WW Ancestry now free at home until 30 June 2020 - via library log on everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    I wonder why you have to contact West Sussex libraries, and why you can't just log on?
    I haven't found a link to log in with on the WS site yet to test it, so maybe it is secret at the moment - I'll have a look again today. I already have FMP so better make sure I have got the password!!

UPDATE: Just looked and their link still sends you to the signup page.

https://arena.westsussex.gov.uk/web/...-local-history
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

do West Sussex have ancestry usually. Our library has the same screen for home or the library, but in the library it works and outside the library it doesn't.

I have checked out MK library and it is working there. You need to have logged on and follow a link within the site, other links they have won't work as I assume it is not picking up the membership details:

They say
      "Home access to ANCESTRY LIBRARY EDITION has been temporarily extended to our library cardholders, courtesy of ProQuest and its partner Ancestry.

Visit the library catalogue and account management system to link through to the Ancestry website and continue with your family history research.

Once logged in to your library account using your library card number and PIN, go to the HOME PAGE. You'll see a link on the home page of the library catalogue to click through to the Ancestry website."

They used SPYDUS software you can see in the URL, Beds use something different, so embedded it differently I can see.
      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 01-04-20, 08:09.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Just had this from Gateshead Libraries in response to a query:

"Ancestry is usually free in all our libraries on public computers. Unfortunately I did contact Ancestry yesterday and was told they are not offering remote access via Gateshead Libraries subscription. Sorry we couldn’t help on this occasion."

:(
        Kind regards,
        William
        Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

I got a same day automated acknowledgement of my query sent through the council website. Sadly as of now there has been no actual reply and I still can’t login from my library page. I can get the Proquest login box but nothing works.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
            What version of Ancestry is it? Is it the full worldwide package?
            Paul

This link should tell you what is included.

ProQuest powers research in academic, corporate, government, public and school libraries around the world with unique content
            DGJay

Comment

Originally posted by wulliam View Post
              Just had this from Gateshead Libraries in response to a query:

"Ancestry is usually free in all our libraries on public computers. Unfortunately I did contact Ancestry yesterday and was told they are not offering remote access via Gateshead Libraries subscription. Sorry we couldn’t help on this occasion."

:(
              That is so odd, as my library contacted ancestry to get link fixed. Mk and Beds and herts are all working now. Wonder who they spoke to.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

weirdly if I click on the link on right here (ancestry) it takes me into the site, confused by this maybe because I am logged into my library:
                https://www.gateshead.gov.uk/article...Family-history

try logging into your library and then clicking this link.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

so weird it is working regardless of me logging into library now:

Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Still zilch for me. I know my card number and password are correct as I used them to log in to
                    my library account. From inside that site, there’s no way to reach proquest login page. All that’s visible is a photo advertising ancestry library edition being available in your local branch.
                    There is a link to proquest login via the main council website but that page has no idea that you are already logged in to your library homepage.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                      Still zilch for me. I know my card number and password are correct as I used them to log in to
                      my library account. From inside that site, there’s no way to reach proquest login page. All that’s visible is a photo advertising ancestry library edition being available in your local branch.
                      There is a link to proquest login via the main council website but that page has no idea that you are already logged in to your library homepage.
                      yes both of the sites I have visited have put a link in so that you log on and then use the link. Perhaps they may fix it. I notice that Bedford borough facebook site had people posting on there, is yours active - could be woth a post on there:

Tried a search on FB - and many many libraries have posted
                      https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...epa=SEARCH_BOX
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by DgJay View Post

Paul

This link should tell you what is included.

https://www.proquest.com/products-services/ale.html
                        Thanks for that
                        My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

As far as I can see from searching around it is a worldwide thing, offered by ancestry, and any library with ancestry should have it.

a few Facebook posts and some tweets might fix it at your local library.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

No success at accessing here in Devon. I'll concentrate on getting my nosiness fix from FMP..... though I prefer the format of my Ancestry tree so have to transfer finds across - a very small niggle in dark days.

Comment

I with you on that I don't like FMP tree, gave up on it ages ago. I have made a couple of posts on FB, see whether some might sort it out.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

check out twitter, Paul already been tweeting, let's get it on all libraries!

https://twitter.com/search?q=ancestr...d_query&f=live
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Am not on Twitter or Instagram etc. but will
                                  look at FB and see if I can find somewhere to put a message.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                    As far as I can see from searching around it is a worldwide thing, offered by ancestry, and any library with ancestry should have it.

a few Facebook posts and some tweets might fix it at your local library.
                                    I can't access the library edition via Lancashire libraries. I wonder if the issue is that Lancashire Libraries subscribe to Ancestry Institution rather than Ancestry Library Edition??
                                    It might be that this is the case for Galloway Lass and other people up north who haven't had any success with this.
                                    Any thoughts?

Christine
                                    Researching:
                                    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

D&G is library edition. Have used it on a pc in the local studies section a few months ago.

Here’s a half way house reply just this minute arrived in my inbox. Looks like it has reached a actual intray but could well sit there for some time.

“Dear Customer,

We'd just like to let you know that we have assigned a reference number to your enquiry: Reference xxxxxx. Dumfries and Galloway Council normally responds to emails within 20 working days, if a response may take longer than 20 working days we will let you know when to expect a response.

If your enquiry is urgent, or you need to speak to us we can be contacted on ...........Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm”

I did wind up the energy this afternoon to dust and polish in the lounge, bedroom and hallway so no lurking done yet in search of a suitable FB page to press the point.

Comment

I have taken to facebook:
                                        devon.JPG
                                        galloway.JPG

Happy to leave a message on another library if you are not a FB user, might be able to make a difference stuck indoors

Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post

I can't access the library edition via Lancashire libraries. I wonder if the issue is that Lancashire Libraries subscribe to Ancestry Institution rather than Ancestry Library Edition??
                                          It might be that this is the case for Galloway Lass and other people up north who haven't had any success with this.
                                          Any thoughts?

Christine
                                          It does look like they have access to only their own records on ancestry and not the full library edition, I know not every library has it. I don't have FMP in my local library, a reason why I joined Herts CC as they have it, and used to visit when I was taking husband to Lister hospital which is in Stevenage Herts. They were more than happy for me to join, I wonder how easy it is to join another library without visiting, not checked?
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X