FMP "BIGGEST RELEASE OF THE YEAR"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMP "BIGGEST RELEASE OF THE YEAR"

So FMP has released what they are touting as the biggest release of the year.....electoral rolls for 1832-1932 for the whole of england and wales.

does anybody else feel completely underwhelmed by this?

like i can think of so many records they could digitise that would be more useful to the general public than these. Half the country still haven't got online parish registers....like durham, cumbria, northumberland. FMP focuses on historical society transcripts for some of these counties, but the actual images would be great. And they could also add registers outside the years they already have.

And of course we have remember that these rolls are a rather small part of the population as I understand it. For a start it would only be male landowners and no females until they were emancipated after the Great War, and no children at all.
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

yes underwhelmed, they will give very little info. wonder why they chose that. Must have been easy.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Biggest as in largest number not biggest as in most important then.

Comment

I was totally underwhelmed too. I bit like shop sales when you've had your eye on something ages only to find it's not included in the sale.
          Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
            And of course we have remember that these rolls are a rather small part of the population as I understand it. For a start it would only be male landowners and no females until they were emancipated after the Great War, and no children at all.
            No - females voted in the local elections - my great grandmother is here on 1901 ER - Laura Cubitt

Edit: For some reason - don't know why -all these are females. On other pages there are males too.

There are none for Suffolk - always bottom of the pile:(
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 04-04-20, 10:58.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I think some record offices are reluctant to hand over more of their stuff. People having to attend in person (or pay for look ups) means that the offices and search rooms are still being USED and therefore a justification for them being kept open. Digitising records has moved on at a cracking pace and we must now have a whole generation of family tree enthusiasts who don't even know where CRO's are, let alone having visited them!! These days if the event you want is not on line, then most likely never happened

I agree about electoral rolls being a non-event; in fact I find FMP Fridays a lot of noise about very little, usually.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I'm desperate for Bedfordshire PRs to come online. ALL my Dad's side of the family come from there and its such a long way away. But even if you visit the (very nice and helpful) Archive in Bedford you aren't allowed to see anything of the PRs before 1812, they are not even on film. Many years ago the local volunteers transcribed them but it's an abbreviated sort of transcription with non of the extras you might get to see on the actual record. I have bought some of the discs but these are just discs of the transcriptions. If FMP or Ancestry were ever to do them it would involve a complete filming of them.
                Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                  I'm desperate for Bedfordshire PRs to come online.
                  Anne
                  Can you share which parishes?

Comment

This week’s FMP Friday was a bit of a damp squib.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post

Can you share which parishes?
                      Its quite a lot of them! Ampthill, Barton le Clay, Shillington, Cranfield, Blunham, Cople, all Bedford parishes, Willington. The list is long and I only have a couple of discs. My dad's family go back to 1690 all of them in Bedfordshire. Occasionally they leaked out to surrounding areas and its great to get those in Hertfordshire properly. But neighbouring Huntingdonshire is very poor, lovely Archive but no filming done!
                      Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post

Ampthill, Barton le Clay, Shillington, Cranfield, Blunham, Cople, Willington.
                        Anne
                        I like to check FamilySearch's catalog for their resources. It's important to know that when you're looking at their information about films, they will list the film contents on the left, then several symbols to the right of that listing
                        film reel - it's been filmed, and FS has a copy of that
                        camera - it's online but it there's a key over the camera, it can only be viewed at a family history centre or via an LDS member account
                        magnifying glass - it's indexed thru familysearch.

That said:
                        Ampthill,
                        PR
                        https://www.familysearch.org/search/...tory%20Library

Barton le Clay,
                        BT
                        the PR is filmed, but not online.

Shillington,
                        PR - it is indexed on FS, too
                        Cranfield,

Blunham,
                        PR, and apparently indexed

Cople,

Willington.

Comment

So, I think all the online films I listed were locked. When (!!) this epidemic is under control, and FHCs re-open, you should be able to visit one to see those films.

Notice that they apparently have films that go back prior to 1812

Comment

Mmmm, that's interesting so see it looks like they actually have been filmed. I certainly didn't get to see the films in the Archive, just had to use printed books of transcriptions, which are most likely fine but not as satisfying as seeing the real thing. Also, of course, if they were on line and indexed I would almost certainly be able to make more progress with wider family. Thanks for looking!
                            Anne

Comment

I went a few times about 15 years ago & they were loathe to allow me to see the films but eventually relented. I could understand protecting the originals!! However they were good about sending on copies and when a copy of a burial had been too delicate to film they sent me the individual's will instead.
                              Glen

Comment

I'm glad i'm not the only one! I have a lot of northern heritage, so finishing up with yorkshire parishes half filmed would be great. All of durham could be filmed. I have ancestors from cumberland and westmorland i might be able to make headway on. But also have hampshire and sussex ancestors. Suffolk and norfolk.

i feel like focusing on the parish registers and wills prior to 1858 will be better draw cards.

Comment

Working...
                                X