No announcement yet.

WW Ancestry now free at home until 30 June 2020 - via library log on everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW Ancestry now free at home until 30 June 2020 - via library log on everywhere

I have just logged into our library and it has ancestry at home until April 2020 - might be worth checking yours.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Still only available in libraries in West Sussex, however, they've got the Times Digital Archive which I'd forgotten about.

Comment

...the log on doesn't seem to be working for Central Beds. checked Herts CC and Milton Keynes and they are not offering it
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Herts CC has something called British Library newspapers

not sure which other libraries have it and you can view that at home, I had also forgotten that
        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 26-03-20, 19:04.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Comment

Thank you for the heads up. Just tried my library website and I have access to full Ancestry too (this is for Bromley libraries). Very useful in the coming 12 weeks of strict isolation (hubby is on the very vulnerable list). I have a sub to the UK Ancestry but Worldwide will be very useful. Must dig out all my queries now.

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by Elderflower View Post
            Thank you for the heads up. Just tried my library website and I have access to full Ancestry too (this is for Bromley libraries). Very useful in the coming 12 weeks of strict isolation (hubby is on the very vulnerable list). I have a sub to the UK Ancestry but Worldwide will be very useful. Must dig out all my queries now.

Pat
            ooh glad it is working for you, maybe a few more might offer, worth a visit in the next week.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

I have just re read what it says - and it says it is ancestry offering it:
              "Ancestry are offering library members access to the Library Edition from home until April 30th 2020.
              Click here to log in with your library card number and PIN."

Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

If it's any help to other members, I just logged into my library website and there was a large note on the front page that stated Ancestry could be used from my own computer at home. I just clicked on the link on the library web page and it took me straight into the library edition of Ancestry.

Pat

Comment

I reported the error to my library, and they have got back to Ancestry and it is all fixed now.

I think it may mean that everyone has access now - as Herts CC is working too, so give it a try.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

log into your library and get to the page where it lists ancestry with a link that you would use in the library and I think it will take you through to the site.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

I have it confirmed that Ancestry is free in all libraries that have a subscription. so if you were able to access in the library you can now access worldwide at home until 30th April.

Now that they have fixed it yesterday it should work.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                        Still only available in libraries in West Sussex, however, they've got the Times Digital Archive which I'd forgotten about.
                        have you tried today?
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

I can get to a login page where it asks for username and password, neither of which I have. I tried my name and library card number, my initial & surname and library card number but it doesn't work. I have a sub for Ancestry anyway, so was only looking for the benefit of others in Sussex.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                            I can get to a login page where it asks for username and password, neither of which I have. I tried my name and library card number, my initial & surname and library card number but it doesn't work. I have a sub for Ancestry anyway, so was only looking for the benefit of others in Sussex.
                            It was like that on Herts CC last week, but now goes straight through, and they make no mention of it on their website. I just logged into the library and then the link took me through.

I reckon it is worth an ask they soon had it sorted at my library (Bedfordshire), and it is ancestry that is doing the offer. I don't have worldwide, so will take a wander around in case there is something new.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

https://arena.westsussex.gov.uk/web/...-local-history - has Findmypast at home now apparently, but not including the British Newspapers.

I've not found a link to ancestry there yet.

Yes I have but not at home?

https://arena.westsussex.gov.uk/web/.../familyhistory
                              Caroline
                              Caroline's Family History Pages
                              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Still not working at D&G Libraries. I have sent query via council website. Does library edition include fold3 ?

Comment

I've just had an email from West Sussex Library:

Time to do some family history research?

Here is some more good news! We can now temporarily offer all library members free access to FindMyPast from home! Please contact the library Enquiries Team for more details. If you're not already a library member it's easy to join online.

We have a great range of free family and local history resources to help with your research.
                                  Caroline
                                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                    Still not working at D&G Libraries. I have sent query via council website. Does library edition include fold3 ?
                                    sadly no - I checked earlier.

It has obits from newspapers.com
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

I wonder why you have to contact West Sussex libraries, and why you can't just log on?

Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

What version of Ancestry is it? Is it the full worldwide package?
                                        My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X