Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you search a census by House name or Road only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you search a census by House name or Road only?

Hi. I am researching a house and am struggling to find it on any of the census. Is there a specific way of doing this please?

Thank you

FMP is a bit more accurate as I think they have indexed address on more census.

On ancestry try adding it to Keyword and tick box for matches. Sometimes just a google will also brong it up as someone has already mentioned it on a forum or a tree.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Tried Find My Past but as I havent got a subscription I didnt get very far. Does anyone know if its possible to do a similar search on Ancestry please?

Comment

Only in the way Carolyn described in Post #2
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

not as good, you need to add it into the keyword box. if you want to put address here, happy to look later for you on FMP.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

There is another way but it is long and drawn out especially if the road you are looking for is in a big city.
              If you go to the search page of the census and type the name of the village , town or district into "lived in" .
              For example I put Tollesbury, Essex - search - then chose the top name which brought up this page:

Capture.JPG

Note this is Enumeration district no4 but click on it and you will see from the drop down box there are 2 other districts for Tollesbury - 3 and 5.
              Go to the bottom and put 1 in the box instead of the 7 and press enter. This will take you to the first page.

Capture2.JPG

This shows you all the streets the enumerator visited on his rounds for that district. If the street is there then you can scroll through the pages til you find the street you want. If it is not there then start again by choosing a different district from the drop down box.
              Some places have 20 or 30 districts to choose from and each district may have 70 pages to scroll through. As you can see here district 4 has only 21 pages.
              Not easy but if you are looking at a small village it might be worth a try.
              Kat

Comment

It is worth pointing out that some censuses do not have the streets numbered so you will never know if you have the right one unless the occupant is the same or the neighbours haven't moved between censuses. Also as town's and villages expanded or had buildings torn down the roads were renumbered.
                Kat

Comment

and sometimes you can search by using one of the residents with an 'good' name and they may be there in the next census.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                    It is worth pointing out that some censuses do not have the streets numbered so you will never know if you have the right one unless the occupant is the same or the neighbours haven't moved between censuses. Also as town's and villages expanded or had buildings torn down the roads were renumbered.
                    This is very common in small villages - if you know the village, then you can work out probable locations from landmarks like vicarage, school house, pub etc or the addition of the name of a farm.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                      not as good, you need to add it into the keyword box. if you want to put address here, happy to look later for you on FMP.
                      I have sent you a PM. Thank you

Comment

The Genealogist has a feature where you can search by Address, give me the address and I will look it up for you.

Comment

I have messaged Gill and the area she is looking at is a small village (1891 there are only 25 pages), and none of the houses have names/numbers even in the 1911 census, so not really findable. A case of guessing by walking through the village and following the census route I think. I have found maps on NLS that should help.

Might be a case of getting someone with more local knowledge.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by maesglasssclub View Post
                            The Genealogist has a feature where you can search by Address, give me the address and I will look it up for you.
                            Please be aware of a site's terms and conditions, which you will have signed up for, before offering to do lookups for other people.

There is a warning about this in our own Ts and CS
                            • When offering research assistance or responding to research requests, please take care to ensure you are not breaching any Terms and Conditions related to the resources you are using. Likewise, when requesting help, please be aware that members may respond that they are unable to help due to these same Terms and Conditions. If the Admin and Moderating team is made aware that copyright may have been breached, we reserve the right to amend or remove your post without warning.
                            Caroline
                            Caroline's Family History Pages
                            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Sorry for that, I just thought I might be able to help, forgot about the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by maesglasssclub View Post
                                Sorry for that, I just thought I might be able to help, forgot about the rule.
                                I would hate you to be banned from your subscription!! It's worth posting a reminder every so often, as we all get carried away with helping and some sites are very strict about lookups for others.
                                Caroline
                                Caroline's Family History Pages
                                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                                X