James Moore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Moore

I am looking for a little assistance and perhaps a fresh set of eyes to help me find out when my great-great grandfather, James Moore died. He lived in Innisrush, County L'derry in Ireland and according to the 1911 census he was born in 1851. He was married twice, his first wife was Eliza Stewart, she died in 1886. His second wife was Eliza Evans, who died in 1918 (influenza), and on her death certificate it seems he was still alive, as its states she was 'married'. If James had died prior to 1918, it would have listed her as a 'widow'...as far as I am aware!

I doubt James Moore moved from Innisrush before he died, I just can't find a death cert for him anywhere, I just hope I haven't overlooked a record. I've looked on Irish genealogy etc.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Londonderry is in northern ireland. All records after the civil war and independence for northern ireland are held by them.
    ​​​https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles...t-certificates

if he died post 1922, this is where you'd get a death cert.

Comment

Thanks kylejustin, I have checked there constantly over the past few years and I still can't locate him. It really is a strange scenario! The problem with a name like James Moore is that it's an extremely popular name. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
        Londonderry is in northern ireland. All records after the civil war and independence for northern ireland are held by them.
        ​​​https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles...t-certificates

if he died post 1922, this is where you'd get a death cert.
        Problem with that is you have to visit PRONI to find the record. No search online available.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I thought death certificates were available online dating back 50 years?

Comment

If you know the exact birthdate you can search within 5 year periods of time. You cannot search GRONI with 1851 for example.

Capture.JPG

You will need credits then to view.

There is a free search which will bring up all James Moore records of all ages who died within the 5 year period but I could not get it to work for me.

Last edited by Katarzyna; 30-03-20, 18:48.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thank you so much but I've been through every page record from that site and cannot find him at all. I've been using it for years, I've just hit a brick wall and came here for new ideas...

Comment

Originally posted by rankpin View Post
                I thought death certificates were available online dating back 50 years?
                Yes, you are right, they are.

I had a look last night. As the 1918 death registration you mentioned for his 2nd wife was registered in Magherafelt, sub-reg district Bellaghy, I searched first for James Moore deaths on irishgenealogy.ie in Magherafelt and got nothing that fitted which implies he died after 1921. Then tried the geni website right through to about 1950 and the only result I got for a James Moore death registered in Bellaghy was for a 57 year old James Moore who died on 25 April 1924 so the age is way off. When I searched just using Magherafelt, I got surprisingly few results, and again none that fitted.

I didn't search any wider than that as I suspect that would have brought up loads of results to sift through, which it sounds as if you have already done.

Is it possible that he could have been living with one of his children post-1918 and died somewhere other than Magherafelt reg district?
                I think I'd be tempted to view the 1924 James Moore death in Bellaghy, just in case there might be a transcription error with the age - I think it's still only £1.50 to view a record for 72 hours.
                Just on a side note, it took me years to find my 2g grandad's death in NI as nothing seemed to fit age wise. When I did eventually find it, the original age on the certificate was recorded as 81 which was about right. But for some reason which still utterly baffles me, his brother made a statutory declaration to alter his age from 81 to 64 so the age at death was indexed with the amended age.
                Ridiculous as this would have meant his first marriage would have been at age 7 and he would have been a father at age 9!

So you never know what you might find in what looks to be an unpromising record...

Good luck!

Christine

PS only 9 James Moore burial records in the whole of Co Derry on findagrave and again nothing that fits. Do you know where other family members were buried? If so, it might be worth getting in touch with the relevant church/cemetery.
                Researching:
                HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thank you very much for your time and the effort you put in Karamazov, I really appreciate it.

I believe you are correct! I took a screenshot of that record a few years back and took a look there now.

Its clear that the transcription could be either 57, or maybe 87. In 1901 census he is listed as being 50 years old and in 1911 as 60, but as you say census and death certificate ages occasionally never match up. The death is recorded in Innisrush and his daughter Agnes was present at the time, plus he is a widower (All point to it being him). I was never sure about the record, for a range of reasons; the age and the name was so popular even in Magherafelt.

The family are synonymous with Bellaghy/Innisrush so I was always certain he would have died there!

Comment

Originally posted by rankpin View Post
                    Thank you very much for your time and the effort you put in Karamazov, I really appreciate it.

I believe you are correct! I took a screenshot of that record a few years back and took a look there now.

Its clear that the transcription could be either 57, or maybe 87. In 1901 census he is listed as being 50 years old and in 1911 as 60, but as you say census and death certificate ages occasionally never match up. The death is recorded in Innisrush and his daughter Agnes was present at the time, plus he is a widower (All point to it being him). I was never sure about the record, for a range of reasons; the age and the name was so popular even in Magherafelt.

The family are synonymous with Bellaghy/Innisrush so I was always certain he would have died there!
                    Looks like you've found him then! I did think to myself that 57 could quite easily be a mistranscription of 87, which was in the right ballpark age wise for your man. Pleased my hunch paid off...

Christine
                    Researching:
                    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Working...
                    X