• Show
Clear All

• Help with James Warner please!

Hi,

I'm struggling to sort out a James Warner b. 1824, Pangbourne, Berkshire

This is him on the 1841 census

His marriage to Amelia Woodason in 1847

I then have them and their children on the 1851 census

On the 1861 census he is widowed and had 3 children living with him and I can't currently find a death for Amelia (some of the other children are with family or I can't find them until later census') except one in 1906 Bradfield, Berkshire.

On the 1871 census it says he's married to Elizabeth - I can't find a definite marriage - well there are 2 options and I wanted your opinions! The FreeBMD search for 1861 - 1871 shows an Elizabeth Blencowe or a Sarah Elizabeth Watson. I believe when I look at the marriage record on Ancestry that the hints on the right hand side lean towards Elizabeth Blencowe married to Mr Treacher which would lead me to believe that Sarah Elizabeth is my Elizabeth that is with James on the 1871 onwards?

What do you think?

Thanks (I've probably overlooked something silly so please let me know)!

Tessie

Is Sarah Elizabeth from Culworth?
    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Just found a burial in Winkfield

Amelia Warner age 27 residence Winkfield burial 23 Apr 1853 SS Michael & Mary Magdalene

Did he then marry Sarah Woodason 27 May 1855, burial 2 Sep 1859 in the same place as above
      Elaine

Comment

the death is on FMP

Death Quarter 2
        Death year 1853
        District Easthampstead
        County Berkshire
        Volume 2C

Page 260

I haven't checked but assume missed on Ancestry

that marriage looks like a good find, looks like she has a sister on 1841 census, how sad is that that they both died :(
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I assume this is them in the census:
          https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...363.1543608453

he seems to have gone onto a sawyer and then a carpenter
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

did this solve your problem?
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

Sorry Carolyn, not been on here until now - I had seen that marriage to Sarah Woodason too but for some reason didn't register it! Thanks Elaine for the death info! Elaine yes Sarah Elizabeth I found is from Culworth - what do you think?
              Tessie

Comment

I think he married Elizabeth Blencowe, so a third marriage. Have looked at Treacher and there are 2, both with a Sarah.
                Elaine

Comment

Sorry Elaine, edited my post before seeing your reply. OK, so you think Blencowe rather than Watson for the 3rd marriage?

Comment

I do looking at the census and birthplace.
                    Elaine

Comment

Do you have access to the newspapers? there seems to be a lot on there with a "James Warner" employed at Easthampstead Park, years ago I worked at Bracknell council but have no memory of this place. Looks like from the census he lives on the estate so I assume it is him, but can't quite decide.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Easthampstead Park is just up the road from me - it is currently a hotel/conference centre (have been there for events numerous times) and is situated between Bracknell and Wokingham, but was originally a royal hunting lodge in Windsor Forest so there would have been plenty of work for a sawyer! At the time James was there it was owned by the 6th Marquis of Downshire, Arthur Wills John Wellington Trumbull Blundell Hill.

In 1901 it looks like he is retired and living with a daughter and her family in St Giles area of Reading, and there is a corresponding death there in 1907.
                        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                          Easthampstead Park is just up the road from me - it is currently a hotel/conference centre (have been there for events numerous times) and is situated between Bracknell and Wokingham, but was originally a royal hunting lodge in Windsor Forest so there would have been plenty of work for a sawyer! At the time James was there it was owned by the 6th Marquis of Downshire, Arthur Wills John Wellington Trumbull Blundell Hill.

In 1901 it looks like he is retired and living with a daughter and her family in St Giles area of Reading, and there is a corresponding death there in 1907.
                          I am always fascinated by people working in 'big' houses and like to know what the house was like then. Sadly I have very few of my own family that ever worked in a big household.

I remember Southill Park (was a theatre I think), and the house there - I worked there for a fortnight sorting out their accounts as they had got in a mess and the treasurer had offered my services!

There are adverts saying to contact him for a wood sale, and also he was duped out of a sovereign by a magician in a pub. No BMDs but some lovely little stories.

Tessie - If you don't have access can refind them later
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Thanks Ladies!!

No I don't have access - is there a particuarly good site to use for newspapers?

I was Easthampstead Park last year for Dubs in the Park haha!

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
                              Thanks Ladies!!

No I don't have access - is there a particuarly good site to use for newspapers?

I was Easthampstead Park last year for Dubs in the Park haha!

Thanks
                              I prefer BNA for searching, but as FMP had a good offer so I do it through them for now.

Will have a look tomorrow and see what I can find.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

I have put some in this folder:
                                https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...dPV1E2Nkg1aFBR

you can download and the file names are the dates of the newspapers
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Wow thanks cbcarolyn

Comment

Working...
                                  X