John George Elliott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John George Elliott

I have not been able to find a death for John George and would like some assistance if possible. Over the years as new records are put online I've tried to find his death but to no avail. Perhaps a new eyes may find it.

John George was born in Hart, Co. Durham Q3 1854.
    Married Sarah Normington 25/8/1877 at Darlington Register Office.

1881 census: Living in Darlington with wife Sarah (born Cleasby, Yorkshire) and daughter Ada Annie age 1 who was born in Felling, Gateshead.

1891 census: Can't find a record for either John George or wife Sarah but Ada Annie living with grandmother Mary in Linthorpe, Middlesbrough.

1901 census: Sarah his wife (now with surname FIRTH, which could be an error) listed as Widow, Ada (daughter 22), James (son 20 born Nesham, which was his grandfathers home) and Sarah FIRTH ? daughter age 12. Later census says born Middlesbrough. Norman Elliott grandson age 4 (Norman was Ada Annie's illegitimate son)
    You will notice on this census jobs and place of birth details are missing for some reason. They are now living in Bramley, Leeds.

1911 census: Sarah now back to name Elliott age 51 and still a Widow. Sarah Ann now also back to Elliott and stated born Middlesbrough. Still living in Bramley, Leeds

Sarah Ann married Harry Burton 20/9/1913 St Peter's , Bramley and states on Marriage Register her father was John Elliott (deceased)

John George's death has been puzzling me for years and family members who also do ancestry haven't found it either.
    Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards, Ian

Hi Ian

I suspect you have already seen this?

Name: John George Elliott Elliott
    Birth Date: 1854
    Marriage Date: 31 Jul 1875
    Marriage Place: York, England
    Spouse: Ann Emily Thornton
    FHL Film Number: 1470672

and also seen the JG Elliot in the 1911 census? https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource

I now see that there are two JG Elliots born in same area [Durham] a year apart..

will look a bit more.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Not seeing much else I'm afraid. As Ada & James were both born relatively close together this would be the starting point of any possible deaths/remarriages.

There doesn't seem to be any other children born to the couple and I would hazard a guess that Sarah Firth wasn't Sarahs natural daughter. I couldn't spot any likely unions between an Elliott - Firth

as Sarah can't be located in 1891 yet Ada is with her grandparents, maybe Sarah was living with Mr Firth? as though she was married to him?

I'd be looking at deaths starting in 1880/1

I'm not sure if you had Sarah Elliotts death or not.

Name: Sarah Elliott
      Birth Year: abt 1860
      Burial Date: 4 Oct 1916
      Burial Place: Stanningley, St Thomas, Yorkshire, England
      Parish: Stanningley, St Thomas

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...&rhSource=7572
      Julie

Comment

Hi, you seem to have found all the stuff I have come across. I'm fairly certain the JG born 1854 is the correct one. I also looked for Elliott/Firth marriages and a birth for a Sarah Firth.

I do have details on Sarah's death and burial at St Thomas, Stanningley.

John George and Sarah were my great grandparents.

Thanks for your time and efforts,

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by tms11 View Post
          Hi, you seem to have found all the stuff I have come across. I'm fairly certain the JG born 1854 is the correct one. I also looked for Elliott/Firth marriages and a birth for a Sarah Firth.

I do have details on Sarah's death and burial at St Thomas, Stanningley.

John George and Sarah were my great grandparents.

Thanks for your time and efforts,

Ian
          That's ok Ian I know how frustrating it can be when you cannot locate a death. If it were me i'd be looking for a death starting from James' birth. I know it's not much to go on but you have to start somewhere. I even looked for a J George [just in case someone had thought that was his surname] but didn't arrive at much. Presumably you have checked newspapers to see if that throws anything up?
          Julie

Comment

Over the years I've checked everything I can think of. One of these days I might find it and whether he died or left Sarah for some reason? If I don't find it before I leave this mortal coil I may find out elsewhere. Thanks again.

Ian

Comment

Maybe he didn't die, but they just went their separate ways? Perhaps she had some long-term dalliances but didn't marry as that would have been illegal. (Not that that stopped people from bigamy, lol)
              Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I think this could be the birth reg of Sarah Jnr - Q3 1888 Sarah Ann Elliott, mmn Normington registered in Middlesbrough reg dist.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Yes Jay, that's the birth I found for Sarah Ann in Middlesbrough but thanks for looking.

Ian

Comment

Yes Jay, that's the birth I found for Sarah Ann in Middlesbrough but thanks for looking.

Ian
                    Ian do you have this cert? it may help cast a light on where they were living at the time? [give you something to go on re 1891? and whether JG was actually still alive then?]

just a thought.
                    Julie

Comment

No middle name, and age slightly out too, but there is a death in Middlesbrough Q3 1888 for John Elliott aged 32 that may be worth ruling out.

Comment

Hi Ds, no I never sent for that certificate so I guess I better do so now, good suggestion.

I'm pretty sure teasie I did send for the certificate of John Elliott aged 32, I'll search my files and find it. Feel sure he was a Wine Shop owner living in Cargo Fleet and not my JG.

Thanks again,

Ian

Comment

Hi Ds, no I never sent for that certificate so I guess I better do so now, good suggestion.

I'm pretty sure teasie I did send for the certificate of John Elliott aged 32, I'll search my files and find it. Feel sure he was a Wine Shop owner living in Cargo Fleet and not my JG.

Thanks again,

Ian
                          That's ok Ian, just trying to think of ways that could help you locate them.

Good call on the death too Teasie, it all helps to either rule it out or confirm. [The good thing also is that you can order PDF's of Births/deaths now at a reduced rate from the actual cert price.. so not much of a hit to the wallet.
                          Julie

Comment

i searched the newspapers but found nothing, there is another death early 1890s have you found some and dismissed them? could be useful to know.

I think you have a public tree on Ancestry?
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

It looks like someone else has been trying to trace him, and they appear to have obtained Sarah Ann's birth certificate which gives her DoB as 14 July 1888 at 39 Disraeli Street, Middlesbrough. Father was John George, an Engineman, which matches the occupation on James' baptism in November 1881.

Comment

Hi cbcarolyn, thanks for checking newspapers. I did a search some time ago when I got a cheap subscription to FMP but like you found nothing. I've looked at deaths around 1890's but nothing jumped out apart from the 1888 one which was wrong.

Yes I have a Public Tree on Ancestry.

Hi teasie, that saves me having to get a Birth Cert. for Sarah Ann although GRO is closed at moment for historical certs. Disraeli Street is familiar and I have downloaded a photo of that so one of my relations must have been at that address...question is which one? I'll have to go through all my relations in M'bro and see if I can find out who.

Thanks for the information.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                                  It looks like someone else has been trying to trace him, and they appear to have obtained Sarah Ann's birth certificate which gives her DoB as 14 July 1888 at 39 Disraeli Street, Middlesbrough. Father was John George, an Engineman, which matches the occupation on James' baptism in November 1881.
                                  Well done Teasie! that is an excellent find!
                                  Julie

Comment

Working...
                                  X