Why born in London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why born in London

William Page born 1865 married to Ellen Bond born 1869 Suffolk UK area. They had a daughter Emily born 1896 and it says Marylebone London on her birth certificate.
    The question is why was she born in London when everything record wise for all the family is Tattingstone Suffolk. I realise that it is probably an unanswerable question but you never know
    Regards
    Ann

what was their job(s)?
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Was Emily the first child? Wives often went to be near their mother or some other relative for a first confinement.
      Or it could have been a premature birth and the parents were not at their usual abode and things didn't go according to plan!

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thank you for replying. William was a farm labourer and Ellen household duties. I have looked and Ellens parents were always in Tattingstone. What I have found is that Ellen had a sister called Emily. She was a servant in Kensington in 1891. Here is where my old brain starts going off on a tangent. Could Ellen have been visiting Emily but here a question arises. William and Ellen were married in the July quarter of 1896 and Emily was born August 1896 so would she have travelled that far on in a pregnancy or even got married that late. Was this Emilys child born out of wedlock and named after her mother, but taken in by her sister Ellen. I have seen a short birth certificate for Emily no information. I feel like Miss Marple. Regards Ann

Comment

The marriage could be after the birth? Seems likely that she could be with sister, was she in a place with her family?
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

It does sound very likely. Perhaps you need to get Emily's full birth cert. Can you see both Emily and Ellen after 1896?

OC

Comment

Don't forget that one single record, especially a census entry or a birth or death, only gives a snapshot of where that person was on that particular date. I have someone who was in the same Norfolk village for 3 consecutive census returns. However, the birth certificates of his children indicate that he moved around a lot, as they were all born in different places, including Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Devon, Scotland and Norway. The father was a ship's carpenter and seems to have moved around regularly for work. All the birth places were "boat" towns, either by the coast or on one of the canals. I think you need the birth certificate of Emily and also the marriage cert if you can't find an image of this online.
              Not a rare event for there to only be three weeks between a marriage and the birth of the first child.

ETA - may I ask how you know that William & Emma married in July - do you already have the cert? All I've managed to find online so far is that the marriage was registered in Suffolk in Q3 1896 - this would indicate July, August or September. As Carolyn suggested, they may have married AFTER the birth.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

The birth is registered as if they were a married couple, so maybe they married a few weeks before the birth, not unheard of in my family, lol.

OC

Comment

CBCarolyn Emily was a servant so no other family
                  OH I have Ellen on lots after the birth date but I cant find Emily
                  Jay I did not mean July I meant that quarter including July for the marriage

Can I get the birth certificate to view online. I have not done that.
                  May never know the answer to this but thank you all
                  Regards
                  Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Oldie View Post
                    CBCarolyn Emily was a servant so no other family
                    OH I have Ellen on lots after the birth date but I cant find Emily
                    Jay I did not mean July I meant that quarter including July for the marriage

Can I get the birth certificate to view online. I have not done that.
                    May never know the answer to this but thank you all
                    Regards
                    Ann
                    Sorry perhaps I didn't make myself clear! No, the only way to view the birth certificate is to buy a copy. You can order this online from the GRO site and download a PDF - this method is much cheaper than buying the cert from the relevant register office.
                    It was an image of the marriage cert that I meant when I said about viewing on line. Some church marriage registers have been digitised and can be viewed online for free, but I don't know what is available online for Suffolk though. (That method doesn't work if the couple married at the registrar's office.)
                    Have you looked for a death (or marriage) for Emily Bond if you can't find her after 1891 census?

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

William, Ellen and Emily Page are living at Nr White Horse, Tattingstone, Suffolk in the 1901 census, with Emily, 4, shown as born in London.

merleyone

Comment

Originally posted by merleyone View Post
                        William, Ellen and Emily Page are living at Nr White Horse, Tattingstone, Suffolk in the 1901 census, with Emily, 4, shown as born in London.

merleyone
                        Isn't it Ellen's sister Emily (nee Bond) who hasn't been found after 1891, rather than Emily Page, daughter of William Page & Ellen Nee Bond???

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I am now unsure whether you are searching for Ellen's sister, Emily, or Ellen's daughter, Emily.
                          Do you know that daughter, Emily, was baptised on 29/11/1896 at Tattingstone, Suffolk? Parents shown as William and Ellen Page.

William and Ellen Page were also still living at Tattingstone in 1939.

merleyone

Comment

Yes it is very confusing. It is Ellens sister that I am trying to find. In 1891 she was a servant in Kensington London but no more luck.
                            Regards
                            Ann

Comment

Working...
                            X