Emily Dyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emily Dyer

This is driving me mad so I hope someone can help...
    Emily Dyer, born 1855 Belfast. Parents John Dyer and Eliza Taylor.
    This may be her marrying Samuel McCartney 26 December 1874 in Belfast but I'm not 100% sure - age is about right, father's name is right and he would still have been alive at this time, he was an emigration agent but here recorded as commission agent so there or thereabouts. But no Dyer witnesses to help confirm, plus it is an RC marriage, her family were Protestant and she is marrying from an unfamiliar address (Silverstream is about 7miles from Belfast centre.)
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....02/8105092.pdf
    Whatever - insofar as I know this couple had one child, Bernard McCartney in 1880. Just to thwart me even further - different DOBs, variant father's surname (cue wildcard nightmare!)and mother's first names on civil birth reg and Catholic baptism, but both have birth address of 37 McDonnell Street so I'm pretty confident he is a child of Emily and Samuel.
    Civil birth - https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....65/2049739.pdf
    Catholic baptism -
    This website contains images from the NLI’s collection of Catholic parish register microfilms. The registers contain records of baptisms and marriages from the majority of Catholic parishes in Ireland and Northern Ireland up to 1880.

However, after this 1880 birth, I can't find any census, death or emigration records that seem to fit. This applies even if my Emily Dyer did not marry Samuel McCartney and went through life as Emily Dyer.

To save unnecessary searching - she is definitely not the Emily Dyer in 1901 and 1911 Cork censuses who dies in Cork 1918.
    Nor do I think the Samuel McCartney who dies in Comber (Newtownards district) in 1913 is the right Samuel MCartney either, despite the fact that he has a wife called Emily (from associated will calendar) I think it is more likely that he is the Samuel MCartney from Comber who married Emily Gourlay in 1880 in Belfast. Not that I have found them in 1901 or 1911 censuses either which might help to confirm!

Can anyone find any trace of any of them after 1880?
    Thanks,
    Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Sorry Christine, have had a look but can't find anything at the moment. Will keep looking, I might get some inspiration!
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Not sure this is anything but thought best to note this family in Lanarkshire 1891

Samuel McCartney Iron grinder Ireland, he has a son Bernard 1881 born Ireland
      There is a Robert McCartney born in England, wife Jeannie age 21 born England and dau Fanny born Glasgow
      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
        Not sure this is anything but thought best to note this family in Lanarkshire 1891

Samuel McCartney Iron grinder Ireland, he has a son Bernard 1881 born Ireland
        There is a Robert McCartney born in England, wife Jeannie age 21 born England and dau Fanny born Glasgow
        Elaine,
        You may be on to something here - iron grinder looks promising. I looked for a Robert McCartney birth in England on GRO - no MMN Dyer with exact spelling of surname option but when I searched with phonetically similar variations I got this:
        MCARTINEY, Robert mmn DYER GRO Reference: 1875 D Quarter in BURY LANCASHIRE 08C 507.
        Cross checked on Lancs BMD where surname is transcribed as McCartney .

I really need to get to bed now but next steps would be to see if we can find Emily dying in Bury or Scotland before 1890 when daughter Fanny who must be by (2nd wife) Jeanie Is born in Glasgow in 1890. With a bit of luck they might be in 1881 England census...

Thanks,
        Christine
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

I checked on Lancs OPC for a baptism for the 1875 Robert McCartney born in Bury and bingo:
          Baptism: 28 Oct 1875 St Joseph, Bury, Lancashire, England
          Robertus McCartney - filius Samuelis McCartney & Emiliae (formerly Dyer)
          Born: 12 Oct 1875
          Godparents: Birgitta Kiernan
          Baptised by: Joanne Fraser Miss. Apost.
          Register: Baptisms 1861 - 1895, Page 266
          Source: Original Register at Lancashire Archives
          Researching:

Comment

Great find Christine
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Cannot see them on 1881 census but Bernard was born Ireland 1881 so maybe Emily died in Ireland ?
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

From Scotlands people: Fanny McCartney born 1890 in St Rollox, Glasgow. Then going backward Emily McCartney age 26 died in 1886 St Rollox. I did put in Dyer as other surname, but not sure if it was used as a check. I know her age is a few years out but might be a possibility.

Just tried Emily again with a random maiden name and it gave no results. So Dyer was used as a check which makes it quite likely this was her.
                Linda

Comment

Aha - Samuel McCartney married Jeanie Wilson in 1889 in St Rollox. Fitting together nicely.
                  Linda

Comment

Hi Linda,
                    Yes, I found all those St Rollox ones last night and as you say, they do hang together. Good tip re using the other surname box, which makes the 1886 Emily death look highly likely, despite the age discrepancy. It also looks like Fanny died 1893 aged 4 in St Rollox. Unfortunate, as she would have been an easier McCartney to find in 1901.
                    I'm most interested in Emily (my 2nd great-aunt) but would still like to find 1901 and 1911 census plus deaths/marriages for Samuel, Robert and Bernard if possible...

