• Show
Clear All

• Mary Harper nee Britten

Here is the Harper family in 1881:
    Mary Harper age 27 b Moulton, Northamptonshire
    Joseph Harper age 31
    Emily Harper age 3
    Charlotte Harper age 7 mo

I am fairly sure that this is a firm foundation for tracing backwards.

The GRO gives Emily's mother's maiden name as Britten. The only woman of this name that I can find was born in 1842, not 1854. Birth registered and baptised in Brixworth which is not so far away, parents John & Maria. If she never married she may be the woman who died Sep 1918 of the right age. Throughout her married life Mary Harper always gave her dob as 1854 even after Joseph died so it seems unlikely that she had been lying about her age by a factor of 12 years and I am minded to discount the one born in 1842. However I can then find no birth nor in any census prior to her marriage. There are some obvious spelling variations to consider but I have not turned up anything. Can anyone do better?
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Her birth may not have been registered, it was not the parents' responsibility before 1875. Have you looked for a baptism?

OC

Comment

Do you have the marriage. It's on FMP. 13 Nov 1876 At Moulton and father is Edward Britten. Just going to look further into it.

Just look at the will index for 1918 death and it said she was a spinster. Ignore this was looking under Britten and saw the wrong death. Sorry
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Looks like her birth is the one for Mary 4 qtr 1853 Brisworth mmn Palmer. Edward Britten married Elizabeth Palmer in Dec 1837 Wellingborough. He is on the 1841, 1851 and 1861 with Elizabeth and the 1861 with Mary as well.
        Lin

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
          Looks like her birth is the one for Mary 4 qtr 1853 Brisworth mmn Palmer. Edward Britten married Elizabeth Palmer in Dec 1837 Wellingborough. He is on the 1841, 1851 and 1861 with Elizabeth and the 1861 with Mary as well.
          That fits all the facts except that her maiden name is registered as Britten on the birth of her daughter. Unless she was married to a man called Palmer before.
          I can't find this family in 1861, can you specify where it is?

Comment

Mary Harper was Britton before she married.

Her mother Elizabeth was Palmer before she married Edward Britton.

Was adding to the thread as I found things so probably didn't explain very well.
            Lin

Comment

This is the birth registration, if that makes it clearer:
              BRITTEN, MARY mothers maiden name: PALMER GRO Reference: 1853 D Quarter in BRIXWORTH Volume 03B Page 106

Comment

Thanks one and all. That clears everything up except a little confusion in the 1861 census. I think I have found the family at Piece: 949; Folio: 76; Page: 22; Edward is listed but then crossed out. I suppose he was not home on census night but Elizabeth initially gave his details to the enumerator. Also I suppose the 7 year old girl is Mary Elizabeth.

Comment

Think Edward might be on :- piece 949 Folio 98 Page 21, still in Moulton. He is a shepherd but has unmarried. If the farmer filled it in or answered the questions, perhaps he didn't know.
                  Lin

Comment

Working...
                  X