Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help with 2 USA marriages, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help with 2 USA marriages, please?

1) Pennsylvania c1922 William P Adams & Isabel(la) Hickey, widow, nee Car(e)y

2) Pennsylvania (or possibly Ohio) c1883 onwards Thomas Hickey and Isabel Carey possibly also known as Isabel Hogan.

Isabel's parents were Daniel Cary and Susan(nah) Stephenson. She was born in England. Both William Adams and Thomas Hickey claim they were born in Ohio. Hickey children were born in Pennsylvania and Isabel was recorded in Pennsylvania 1900 - 1930 census returns. Isabella and William died in Pennsylvania - haven't found death record for "husband" Thomas Hickey. I have quite a lot of information on Isabella's colourful life, but have been unable to find a marriage to either Thomas or William. (Or an alleged earlier marriage before she left England c 1883)

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Only just started looking but have found Isabella's 1936 death cert if you want it?

Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Sorry - not finding anything on the marriages front on Ancestry.
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thank you Christine - I do have her death cert and also the one for William P Adams. Haven't got one for husband Thomas Hickey though.
        Also have 1906 marriage cert for her son James Patrick Hickey (bp 1882 as James Patrick Hogan and from an earlier dalliance/marriage) I have the census returns 1900 - 1930 and also 1871 & 1881 when she was still in England.
        Just thought it would be nice to have the marriage certs IF there were any) to tie up all the ends. The son's marriage cert confirms that she was Isabel Carey before her marriage to Thomas Hickey and the name Isabel Hickey Adams on the death cert (and place of birth - Blyth Northumberland) and informant being son Thomas Hickey link Isabel to the second marriage.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
          Sorry - not finding anything on the marriages front on Ancestry.
          Thanks for trying Christine. I'm unsure whether there are no surviving Pennsylvania marriage records for this time frame, or if she had marriages in the RC church for which there are separate records, or whether they just didn't bother. The father of her son James Patrick had two long term relationships in Pennsylvania, but haven't found records of either marriage for him either. Nor a marriage in England for him and Isabella before they both emigrated.
          This whole Irish family are awful to trace.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

On Ancestry, when you click on the 1936 death record there is another suggested record on the right sidebar - a US Social security applications and claims form. Is this one of Isabella's children? If so, it conflates the first and second names of the two "husbands". Not that this got me anywhere with finding marriages. It's also got John Andrew as female! No wonder they are giving you a headache.
            Couldn't get the first column to copy, but you can deduce the categories...

Christine
            John Andrew Hickey
            Female
            White
            26 Apr 1894
            Manor Statio, Pennsylvania
            William Hickey
            Isbella Carey
            Jun 1937: Name listed as JOHN ANDREW HICKEY
            Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
              On Ancestry, when you click on the 1936 death record there is another suggested record on the right sidebar - a US Social security applications and claims form. Is this one of Isabella's children? If so, it conflates the first and second names of the two "husbands". Not that this got me anywhere with finding marriages. It's also got John Andrew as female! No wonder they are giving you a headache.
              Couldn't get the first column to copy, but you can deduce the categories...

Christine
              John Andrew Hickey
              Female
              White
              26 Apr 1894
              Manor Statio, Pennsylvania
              William Hickey
              Isbella Carey
              Jun 1937: Name listed as JOHN ANDREW HICKEY

Par for the course -also they put down whatever age took their fancy and I think they probably told officials whatever they thought they might like to hear.
              Pleased Isabel is only a twig on my tree, because I do feel sorry for any descendants of her first born - bp James Patrick Hogan in 1882. In 1900 he was recorded at his mother's house in Pennsylvania as James Hickey (son), but also at his uncle's house in Ohio as James Carey (nephew). His uncle was William Hogan, elder brother of James's birth father Robert Hogan and Mrs Willam Hogan, his aunt by marriage, was, before her own marriage, Mary Jane Carey, elder sister of Isabel, James's mother. His birth father Robert Hogan was also in Pennsylvania with his own family from his first wife, then he married again and acquired several step-children.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I've just twigged the John ANDREW, who I've only known as John. Isabel had an elder brother called Andrew Carey, who was recorded as married and had three children in 1881 census. He and his brother in law William Hogan were in a spot of bother with the law shortly afterwards and William and Robert Hogan both cleared off to America. Andrew Carey's wife (another Isabella Carey, but nee Dodds) and children remained in England. I've never been able to find any later trace of Andrew, but I've often wondered if he too crossed the pond??? Maybe his wife was to follow later but didn't want to go? Eventually she took up with my great uncle and they lived as man and wife and had several children, although they never married - I've often pondered if that was because her husband Andrew was still alive? Now I'm wondering if Isabel's son John was given the second forename after her brother Andrew???
                They are such a mixed up lot. I'm pretty sure that the Hogans were the children of my great- grandmother's sister. The Hogan boys had a sibling named Sarah who married around the time William, Robert and their elder sister Eleanor all went off to America. She stayed in Northumberland and eventually her daughter, another Isabella, married my father's half-brother. There are so many Carey and Hogan links with my family and a whole host of Isabellas that it gives me quite a headache.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Blimey O'Reilly. No wonder you're creative with your emojis when summarising this lot.

Christine
                  Researching:

Comment

Working...
                  X