tree printing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tree printing?

Which is the best site for printing please? there used to be a way to print of a file of either descendants or ancestors. i have trees on different sites but only some are updated as the information has come in to me. I would like to unify them all but it seems it would be better to print at least one of so that I have something to compare with. I cant see a way of doing that on ancestry but I am sure thats where i used to do it before.

Do you mean just a quick print or a posh one? Desktop software will allow you to print trees in many formats.

I just looked and Ancestry still has a Print button. You've probably found it by now (se Post 2).

There is a print button from the person's profile but that is just for their details.

ancestry-tree-3.jpg
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

You can print a tree by going to a person's profile, then choose View in tree from the Tools menu then click Print or choose a person by clicking on them in the tree.

ancestry-tree.jpg

This takes you to and the orange button opens the printer dialogue. It will go back 4 generations per person.

I had the tree on Pedigree view for this one. If you choose Family View it will print the tree version.

ancestry-tree-4.jpg
      Caroline
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

thank you. i got my old chart oout and started writing down how far I had got with that one then compared with the ones on line. what happened I had findmypast for the last year so was adding things from ther onto that tree but didint always transfer the same details to other trees. Have ancestry wiki and myheritage oh yes and familysearch. So some go further back than others on different lines. lol i am no good at keeping proper records. My chart is 9 generations so still got a few gaps to fill in on there
        . You used to be able to print a file of all the descendants or all the ancestors. i have managed to do family group sheets and the profiles etc.. The 4 generation thing will come in handy thanks

Comment

Do you not have a master version on your computer?

That would at least stop you having to mess around between online trees and also let you print it out. You can also then upload up to date versions to the other sites.
          Caroline

Comment

Maybe a free version of software something like Rootsmagic and is simple to import gedcom (if you can do that on free version).

https://www.rootsmagic.com/Essentials/ I know they have a lot of reports.
            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 27-04-20, 10:09.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I used to have wdytya family tree maker but when I updated computer I didnt bother installing it as it tends to slow the computer. I have ancestry as my main one but as I say I have had a sub with findmypast for the first time so was exploring that.

Comment

I've had some success with treeseek.com generating a 9 generation ancestor fan chart. I don't have an account with treeseek as I've always clicked on the link that says "
                ​New! We now support creating charts with a GEDCOM file. Try now. ". That takes you to a page where you can upload your gedcom file. I've not had much success with gedcom files downloaded from ancestry, but when I use the gedcom exported from FTM, it works a treat.

Once you've uploaded your gedcom file, it generates a chart that you can download as a pdf.

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
                  I used to have wdytya family tree maker but when I updated computer I didnt bother installing it as it tends to slow the computer. I have ancestry as my main one but as I say I have had a sub with findmypast for the first time so was exploring that.
                  If you don't upload the media I wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference on your computer, I am not 100% certain, but can see that media would certainly be hefty.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

If you don't upload the media I wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference on your computer, I am not 100% certain, but can see that media would certainly be hefty.
                    not sure what you mean by media?

Comment

All of the pictures, images etc. You can just upload gedcom so you get basic tree for printing in any format you want.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Ok thanks. Not tried that yet. I only ever downloaded my tree from ancestry then uploaded it into familytreemaker . I probably didnt realise you can do it without all the census records and other details etc. Might try it in the coming weeks

Comment

Working...
                        X