Maggie Jane Fox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maggie Jane Fox

Maggie Jane was born 4 Oct 1903 in Ballyshannon, Co Donegal. I have her birth, marriage and death, all in Ireland and can remember her from when I was little. However, I never knew till I chanced across it yesterday that she had emigrated to Portland, Maine, arriving in NY in Nov 1924 on the SS Republic and that she became a naturalised US citizen. I have found her arrival in New York, her 1930 US census record, her Naturalization papers, and her UK incoming back home to Ireland in 1933. She had a return ticket and intended to reside permanently in the USA, but didn't go back.
    Just for the sake of completeness, I would like to find her UK outgoing record from 1924 but have drawn a blank. Can anyone locate it for me? I'm not sure if there would be an outward record from NY in 1933, but if there is, it might indicate the reason for her journey back home.
    For info - she uses the more formal Margaret or Margaret Jane on all the records I have found after her birth reg. The NY incoming in 1924 is poorly transcribed on Ancestry giving her age as 29.

Thanks.

Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Do you think if she went to Maine first, she could have stayed there for a few months/year, or do you know she went straight onto New York. I am assuming there were trains to New York. Wonder why she went to Maine, I have no genealogy knowledge of travel then, but can see that there were ships direct. Maybe like now it was price, or perhaps she knew someone there.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Port of arrival was New York, with final destination Portland, Maine - lots of family already settled there.

Christine

Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Have found a transcript but no image, will send it to you Christine

Comment

I can see that the leaving port was cobh(Queenstown) 30th October on the record you found, and on ancestry there are only 2 months on there for 1924 - August and September. Are there any records elsewhere.
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 12-04-20, 09:24.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
            I can see that the leaving port was cobh(Queenstown) 30th October on the record you found, and on ancestry there are only 2 months on there for 1924 - August and September. Are there any records elsewhere.
            Ah, that accounts for my fruitless search for departure then - I didn't think to check if there were gaps in the records.

Christine
            Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Frazzled View Post
              Have found a transcript but no image, will send it to you Christine
              Caroline,
              I already have the image (both pages) for her arrival in NY. It was the corresponding outgoing record from Cobh I was looking for.
              Carolyn in post 5 seems to have resolved the issue of why I couldn't find anything.

Christine
              Researching:

Comment

The Ellis Island Records show her age as !9 years,also her sister paid for her ticket.
                Her sister was Mary Fox and she was going to join her at 24 Marion Street,Portland Maine.Her stay is not recorded as Permanent but appears to be Indefernant ?
                Not all wanted to stay. My G/Grandfather, his wife and daughter left Co Clare in 1901 for New York. They returned to Ireland in 1908 and bought a farm,which is still
                going strong.

Matt

My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Muir View Post
                  The Ellis Island Records show her age as !9 years,also her sister paid for her ticket.
                  Her sister was Mary Fox and she was going to join her at 24 Marion Street,Portland Maine.Her stay is not recorded as Permanent but appears to be Indefernant ?
                  Not all wanted to stay. My G/Grandfather, his wife and daughter left Co Clare in 1901 for New York. They returned to Ireland in 1908 and bought a farm,which is still
                  going strong.

Matt

Thanks Matt but that is the information I already had. Marion Street is a common port of call for incoming relatives!
                  Her sister Mary Fox married and lived in Portland for the rest of her life.

My grandad emigrated to Portland in 1904 and became a naturalised US citizen in 1912. He and his two sisters, all of whom intended to reside permanently in America, came for a trip home in 1914. A couple of days into their journey back across the Atlantic, WW1 broke out. The family story is that their mother didn't want them to travel back to Portland while the war was on. My grandad stayed on the family farm and it was passed to his sons when he died.
                  In the event, my grandad and 2 great-aunts all ended up marrying and staying in Ireland for the rest of their lives. I wonder how the two sisters might have felt after working and building successful independent lives in America, and then being farmers' wives out in the sticks. They both married older men, and we wonder if matchmaking played a part...

Christine
                  Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                    Thanks Matt but that is the information I already had. Marion Street is a common port of call for incoming relatives!
                    Her sister Mary Fox married and lived in Portland for the rest of her life.

My grandad emigrated to Portland in 1904 and became a naturalised US citizen in 1912. He and his two sisters, all of whom intended to reside permanently in America, came for a trip home in 1914. A couple of days into their journey back across the Atlantic, WW1 broke out. The family story is that their mother didn't want them to travel back to Portland while the war was on. My grandad stayed on the family farm and it was passed to his sons when he died.
                    In the event, my grandad and 2 great-aunts all ended up marrying and staying in Ireland for the rest of their lives. I wonder how the two sisters might have felt after working and building successful independent lives in America, and then being farmers' wives out in the sticks. They both married older men, and we wonder if matchmaking played a part...

Christine
                    That does sound like a story chosen for them rather than their choice. What a shame, war changes lives in all different ways. :(
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

That does sound like a story chosen for them rather than their choice. What a shame, war changes lives in all different ways. :(
                      Well, I wouldn't be here for a start if my grandad had gone back to America!

Christine
                      Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                        Well, I wouldn't be here for a start if my grandad had gone back to America!

Christine
                        silver lining in everything
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                        X