Just knocked down a brick wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just knocked down a brick wall

John Lowe my 3 x G Grandfather was born in Nottingham to William And Hannah. He had 3 sibling and I know all about John.
    His parents were William and Hannah and I couldn't find a marriage for them that fitted. William died in 1822 and said he was born 1784. I've know this for years and too many Lowes to sort out.
    I have just had a look and Hannah could have married again in 1822 to Charles Miller. I have found her death and burial but not buried with anyone I know.
    Have been on Freereg as having no luck and came across a marriage in Arnold about 4 miles on the outskirts of Nottm. Her name Metheringham. On the 1851 she is born in Reford Notts. There is a baptism there.
    Just relooked at her marriage to Charles Miller and on of the witnesses is Hannah Metheringham.
    Off to sort William out now. Great
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Another one breaking down a brick wall this week. Well done. Patience is a virtue as they say.
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 28-03-20, 18:45.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Isn’t it great when the bits start to fit

Comment

I'm very pleased as Lowe was my Mums maiden name. The funny thing is that my Mums older sister said when I first started my family history that she thought the Lowe's originated from Arnold. I had totally forgot that until today.
        Lin

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
          I'm very pleased as Lowe was my Mums maiden name. The funny thing is that my Mums older sister said when I first started my family history that she thought the Lowe's originated from Arnold. I had totally forgot that until today.
          If you need a lookup shout

and I love it when those walls come tumbling down
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie, I haven't looked at William yet just getting my head round the Metheringhams. I'll be back if I need anything.
            Lin

Comment

Julie, I could do with your help please.

I have John Metheringham and Mary having 6 children dating from 1776 to 1789 in East Retford Notts.

Looking for his marriage I have found on in Chesterfield in 1775. Were do you think he was from, please?.

Also do you think it fits. After all the children were born they seem to move to Arnold. Not sure if just the family moved or just the chiildren.

Thanks and anyone can help if they like but Julie offered and she know they area.
              Lin

Comment

Forgot to say I have found a Bap in 1751 for him in Sutton Cum Lound which is a few mile from East Retford.
                Lin

Comment

Thanks Julie, I haven't looked at William yet just getting my head round the Metheringhams. I'll be back if I need anything.
                  I can see 10 baptisms in East Retford Lin, starting from 1747-1803
                  Julie

Comment

Julie, I could do with your help please.

I have John Metheringham and Mary having 6 children dating from 1776 to 1789 in East Retford Notts.

Looking for his marriage I have found on in Chesterfield in 1775. Were do you think he was from, please?.

Also do you think it fits. After all the children were born they seem to move to Arnold. Not sure if just the family moved or just the chiildren.

Thanks and anyone can help if they like but Julie offered and she know they area.
                    just having a look Lin..
                    Julie

Comment

1806 11 02 John METHRINGHAM Mary A. STRAW ARNOLD St Mary

1827 09 27 John METHERINGHAM Mary Ann CAMB TUXFORD St Nicholas

These are the only two I can find Lin. Tuxford isn't that far fro Retford, and as you know the family/children moved to Arnold.. it's not unheard of for the mum and dad to pretend that they were married when in fact they weren't. I have a mum and dad like that and they had their children and married in 1806 and the dad then died two years after...

it may be that either were already married so couldn't marry until their spouse had died.
                      Julie

Comment

I have been looking and think he might have died in 1790. The one in Chesterfield in 1775 says he came from Cucknall in Notts. Just wondering if you thought it should be Cuckney or Hucknall. Cuckney is a few miles from East Retford.

I've got some that didn't marry or even married after their children did because they were already married to someone else. When you get back this far it is far harder if they move about. Thanks again. Just going for a coffee and rest my brain!!
                        Lin

Comment

I have been looking and think he might have died in 1790. The one in Chesterfield in 1775 says he came from Cucknall in Notts. Just wondering if you thought it should be Cuckney or Hucknall. Cuckney is a few miles from East Retford.

I've got some that didn't marry or even married after their children did because they were already married to someone else. When you get back this far it is far harder if they move about. Thanks again. Just going for a coffee and rest my brain!!
                          yea I'd say Cuckney too Hucknall is a good 20/5 miles from Retford.
                          Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie. Think I'll have that marriage then.
                            Lin

Comment

Just received Hannah's death certificate, that's 2 today out of the 3 I ordered. All fits in place. Her daughter Harriet from her 2nd marriage to Charles Miller registered her death.
                              Lin

Comment

Well done Lin

Comment

Thanks G L
                                  Lin

Comment

Working...
                                  X