Did you know? - Mother's Maiden name MMN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you know? - Mother's Maiden name MMN

There are people that are new to family tree research, and there are now so many records out there it is easy to forget everything that is out there.

I thought it would be nice to start a few posts to remind everyone or let people know some great research tools.

Mother's maiden name is a good way to find all the children of a family. Once you have found one child and the mothers maiden name you can add this to search fields to narrow down to those only with the same mother. Don't forget the spellings may change, so check for alternative spellings, by selecting/de-selecting exact match/sounds like etc.

You can use the GRO.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp - you must create an account (free) and then you can search.
    The search will only let you extend over 2 years either side of the year you have chosen, so can be quite laborious. The index of the MMN do not go beyond 1919

Or you can use FindmyPast, you don't need to have a subscription to search
    https://search.findmypast.co.uk/sear...d_civil-births
    This will give you a much wider search year - so often a better place to start, and then once pinpointed the years and names you can go back to GRO.

some notes here from a while back, although the site looks a bit different.
    https://www.familytreeforum.com/arti...-s-maiden-name

FreeBMD

This has a field for the MMN

I am sure there are more search/hints people can add, on the use of MMN

Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

If you have ancestors in Lancashire you can also search Lancashire BMD with a mother's maiden name and it may also give you the sub district, some of mine are registered in Burnley on the GRO but Lancashire BMD has revealed that Colne is the sub district which has helped me to distinguish my Trawden ancestors when there are births with the same name and the same quarter for Burnley.

Comment

GRO have added 1984-2004. I don't know why they skipped 1920-1983.
      People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
      Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

GRO have now added 1920-1934
        People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
        Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Someone has just pointed out that they do not have the maiden name included for these new periods, beyond 1919 on GRO.

FMP and FreeBMD do cover more years, I am not certain if there is somewhere that they publish the years covered
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
            Someone has just pointed out that they do not have the maiden name included for these new periods, beyond 1919 on GRO.
            The reason for this is to do with 100 years closure rule.

a) However if you suspect you know the mother's maiden name and add it to the search it will show up.
            B) If you search without a forename it will list all of those with the same surname as normal with the MMN blank for those without the MN you chose.

*****, MURIEL KATHLEEN
            GRO Reference: 1921 J Quarter in ******* Volume 04A Page ****

a) *****, MURIEL KATHLEEN L****K
            GRO Reference: 1921 J Quarter in ******* Volume 04A Page ****

b)

****, EILEEN NELLIE P***E
            GRO Reference: 1928 J Quarter in ***** Volume 04A Page ****

****, ELSIE MARY LOUISE
            GRO Reference: 1931 D Quarter in ***** Volume 04A Page ****

****, ELSIE MAY
            GRO Reference: 1931 J Quarter in ***** Volume 04A Page ****

****, OLIVE ROSEMARY P***E
            GRO Reference: 1931 M Quarter in ***** Volume 04A Page ****

Last edited by Katarzyna; 29-12-20, 16:42. Reason: Clarity ...I hope!
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

FMP does show you the maiden name as I checked, have not checked FreeBMD. So I think it is a case of checking each option available depending on the information you have and get a full picture by using them all.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

You are right Carolyn- FreeBMD does too. I cannot think of another reason why GRO are being so coy about this.

Edit: btw you were asking about BMD coverage:
                From their main page chose Information - it's in the statistics section:

Last edited by Katarzyna; 29-12-20, 17:20.
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Working...
                X