No announcement yet.

WW Ancestry now free at home until 30 June 2020 - via library log on everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have added a comment under yours in D&G page. Thanks Carolyn.
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 02-04-20, 16:54.

Comment

WooHoo!! It’s working now at D&G

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
        WooHoo!! It’s working now at D&G
        ooh I wonder if it was my nudge...

...only got 29 days left - unless they extend it.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I think it must have been. Well done I wonder if they will even figure out that my comment and my initial email are from the same person.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

It does look like they have access to only their own records on ancestry and not the full library edition, I know not every library has it. I don't have FMP in my local library, a reason why I joined Herts CC as they have it, and used to visit when I was taking husband to Lister hospital which is in Stevenage Herts. They were more than happy for me to join, I wonder how easy it is to join another library without visiting, not checked?
            I'm not sure what you mean by "only their own records" but I'm guessing you're referring to what they call their Red Rose Collection via Ancestry Institution which is for Lancashire records. However, there is also access to Ancestry worldwide via Institution. I used this regularly when the libraries were still open. I understand Ancestry Library Edition has an advantage in that you can view public trees, whereas you can't via the library's Institution sub.
            If you wouldn't mind posting a query/nudge on their Facebook page similar to what you've done for Dumfries and Galloway, It would be much appreciated...
            Thanks for plugging away at this...

Christine
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Lancs records are on ancestry and website seems to be saying that is how you can search them and access them. Do you know if you can view all records on Ancestry when in the library?

Will ask on FB
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by "only their own records" but I'm guessing you're referring to what they call their Red Rose Collection via Ancestry Institution which is for Lancashire records. However, there is also access to Ancestry worldwide via Institution. I used this regularly when the libraries were still open. I understand Ancestry Library Edition has an advantage in that you can view public trees, whereas you can't via the library's Institution sub.
                If you wouldn't mind posting a query/nudge on their Facebook page similar to what you've done for Dumfries and Galloway, It would be much appreciated...
                Thanks for plugging away at this...

Christine
                Posted
                "Do you have ancestry library edition at the library? is this accessible at home temporarily?"

and already got a reply:

"Hello. Not at the moment we are looking at the options. We will post on here when we have news."

So maybe they will do it soon.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

Lancs records are on ancestry and website seems to be saying that is how you can search them and access them. Do you know if you can view all records on Ancestry when in the library?

Will ask on FB
                  Yes ancestry worldwide at the library.
                  Researching:
                  HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Posted
                    "Do you have ancestry library edition at the library? is this accessible at home temporarily?"

and already got a reply:

"Hello. Not at the moment we are looking at the options. We will post on here when we have news."

So maybe they will do it soon.
                    Thanks - here's hoping!

Christine
                    Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by wulliam View Post
                      Just had this from Gateshead Libraries in response to a query:

"Ancestry is usually free in all our libraries on public computers. Unfortunately I did contact Ancestry yesterday and was told they are not offering remote access via Gateshead Libraries subscription. Sorry we couldn’t help on this occasion."

:(
                      I've just had an email making me very happy ...

I’m pleased to say we’ve managed to negotiate a way for Gateshead Libraries customers to access Ancestry remotely whilst libraries are closed. If you login to your library account here https://bit.ly/3dQ8mWb you will see a link near the top left of the page to take you to Ancestry.

Kind regards,
                      William
                      Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Good news Wulliam.

Comment

Great news, anyone else not able to access? Nice treat for April - I have ancestry but not WW, so will catch up a on the few I have abroad. was a chance find, as although I get books tend to do by the app, and not notice the rest of the site.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                            I've just had an email from West Sussex Library:

Time to do some family history research?

Here is some more good news! We can now temporarily offer all library members free access to FindMyPast from home! Please contact the library Enquiries Team for more details. If you're not already a library member it's easy to join online.

We have a great range of free family and local history resources to help with your research.
                            Ancestry now added and this link has been updated. I've not tried logging as I already have it.

UPDATE: Logged in to Ancestry using my card number and my pin.
                            Caroline
                            Caroline's Family History Pages
                            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hooray - now online access via Devon Library Service

Comment

Sadly Pembrokeshire are not offering access to either find my past or ancestry
                                Sue ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Suein10b View Post
                                  do they have it at the library normally?
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

I have posted on their facebook page
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

It's taken a while but Bucks now have it.
                                      Glen

Comment

they have replied to me and are looking into it - so fingers crossed.
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

it should be available now, they have replied to my Facebook comment.

Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X