Job description

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job description

I've just read a lovely obituary of a 2nd cousin in America, full of detail about her life and character.

This bit made me laugh:
    Margaret was known for her work ethic, sometimes referred to as the "General." She began her working life "shaking farts out of the sheets" at the Greely Laundry Company, once located on Washington Avenue.

Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

That's unlike any I've ever read before!

Comment

what should it say? Or is that correct?
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

what should it say? Or is that correct?
        It's her own words. I imagine she came across far worse in a laundry though...
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

That's made me laugh, I'm surprised they were allowed to say it really.

Reminds me of one of my ancestors who hung himself and when he was found he was QUITE dead. What is the difference between dead and quite dead. More dramatic!!
          Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I can't find it now, but a distant relation was driving a horse and cart containing "a lady and a woman" lol, which overturned outside a newly renovated hotel and the "lady" was carried into the hotel. Several paragraphs described the hotel renovations in detail and named the builder responsible!I

OC

Comment

Just found another obit for someone who married into the family. I think there's a bit of subtext going on here - am I being uncharitable in thinking he sounds like he was a bit of a pain in the a***?

"He lived a tremendous yet volatile life. He was a star athlete, making headlines as a pitcher and shortstop for the baseball team, as well as a star Bowler and Football player. He was a free bird, a spitfire with a striking personality. *****'s life is one that's not soon to be forgotten."

Christine
              Researching:

Comment

LOL - that job description reminds me of an old lady of my childhood. She had a large family of sons who used to often visit her on Sundays. It was always alleged that one Monday morning she was standing outside her front door, shaking the cushions from her settee. - told her neighbour she was doing that because "our lads was all here yesterday and they sat down on that settee. When they'd gone Ah thought t cushions smelled a bit arsey, so Ah's givin em a good shek in t fresh air."

We just don't have characters like that anymore.
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                X