Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that the forum feels new - it gave me a chance to add my avatar - I hadn't bothered before.

I can see that many of you have interesting avatars and would love to know who they are, and a story about them - if there is one.

Want to change your avatar - it is super easy, the forum does all the work for you, it will let you choose a square on your favourite photo. Don't forget it will be tiny so make sure there is not too much background.

Go to the top of the forum and click on the little arrow marked with red box, and then choose your profile marked with a blue box

then select edit avatar in red box

Now choose browse and find your photo. You can copy and paste the file path in the box if you already have it in another window.

Once you have found your photo you will be presented with a little square, that you can drag around by placing your mouse in the middle where the red box is, and make it bigger by dragging one of the boxes in the corners one marked in blue. Press save and you are done.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

I will reply to my own post! Mine is my mum holding me, on the garden of the New town corporation house that we lived in Harlow. My sister was at the bottom of the pic, but I have cropped her out now.

They would have been there 7 years by this time, and they moved there when my brother and sister (twins) were born, in some of the first residents of the new town. I turned up 7 years later - I think a surprise!

The wall behind were a block of garages that was covered by a beautiful red scented rose, that brings back memories of being in the garden as a child. We had quite a good sized garden as we had the piece to the side of the house as well.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Seems appropriate to tell you about mine straight after yours Carolyn. Mine is my Granny Mildred Peck (nee Coleman) who lived her whole life in Ampthill. the Coleman family were grocers and lived in Woburn Street(?) and not long after she married Frank Peck, my Grandpa, they moved to 105 Dunstable Street and lived the rest of their lives there. Frank Peck was MD of the store 'Frank Peck &Co' which was in the Market Place in Ampthill. Happy memories from my childhood of visiting the house and playing in the huge garden.
      Anne

Comment

Mine is currently me on my 35th wedding anniversary posing with my OH (out of shot) in front of the door where our wedding photos were taken. What you can't see is that we are shaking hands which is a family joke as a few years ago I asked whether we should do anniversary presents or not and he replied "You can have a firm handshake and my good wishes."

In the past I have had my great grandmother Rachel Annie Burnip as a young woman whom I resembled when I was young, she was from Epworth in Lincolnshire, her father died when she was quite young and she went into domestic service which took her to Lancashire where she met and married my great grandfather Robert Kershaw.

Comment

Oh, I've just had a go.....how do I go back to no aviator please
          Jacky

Comment

My avatar is of my great x2 grandmother Sarah Jane Tompkins nee Godfree. I am lucky to have got her portrait hanging on my wall. When my great aunt died, she passed the picture of their paternal grandmother on to her sister, my own grandmother, who passed it to my mother and when she died it came to me. We were never quite sure whether it was a painting or not until my mother decided to have it reframed and we found that it was actually a hand coloured photograph. It was probably done by Sarah's daughter Rosa Ellen, who is the person on the banner for our Facebook page, as she was very much into arts and crafts.

Nellie was the eighth child in the family and had two younger siblings.She was 6 years old when her mother Sarah died 27 days after having had a cerebral apoplexy aged 42. Her father married her maternal aunt, Emma Gillett nee Godfree, 18 months later. Nellie married one of the students, Thomas de Fraine, who John took in to learn farming. Nellie's son later married the daughter of Emma's step daughter, Susan Gillett. They were my maternal grandparents.

Sarah Jane was herself part of a large family. She was born in 1829 in Great Rissington, the fourth daughter of George and Anne Godfree, who then had three boys then another five girls. Interestingly she is often not at home on a census, she was with her paternal grandparents in 1841, an aunt in 1851, at home in 1861 and in 1871, six months before she died she was with her sister in Burford without any of the children.

Sarah married John Tompkins in in Great Rissington in 1853 - as one does I had wondered how they met, since he was from Oddington in Oxfordshire, and it was a while before I discovered that her husband was the nephew of her oldest sister's husband.
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
              Oh, I've just had a go.....how do I go back to no aviator please
              Done!! a nice little kitten
              Jacky

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post

Done!! a nice little kitten
                AAAAh.
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Mine is not surprisingly yours truly, I hope in 200 years time a descendant finds this page archived somewhere and will learn that I was awarded bonny baby of the year twelve years in succession, was the first man to walk on the moon though allowed America to claim that honour and lived to be 125 years old. If it's on an internet tree then someone would believe it, though of course for my own protection I changed my identity to keep the media away.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Mine is just a little doodly colouring thing that I did when I was bored one day
                    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Mine is Mavis Cruet, my alter ego. I like to stay incognito.
                      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                        Seems appropriate to tell you about mine straight after yours Carolyn. Mine is my Granny Mildred Peck (nee Coleman) who lived her whole life in Ampthill. the Coleman family were grocers and lived in Woburn Street(?) and not long after she married Frank Peck, my Grandpa, they moved to 105 Dunstable Street and lived the rest of their lives there. Frank Peck was MD of the store 'Frank Peck &Co' which was in the Market Place in Ampthill. Happy memories from my childhood of visiting the house and playing in the huge garden.
                        Anne
                        such a shame that I wasn't in Ampthill then. I have read some local history books and seen it mentioned
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

My avatar is from a photo of the family home on my g'g'grandparents' farm in Indiana, probably in the 1880s. I'm not precisely sure which of the grandchildren the two children are. In the full photo, each horse has a child rider, and other family members are at the fence or the house.

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
                            Mine is Mavis Cruet, my alter ego. I like to stay incognito.
                            ahhh I remember Mavis!.. loved that program! WOTW x
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

My Avatar is me.. taken a few years ago [2013]..
                              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                My Avatar is me.. taken a few years ago [2013]..
                                Was it from one of the meet ups? I never did manage to get to one because I was either working or then became quite poorly. I never did get to that graveyard for you, see I do remember. Waiting for a new knee now. Maybe when I am truly bionic and this strange world we are living in goes back to some normality, if you haven't already done so, I will make that journey up the link road.... just don't hold your breath.
                                Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Mine is my paternal grandmother when she was young. She was born in Haarlem in 1896, but her parents lived mostly in Indonesia, so she was back and forth there. Her father died while travelling back to Holland to join them when she was 4, and her mother died in 1917. She married my Grandfather in 1924, and from then on lived in Indonesia. During the war she managed to stay out of the prison camps, but her husband was incarcerated, and died while inside. She eventually went back to Holland in 1946 and died there in 1955, before I was born. She was supposedly very small, under 5 foot tall but extremely self-assured and knew her own mind.
                                  Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post

Was it from one of the meet ups? I never did manage to get to one because I was either working or then became quite poorly. I never did get to that graveyard for you, see I do remember. Waiting for a new knee now. Maybe when I am truly bionic and this strange world we are living in goes back to some normality, if you haven't already done so, I will make that journey up the link road.... just don't hold your breath.
                                    aww bless, it was at a place where we have had meets but not strictly on a meet... hope all goes well with the knee
                                    Julie

Comment

Lovely stories ladies and gents, nice to get to know. Might have to change mine every now and again.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Mine is my lifestyle.
                                        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Working...
                                        X