Gravestones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gravestones

I've recently come into possession of a picture of a gravestone of one of my ancestors. To my knowledge, he never lived anywhere except Hexham in Northumberland. However, on his gravestone, it says 'here lies the body of Matthew Carr of Hexham' whilst his wife is 'Of Yorkshire'. Is this normal to say where you're from on your headstone especially if that town is also the one that your gravestone is in? Also, as it was a 17th-century grave does that say anything about the status of the person?
    Any ideas would be welcome.

It is quite normal, on a gravestone of that age, to say '.... of Hexham' if the person was quite a prominent local person such as a farmer, businessman etc. The mention of his wife being 'of Yorkshire' may mean she came from a prominent family there or just that she may have died later and have moved away. Is she actually buried there or just commemorated?
    Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
      It is quite normal, on a gravestone of that age, to say '.... of Hexham' if the person was quite a prominent local person such as a farmer, businessman etc. The mention of his wife being 'of Yorkshire' may mean she came from a prominent family there or just that she may have died later and have moved away. Is she actually buried there or just commemorated?
      Anne
      To my knowledge she is buried with him as she also appears as 'of Yorkshire' in the family tree. We've not heard of her moving to Yorkshire and she predeceased him by 10 years. Thank you for your information.

Comment

Working...
      X