Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

These blooming Harrisons of mine, again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These blooming Harrisons of mine, again...

I got a pdf death certificate the other day for the man I hoped to be my 4xGGF John Harrison but I am not 100% certain it is him as the informant was not a family member. He was a potter's packer - check. He died in High Street, Tunstall - check. He was of the expected age - check. BUT, as is turning out be par for the course with this family, there's never a family member around when you need them to do the decent thing and go to the registrar. The informant was a John Dobson who resided in High Street, Tunstall but cannot be found there in 1861 or later in 1871 so no help there.
    I was prepared to accept that I most likely have the death for the right man but then I found a John Harrison of the right age in the 1861 census living in High Street, Tunstall whose wife just annoyingly had to called Mary A. Yet I was sure I had my Mary safely deceased in 1844 (she who died after breaking a rib falling off a stool - another cert with only the coroner as informant).
    What's wrong with the couple on the 1861 is that they are both born Longton, Staffordshire but from the 1841 census, I know that my Mary was born out of county. 1841 is the only census that I have positively got my 4xGGrandparents together. Also this 1861 John's occupation is a puzzle. The first word is almost illegible (slightly better on ancestry version) and then the enumerator has written "no, Collier" after that. My 4xGGF was in the potteries trade and the death certificate I got confirms that. If there were indeed two John Harrisons alive in Tunstall in 1861, then where is "my" one?? Or is it actually him and he had temporarily changed occupation...
    Can anyone make out what the hard to read first word is for the 1861 occupation. He is in household 328. Am clutching at straws here as you can tell LOL

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...cklabel=Return

I------man ?
    Might be a job connected with the pits so they just grouped him as a collier?
    I think a potter's packer was one who filled the kiln. He could have transferable skills perhaps.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

The image on FMP is a little clearer - and the transcription hasn't got the occupation.

Caroline
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

My first reaction was Engineer no collier -but initial capital Es elsewhere on page for Emma, Edward etc seem more ornate...

Christine
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
          My first reaction was Engineer no collier -but initial capital Es elsewhere on page for Emma, Edward etc seem more ornate...

Christine
          I thought Engineer from the FMP one but dismissed it for the same reason and then I wondered if it was an f in the middle.....
          Caroline

Comment

Thanks for the clearer image. I found the FMP page on my laptop to be very grey.
            Could it be Infirm? (as in disabled)

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
              Thanks for the clearer image. I found the FMP page on my laptop to be very grey.
              Could it be Infirm? (as in disabled)
              I think you are right GL, which is why the collier has been crossed out & "no" written

Comment

Thanks Jill. One problem solved but doesn’t really help me much as I can’t find my John in 1851 either so no idea if he was disabled in any way or not. The death certificate I got says he died of paralysis, 6 months, certified but that was 1864, three years after the census. I discovered from baptismal records that there were a few more children than appeared in the 1841 census. No surprises that of the two who did make it to civil registration- one death and one birth and death, the birth was not signed by him nor the two deaths. One has the mark of a Mary Harrison but no relationship to the deceased and the other was the coroner for the 13 year old (from an earlier thread) who died by visitation of God.
                Of his children who made it to adulthood and married, not one of them has whether John was deceased at the time or not. He never appears as a witness.
                If I didn’t have bad luck, I’d have none at all LOL
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 27-03-20, 14:25. Reason: Predictive txt

Comment

Is it possible your mary did die in 1844, and he remarried to a mary a(nne?)? Sounds quite likely to be your guy in 1864.

Comment

Sorry, no. There’s no remarriage that fits. The Staffordshire parish registers are on FMP and the churches the family have used over time are included. Thanks for the idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X