Womens RAF 1918

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Womens RAF 1918

Hi, could a 16 year old of joined the womens RAF in 1918 (or would she of had to of lied about her age)? Had a hint when adding a birth of an ancestor which is on NA but I don't want to pay £3.50 if it won't give me any info (only 2 pages and one looks blank)!
    Thanks

The minimum age was 18 in 1918. She may have transferred in from one of the other services, which might not have been so fussy about checking ages. Anything is possible!

OC

Comment

Will this be a record that maybe free soon, Caroline posted yesterday about NA.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Unless a person was obviously under age I suspect that recruiting authorities weren’t too fussed about the age of an applicant, the ability to be able to do a job being paramount.
        both my grandfathers were cases in point. One put up his age by 2 years to join - admittedly this was in 1885 but I think this was a sign of the times. He eventually left in 1919.
        The other was 48yo when he joined in 1915 but stated he was 40 and got away with it as he joined the ASC as a driver, this category being in fairly short supply in those days.
        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Thanks all! I'll look for Carolyn's post!

Comment

Working...
          X