A letter from WWI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A letter from WWI

I mentioned this project on another thread so I thought I would share one or two of these letters with you all. My sister and I are using our isolation time to work on transcribing a shoebox full of letters found at my great aunt's house. This first one was sent to my great aunt from her brother who I think was in Egypt at the time. I have tweaked the brightness and contrast of the scans so I hope they are readable.

Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

What an amazing letter to have, and as you have a shoebox full you will be the envy of many of us. Do you already know which regiment Percy was in or his rank?

Comment

No, Jill, I have pretty much zero knowledge of all things military or how to research them. Here's a couple of pictures of him in uniform also from the shoebox.

Third from the left middle row.

Right hand side in the doorway

Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

That is so clear and undamaged, how lovely.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I hope he survived the war. I know in the past some of our members have been able to identify cap badges, and if you put his full name up maybe someone can find out more.

Comment

I do feel lucky. It's a real treasure trove! There is gt aunt's passport, ration books, lots of memorium cards for many family members, letters, valentine cards and some baptism cards. She was obviously a collector and horder of ephemera for which I am very grateful

Comment

Yes, he survived and later married but didn't have any children. If anyone wants to look or point me in the right direction his name was pretty distinctive... Percy Eccles Julius Caesar! Born 1898 in Pimlico.

Comment

Well there's only going to be one with that name! I will take a look in the morning (unless someone else gets there before me)

Comment

From his medal card: No. 593152, Private, London Regiment, then 684841 same rank and regiment

Comment

Oh joy, he had a pension, he had a bad knee from playing football in Egypt, & lots of other detail do you subscribe to Ancestry? It's on there pm me if not & I will send it tomorrow.

Comment

Ooh, thank you, Jill. How did you find that? I have a basic Ancestry subscription but haven't found that information. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                        Ooh, thank you, Jill. How did you find that? I have a basic Ancestry subscription but haven't found that information. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.
                        Here's the link

and the medal roll

and service record

and medal card record
                        Last edited by Jill on the A272; 25-03-20, 10:15. Reason: more links

Comment

Thank you so much, Jill. I did recognise one of those so it must have come up on a search a long time ago and I had forgotten it. How nice to have so much detail about him and his signature on one of the documents completely matches his handwriting in his letters.

Comment

Glad to have been able to help.

Comment

What a lovely letter and photos. Thanks for sharing it with us.
                              Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Amazing letter and so pleased you posted it.

My Father often told me Great Uncle Percy was a shoe designer ? These are the first photo's I have ever seen of him. There is one photo in our album that might be him or it might be Aunt Ruby's husband. He is a private like Percy but I am unsure and I cant imagine who else it could be. Unfortunately its not a clear photo and I believe the Album is with my Brother buried under a lifetime of things he wont part with. I only have digital photos I took years ago with a early digital camera.

Comment

@rainjain
                                  Here’s the photo, I’ve tweaked the contrast a bit.

Unfortunately I don’t recognise him at all. It is not Percy or Ruby's husband Albert. Maybe someone from your mother’s side?

Some kind of cavalryman as he’s wearing jodhpurs?

Comment

The cap badge looks vaguely like Artillery, so perhaps the Royal Horse Artillery?

Carol

Comment

Thank you, Carol. That’s helpful.

Comment

Working...
                                      X