Mystery bride in NZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery bride in NZ

There is a marriage record on Ancestry for George Alexander Wilson Nicholls in 1927 in New Zealand. No bride's name is given but from a reverse search with the folio number 8349 as a keyword only 2 other names come up: Elsie Evelyn Walker and Herbert Woolley Wheeler. Wheeler and Walker married each other so can anyone find:
    1. who married GAWN and what happened to her - divorce or death?
    2. if there were any children of this marriage? I have the name (but no DOB and possibly still living) for a child of GAWN who I always assumed was with wife Constance. (Below)

GAWN goes on to marry Constance Martha Collett. A few trees on ancestry give an unsourced marriage date of 31 Dec 1938 but I haven't found a supporting marriage record. 1938 does look like a possibility though, as she is in the electoral roll under her maiden name in 1938. (Note: none of the ancestry trees mention the 1927 marriage.) So:
    3. Can anyone find evidence to support this 1938 marriage date?

Thanks,

Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...A1%3AQK9V-2TTR

This is his will from Family Search. Haven't read more than the first 2 lines but mentions Constance so presume it is him. Haven't found a marriage though.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

On the Electoral rolls for 1935 George is living with Elsie Maude Nicholls. Cross checking with the marriage index ,there is an Elsie Maude James who married in 1927, the ref no is 8394 - last two digits transposed. Could be your girl. There are no other entries with ref no 8394 in 1927, only 1925, 1926 and 1928.
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
        https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...A1%3AQK9V-2TTR

This is his will from Family Search. Haven't read more than the first 2 lines but mentions Constance so presume it is him. Haven't found a marriage though.
        Thanks Lin. I can't view anything on familysearch at the moment as my browsers need to be updated - I was going to take my PC into my computer man for a bit of upgrading the week that the first lockdown was announced so was thwarted on that front.
        Is there anything of interest in it?
        Christine
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
          On the Electoral rolls for 1935 George is living with Elsie Maude Nicholls. Cross checking with the marriage index ,there is an Elsie Maude James who married in 1927, the ref no is 8394 - last two digits transposed. Could be your girl. There are no other entries with ref no 8394 in 1927, only 1925, 1926 and 1928.
          Thanks Linda - also for the link you sent me separately to https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz which confirms both marriages.

Christine.
          Researching:

Comment

Hi

It says he died on or about 30 Apr 1959. Constance Martha his wife to be the executor and everything to go to her if still alive otherwise to be sold and divided equally between his children.

Just had a look at New Zealand ARchives, free to look at and some early wills can be seen but this one you have to order, Also his divorce from Elsie Maude is there but you can't access it.
            Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post

Thanks Lin. I can't view anything on familysearch at the moment as my browsers need to be updated - I was going to take my PC into my computer man for a bit of upgrading the week that the first lockdown was announced so was thwarted on that front.
              Is there anything of interest in it?
              Christine
              The will left everything to Constance if she survived him for 2 weeks. Failing that it would be distributed equally between all his children, or if any of them were to predecease him their part to be left to their child/ren in equal parts once they turned 21. No children named. There was a bit of legal wrangling over the fact that he was called George Alex in the will and not George Alexander, but probate (about £4500) eventually given to Constance.
              Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Working...
              X