Christine

PS I've just sent you an email.
                    Researching:

Comment

Have found a Bernard McCartney, born 1880 in Ireland, in Blackfriars, Glasgow, in the 1901 Scotland census. He is a lodger at 48 Duke Street and a chimney sweep.

Can't see a 1911 entry but there is a death for a Bernard McCartney born abt 1880 in Gateshead in Durham in 1909 Q1

Comment

Noting this one too!

59 Wigton Street Glasgow McCarthny family

Samuel 51 Iron Grinder Ireland
                        Louisa dau 26 born Ireland
                        Thomas son 8 born Lanarkshire
                        Emily gdaughter 6 born Ireland
                        Kate gdaughter 0 born Lanarkshire

Guessing at a birth reg for Kate
                        MCCARNEY CATHERINE F 1900 644/4 184 Calton (Glasgow)
                        Samuel is married but no wife listed, just can't see anything else at the moment
                        Elaine

Comment

Noting this one too!

Samuel is married but no wife listed, just can't see anything else at the moment
                          Thanks Elaine. This also tallies with something Linda found - electoral roll details for Samuel in 1902, Iron grinder 59 Wigton Street Glasgow.

Daughter Louisa and the grandchildren are a real puzzle though! I searched last night for possible births for Louisa and granddaughter Emily in Ireland, including as Unknown Mccartney (inc variant spellings) but got nowhere. Even tried looking for Louisa as Dyer/Unknown Dyer, just in case she was a pre-marital child of Emily Dyer.
                          Cue more headaches with this lot! Random thought - even though the transcript says Louisa is single, could she be a
                          daughter-in-law, in which case Robert - also born 1875 - is the obvious candidate for husband.
                          I will park this for now - other things I need to be getting on with even in lockdown!

Christine
                          Researching:

Comment

I bought some Scotlands People credits earlier and downloaded the 1886 death for Emily McCartney, and yay, she's mine as confirmed by parent details. Big thanks to Elaine for pointing us in the right direction in post 3.

Death cert details:
                            Emily McCartney, married to Samuel McCartney, iron grinder, journeyman.
                            Died 2.45pm 14 Mar 1886 at 44 Centre Street, Springburn, Glasgow. Female 26. Parents John Dyer, emigration agent, deceased and Eliza Dyer, maiden surname Taylor. COD acute phthisis, 2 months. Informant S McCartney, widower, present (at death). He informed the registrar the next day.

So apart from her age being out, all the other info is spot on. Her father, John Dyer, died 1884 and her mother died in 1895.

I found this when I searched for Centre Street https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digit...re-volume-54/4
                            I know it predates Emily's death but doubt the quality of housing would have improved in the interim. TB was probably rife. She's yet another one of mine who died young from it.

Still in head-scratching mode re the 1901 census info that Elaine found in post 12 though...

Christine
                            Researching:

Comment

Glad you found that Christine, I spent ages last night trying to find something from that 1901 census and drew a blank. Getting much better at searching Irish records though
                              Elaine

Comment

Noting this one too!

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcr...901/0037213186

I opted for a different birth as 59 Wigton Street was in Milton according to the 1901 census record - picked the right one!

Catherine McCartney, illegitimate. Born 29 Dec 1900 at 59 Wigton Street. Mother Louisa McCartney, domestic servant. No father's name recorded. Louisa registered the birth on 21 January 1901.

At least that scuppers the Louisa as daughter-in-law theory I floated in post 13.

There is room for Louisa to be a daughter of Samuel and Emily, born between Robert b Oct 1875 in Bury and Bernard born Sep 1880 in Belfast, so I'll have yet another look for a possible birth in Ireland as that is all we have to go on from the 1901 Scotland census. I wonder why she wasn't with Samuel and co in 1891 though - where was she?

Christine
                                Researching:

Comment

Well done everyone. couldn't help as I have no idea about Irish or Scottish ancestors but love to keep up with what is happening
                                  Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Don't know if I have this right but looking at where Emily dies, have you got this list

44 Centre Street occ labourer
                                    Elaine

Comment

Robert as plumber but later there is a Robert McCartney Porter as is the Samuel McCartney after the labourer as an occ disappears (in case that Samuel is the same person)

Elaine

Comment

Noting this one too!

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcr...901/0037213186

The same record on Ancestry has Emily gdaughter 6 as born in England!

Not that I found anything that leapt out at me in England after the fruitless searching for a birth in Ireland...

Christine
                                        Researching:

Comment

Working...
                                        X