, Glamorganshire, Wales
                  Heffran Jennette Elizabeth 1882 Bedwellty, Monmouthshire, Wales
                  Heffran Elizabeth 1884 Bedwellty, Monmouthshire, Wales
                  Heffran Lucy Harriet 1885 Bedwellty, Monmouthshire, Wales
                  Hefferan James 1889 Newport (Monmouthshire), Monmouthshire, Wales
                  Heffernan Kathleen M 1889 Brecknock, Breconshire, Wales
                  Hefferan Margaret 1891 Newport (Monmouthshire), Monmouthshire, Wales
                  Hefferan Ellen 1894 Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorganshire, Wales
                  Heveran Thomas 1895 Chester, Cheshire, England
                  Hefferan John 1896 Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorganshire, Wales
                  Heffernan Walter 1896 Cardiff, Glamorganshire, Wales
                  Heffernan Reginald John 1897 Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorganshire, Wales
                  Heffernan Ann 1898 Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorganshire, Wales
                  Heveran Catherine 1898 Chester, Cheshire, England
                  Heveran John 1899 Chester, Cheshire, England
                  Heveran Margaret Monan 1899 Chester, Cheshire, England
                  Heffernan William 1900 Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorganshire, Wales
                  Heffernan Gilbert Walter E 1901 Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorganshire, Wales
                  Heveran Margaret 1901 Chester, Cheshire, England
                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 26-05-20, 22:29.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I've come across the Margaret Hefferan and a few other Hefferans/Heffernans all born in Merthyr and their MMN is Nobes so it just muddies the waters even further. I'll look in to the others though, thank you

Comment

Daughter Mary is not with them 1901, have you found her?
                      Elaine

Comment

Nope. I can't find a death record or marriage record. I've searched high and low. There's a few immigration records from Ireland to USA etc but if I'm honest I'm not sure how to verify them so one could be her. On the 1911 census it says they had 8 children born alive and 6 are living but there's 7 children listed on the census. It's just really confusing.

Comment

1911 had me wondering about the numbers
                          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Nora View Post
                            Nope. I can't find a death record or marriage record. I've searched high and low. There's a few immigration records from Ireland to USA etc but if I'm honest I'm not sure how to verify them so one could be her. On the 1911 census it says they had 8 children born alive and 6 are living but there's 7 children listed on the census. It's just really confusing.
                            That is odd - you would think the enumerator would be checking that. also odd that last born is Mary Ann - when they already have a Mary, this is the one with MMN as Pulling?
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Yeh, the last daughter Mary Ann has MMN as pulling and her daughter is still alive and in contact with another family member but hasn't been much help haha.

Comment

Possibly Mary?

FOX, MARY MARGARET (no mmn) GRO Reference: 1892 M Quarter in BEDWELLTY Volume 11A Page 104

Comment

It could be but it just makes it more confusing as to why she's a Fox not Heffernan. Thank you though, I'll look in to her

Comment

I have a family that swapped surnames around, I almost feel as though in those times they were like a double barrelled name and they kept using one or other. have you traced mother back and found both Fox and Pullin as surnames in the line?
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

More confusion on the children..

There is a newspaper article in the Western Mail 25 Feb 1913 under the heading Delinquent Husbands about William Efferman, 50, Labourer, Tredegar, in respect of his wife & 6 children. He owed the Guardians £14. Was drunk when arrested. Paid £1 6s 8d Friday. The guardians wanted the family removed from the house (presumably the workhouse). William committed for a month but the warrant was suspended so long as he paid £1/week and took the family out.

The number of children matches with the 8 born 6 still living stated on the 1911 census, although 7 children were listed.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                        I have a family that swapped surnames around, I almost feel as though in those times they were like a double barrelled name and they kept using one or other. have you traced mother back and found both Fox and Pullin as surnames in the line?
                                        No haven't traced the mother because I can't find a reasonable place to start. I think I found two Mary Ann Pullings born in Monmouthshire around the right time but neither had a connection to Fox. All I know about the mother, Mary Ann, is her birthday and couldn't even find someone born on that day matching her. It's so frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                                        X