Lost in 1871

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost in 1871

I'm trying to find one Thomas W(h)ap(p)lington in 1871 without much luck so I was hoping someone else will have more success

Going backwards in time I have

1917 death Chesterfield District born 1864

1911 living in Stanfree near Chesterfield born 1867 Hucknall Torkard Coal carter

1901 living at 33 Church Street Bolsover born 1865 Hucknall Torkard Coal Miner

England Select Marriages born 1865 married Mary Elizabeth Rodda 25/12/1891 father Thomas Whapplington fathers occupation labourer image from Derbyshire England Church of England Marriages and Banns married in Bolsover

1891 boarder in Clowne (address is the wonderfully named Womble Hill) born 1867 Hucknall Torkard miner

1881 living at Pleasley lodge Pleasley born 1865 Hucknall Torkard Farm Servant (live in)

1871 not yet found

I'm not sure if this is for the same person or not but

There is a baptism on 23 Feb 1864 for a Thomas Whapplington father Thomas Whapplington mother Ruth. From England births and baptisms. Residence Nottingham
    There is a birth for Thomas Waplington Basford area (which covers Hucknall Torkard) in 1862 mmn Hutchinson
    Thomas Waplington married Ruth Hutchinson 1861 Basford Distrct September quarter

Come to think of it I can’t find Thomas and Ruth in 1871 either

Thank you foor looking for me
    Barbara

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...1%2F0017678113

Is this him in Bulwell with father Thomas, a widow?
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Found a death for Ruth Whapplington in 1870 Basford born 1840, so that could be him in 1871 with his father.
      Lin

Comment

It could well be Lin Thank you

That would be the one with the birth registration in 1862 wouldn't it? I wonder why he always gave a later date of birth
        Barbara

Comment

Cross posted LOL. I was definletly confused by the 1864to 1867 DoB's
          Barbara

Comment

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource This is it on Ancestry
            Lin

Comment

Ages are always a bit of a problem on census but it is quite a difference isn't it. Just remember that the head of the household probably filled it in and they could have guessed especially if it's a male.
              Lin

Comment

Thanks again I'm happy to go with that. I had completely failed to find him!
                Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 16-04-20, 19:22.
                Barbara

Comment

Lovely
                  Lin

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Dodds View Post
                    It could well be Lin Thank you

That would be the one with the birth registration in 1862 wouldn't it? I wonder why he always gave a later date of birth
                    14th June 1865 Baptism of SARAH d/o Thomas & Ruth Whaplington @ St Mary Magdalene Hucknall. Thomas's occupation given as Labourer. I will have a look to see if I can spot Thomas's bapt.

sometimes people knew when they had been baptised but not necessarily when they were born. I have had this on numerous occasions.
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

1867 and 1868 saw the baptisms of two daughters of Thomas & Ruth, [Mary & Ann] at Bulwell St Marys. Thomas's occ Labourer.
                      Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie
                        Barbara

Comment

Not seeing ANY baptism for Thomas to verify. sorry. [and I can't see the marriage either] so praps they married in register office? If the library was open I could probably check and see on their fiche, but it isn't so I can't.
                          Julie

Comment

Thanks for looking

You probably can't see the marriage because it was in Bolsover so Derbyshire rather than Notts.
                            Barbara

Comment

On FMP it has Thomas Waplington marrying Ruth Hutchinson in 1861 as a Derbyshire marriage but at Basford Registry office and well as the GRO record.
                              Lin

Comment

Ohh!! only just seen your last reply Barbara, have I got the wrong marriage?
                                Lin

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Dodds View Post
                                  Thanks for looking

You probably can't see the marriage because it was in Bolsover so Derbyshire rather than Notts.
                                  ahhh

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                                  On FMP it has Thomas Waplington marrying Ruth Hutchinson in 1861 as a Derbyshire marriage but at Basford Registry office and well as the GRO record.
                                  No you have it right Lin, Basford Dist does cover some of Derbyshire too.
                                  Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                    1867 and 1868 saw the baptisms of two daughters of Thomas & Ruth, [Mary & Ann] at Bulwell St Marys. Thomas's occ Labourer.
                                    have you the dates for the girls baptisms? did you want them? or is it just Thomas you are interested in.
                                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

have you the dates for the girls' baptisms? did you want them? or is it just Thomas you are interested in.
                                      03 12 1868 Ann Thomas WAPPLINGTON Ruth occ Labourer Bulwell St Mary the Virgin

09 03 1867 Mary Thomas WAPLINGTON Ruth occ Labourer Bulwell St Mary the Virgin

here you go..
                                      Julie

Comment

Thanks for those Julie. I did need them
                                        Barbara

Comment

Working...
                                        X