More help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More help please?

Hi, I've just gone back to look at a branch I did a while ago and I've confused myself and now can't unsee what I have (if you see what I mean)!

John Sheppard b. 1865, West Hendred, Berkshire m. Mary Ann Ebsworth b. 1870, Blewbury, Berkshire in 1887, Wantage, Berkshire. On the census' they have 11 children - some are registered with the surname spelt Shepherd. There are 2 though that I can't work out

Leonard John Shepherd b. 1899, West Hendred, Berkshire - have his birth and on the 1901 and 1911 census but then after that nothing. I thought I had him on the 1939 register with his brother who I am also missing after 1911 John George Shepherd b. 1904, West Hendred, Berkshire but the mother doesn't match. The odd thing is the death I found for John matches the birth date on the 1939. I've searched for another marriage using same surnames of their parents and nothing comes up, I've also looked up births using their names and can only see theirs! I have their parents John and Mary Ann living alone on the 1939.

Could someone else take a look and see what I've missed please

Tessie

maybe they are the right Boys, but the head isn't their father but a relative? I love a mystery but tired, am sure somebody will help you,
    Night

Comment

I can see this 1939 reg and the occupation of John father ties up as farm carter with the 2 boys:
      https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...phsrc=fVi25651

There is a person Sarah A Shepherd with same year of birth as Mary Ann, so it could be her but enumerator heard name wrong, or could be a sister? or a new wife?

Leonard birth seems to be reg in the quarter after dob on 1939 reg though, which seems odd (20 November) but maybe very late in registering.

Will have a look at Sarah
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thinking it should be Mary Ann rather than Sarah, found this elec reg Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 10.22.35.png
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

he is at same address in 1960 with wife? Mildred and John George nearby in Yew tree cottage
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Comment

Where did you find John and Mary Ann by themselves in the 1939 reg? I can't seem to find it.

I have found this which may add to the confusion!

John, Sarah A, John G and Leonard J on the 1950 elec reg at Greenway, West Hendred. https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true
            I believe the elec reg that Carolyn has posted is for 1930 so before the 1939 reg.
            I have found a death and burial for a John Shepherd in 1953, the death reg is Wantage and he is buried at West Hendred. I have also found a death reg for a Sarah Ann E Shepherd in 1950 in Wantage. Now Mary Ann's full name was Mary Ann Elizabeth Ebsworth. Just a thought but maybe she changed her name from Mary to Sarah sometime between 1930 and 1939 and stuck with it, as I say just a thought. I cannot find a death reg for a Mary Ann E Shepherd or a Mary Ann Shepherd that looks right at the moment.

I have looked at other alternatives eg that Sarah Ann is a sister or sister-in-law but have discounted the ones that I have found so far. I have been rushing a bit as I have to go out but thought I would post this so it can be looked at by others for thoughts or to be discounted.

Comment

Hi, thanks both for having a look. This is the 1939 that I thought I had found John and Mary on but looking at it this is wrong (so think the one with Sarah is now right)!

Tessie

Comment

here they are in 1950.

So she either changed her name, she is a sister (or similar) pr a new wife

1950.JPG
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

1945 which is the next I can find after 1935 that was on my first post
                  1945.JPG
                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 11-05-20, 11:37.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

just found 1938 and she is Sarah Ann and at same address
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Great, thank you!

Comment

Working...
                      X