X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Archives UPDATE below

The National Archives
    ·
    We’re pleased to confirm that we will be giving everyone free access to our digitised collections very soon, but it’s taking our amazing digital team a bit of time to make it happen.

They’re facing similar challenges to the rest of the world with regard to connecting to our various technical systems while working from home, and many of them are also juggling childcare duties. Stay tuned for an update soon!

EDIT: To clarify, we’re referring to digitised collections that are available on our website (and usually chargeable) – at this stage, this doesn’t extend to our collections on other sites.

UPDATE: Free access to digital records

Last edited by Caroline; 23-04-20, 09:30. Reason: Added update
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Brilliant, I'm sure there are things for me to look at. Will start making a list tomorrow. Years ago, I went every year on a bus trip with a friend who belonged to Derbyshire Family History Society.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

This is wonderful news. Very generous of them. Will have a look in a day or two and make a list.

Comment

This is not a source that I am very familiar with. Could you tell me what sort of things can be found there, please?
        Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

coo, not sure what will be on there that I would want - will have to have a look see.

That and ancestry library edition - everyone is making an effort to help the boredom...well done them.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
            This is not a source that I am very familiar with. Could you tell me what sort of things can be found there, please?
            You can browse here

Comment

It's our national treasure trove!
              TNA is based in Kew, London. The site is free to view and search. You can download all sorts of family history documents, military, law and the court etc. etc

https://nationalarchives.gov.uk/help...research-guide

These are the online guides:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...ategory=online
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thank you, ladies That's tomorrow's entertainment sorted
                Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Caroline.

Comment

Thank you, ladies That's tomorrow's entertainment sorted
                    Sadly, I drew a bit of a blank. I thought it would be relatively easy to find some information about an ancestor who was an RAF squadron leader when he died but not so

Born Charles Henry Goodall 29 Jul 1891 in Lambeth, London. I have him confirmed on the 1901 and 1911 census and on the 1939 register his occupation is Warrant Officer RAF followed by some numbers that are not very clear

Charles Henry Goodall 1939 register snip.JPG
                    He died 5 Sept 1960 in Hampshire and is given as Squadron Leader RAF (retired) on the death certificate.

I don't really know what I was expecting to find but I looked in all of the RAF related records and found nothing apart from a couple of lists which showed a Charles Goodall with no other information.

Would anybody who knows their way round this stuff like to have a look for me, please.

PS He was baptised as Charles Henry Marshall Goodall but I have not found Marshall used in any other context

CHGoodall baptism snip.JPG

Comment

He was obviously serving in 1939 and presumably afterwards, to have the rank of Squadron Leader. RAF Service records after WW1 aren't available at the National Archives. The entry in the 1939 Register may say 6 Squadron, but he didn't necessarily remain with 6 Squadron. Would be worth a search of the London Gazette for any mention of him (online and free, although notoriously difficult to search). If you can establish his Squadron, Operations Records Books by Squadron should be available in the free National Archives records coming up, hopefully soon
                      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thank you for that suggestion. I have previously found two references in the London Gazette which I saved for future reference but had no idea what they meant Not my sphere of knowledge at all ! Can you explain what they mean, please.

Can I upload them here? Yes, good.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Had quickly searched London Gazette and found one of those. Quite a step up, though, from those ranks, to Squadron Leader. You could search London Gazette further, using 43761 as the search term. The RAF List, which appears to only be online up to 1945 is worth a look, too. The full run of RAF lists is at the National Archives, where I'm a regular visitor as I'm a professional researcher, but, of course they are closed until further notice
                          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Is it possible that his daughter, who notified his death, might not have known his actual rank and just told them Squadron Leader because it sounded good. No one would check something like that at the time a death was registered, would they?

The reason that I am a bit sceptical, after you saying it was a big step up, is because he was my great uncle and I think if he had such a high rank, the family would have been proud of him and it would have been mentioned.

Comment

He was given a wartime commission from WO as the Gazette says and then could have kept it after hostilities, since so many officers were lost, and got further promotions thereafter. There should be more announcements for his other promotions in the Gazette later on.

RAF Ranks
                              • Pilot Officer.
                              • Flying Officer.
                              • Flight Lieutenant.
                              • Squadron Leader.
                              It looks like a big jump in rank but my father started in the RN as an apprentice in 1944, was a Petty Officer when I was born in 1951 but retired as a Lieutenant Commander in 1970 having earned his commission as an Upper Yardsman.
                              Caroline
                              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Yes, quite possible that the family didn't know his rank or they over inflated it. The London Gazette or RAF List should confirm, one way or the other

Comment

Thanks. I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for but I'll have another go and see what comes up.

Comment

Have you considred applying to the MOD for his service record?

Comment

Yes, would be worth applying for his service records, but, as things are at the moment, there would be a long wait

Comment

You know all those wills you want but don't have a sub to Ancestry or The Genealogist?

The National Archives digital collection is now live.

Fair use policy etc. is in the link above.
                                        Caroline

Comment

Working...
                                        X