Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnie Jane McCreton nee Wilson

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Minnie Jane McCreton nee Wilson

    The following family are a bit of a mystery. I believe John McCreton emigrated in 1924, passenger notes have a chap of the right name, age and occupation (bricklayer) though he has a new wife and one year old daughter with him. I checked the birth and found the daughter mmn born 1924, mmn Buckley but there is no McCreton/ Buckley marriage. There's a lot about the McCreton family in the papers but only one John born in 1887 that I can find.

    It's Minnie and the children I'm looking at, the oldest two are a mystery, the youngest two I did locate marriages for but none of the family appear in the 1939 register.


    Minnie Jane Wilson was born 24 Mar 1888 in Middlesbrough and died 1974 in E Cleveland Reg District. She married John McCreton 1909 in Middlesbrough. He was born ABT 1887 in Middlesbrough.

    Children of Minnie Jane Wilson and John McCreton:
    i. Kathleen May McCreton was born 1910 in Middlesbrough (not the 1934 marriage to Jesse Lowell, that one is her sister in law)
    ii. Marjorie McCreton was born 1911 in Middlesbrough---edit, now found as Marjorie Seymour in 1939 with hubby in Middlesbrough
    iii. Dorothy McCreton was born 1914 in Middlesbrough and died 1914
    iv. John Vivian McCreton was born 1916 in Middlesbrough, died 2008
    v. Nancy Isabel McCreton was born 1919 in Middlesbrough died 1993
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

    Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

    #2
    Hi Glen,
    I know it's not what you are looking for but...
    I did a fruitless search on FMP a few days ago but have just had an email "After your last record search we did some research of our own – we might've found something interesting.
    Take a look – see if it matches the person you were looking for."

    It's the first time I've ever had a follow-up suggestion like this so perhaps it's a newly introduced feature by FMP?

    Anyway, it directed me to a death record (transcript) as below which might be of interest:

    First name John
    Last name McCreton
    Age 90
    Sex Male
    Birth year 1887
    Death year 1977
    Father's name Patrick
    Mother's name Ellen Blackburn
    Death place Baxt
    State Victoria
    Reg no 25680
    Record set Victoria Deaths 1836-1985
    Regards,
    Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY
    (Co Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Co Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Co Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Co Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Co Tyrone and Strangford, Co Down)

    Comment


      #3
      Yes that's the man, I believe he had a cousin who became an Army Chaplain and was awarded the MC. Several trees have the assorted siblings of John across the web but I have yet to find a tree which shows Minnie anywhere on them. Beyond the odd sighting in a butcher's shop in Middlesbrough during the 60's and my half sister visiting her in the 1950's it's as she didn't exist except the odd bmd appearance.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

      Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

      Comment


        #4
        I had a quick look on Trove to see if I could find an obit to match the 1977 death but no joy. However, I did notice in passing a couple of references to a Father Basil McCreton being awarded the MC.

        Hope you're keeping Ok with no more nasty surprises with your UC, electricity or water.

        Christine
        Researching:
        HOEY
        (Co Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Co Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Co Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Co Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Co Tyrone and Strangford, Co Down)

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
          I had a quick look on Trove to see if I could find an obit to match the 1977 death but no joy. However, I did notice in passing a couple of references to a Father Basil McCreton being awarded the MC.

          Hope you're keeping Ok with no more nasty surprises with your UC, electricity or water.

          Christine
          The fridge freezer went bang on Saturday but I've secured another one which should be here next week. Getting by day by day for now.

          As for the tree and this little query I dare say when I reveal the latest to my half sister it will jog her memory and suddenly she'll remember everything I've struggled to uncover. She is really good at that sort of thing
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

          Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

          Comment


            #6
            I don't want to side track this thread but the name Minnie caught my eye. Was Minnie a short form of some other name or names? I have a Minnie in my family but I think she was originally named Albertina. If it's not the same woman then I have some serious detective work to do. But I would expect the short form of Albrtina would be Tina or Bertie ? Any thoughts?
            Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

            Comment


              #7
              Mine was registered as Minnie Jane in the birth index, when I first heard mention of her when talking to my sister I did think it was shortened name
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

              Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

              Comment


                #8
                I have a distant aunt minnie, full name was "marian emma". Googling says it traditonally is a diminutive of "mary", but can be a shortened form of many names.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                  I don't want to side track this thread but the name Minnie caught my eye. Was Minnie a short form of some other name or names? I have a Minnie in my family but I think she was originally named Albertina. If it's not the same woman then I have some serious detective work to do. But I would expect the short form of Albrtina would be Tina or Bertie ? Any thoughts?
                  I have a few Minnies in my family too, and when I first saw it I assume it to be a nickname like my mums Uncle Babe was because he was the baby of the family and did have a proper name. I have baptisms and a death cert with the names. I have at least 6 in the tree, different branches.

                  there is Minnie Driver....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnie_Driver
                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 23-03-20, 22:13.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

                  Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                    The following family are a bit of a mystery. I believe John McCreton emigrated in 1924, passenger notes have a chap of the right name, age and occupation (bricklayer) though he has a new wife and one year old daughter with him. I checked the birth and found the daughter mmn born 1924, mmn Buckley but there is no McCreton/ Buckley marriage. There's a lot about the McCreton family in the papers but only one John born in 1887 that I can find.

                    It's Minnie and the children I'm looking at, the oldest two are a mystery, the youngest two I did locate marriages for but none of the family appear in the 1939 register.


                    Minnie Jane Wilson was born 24 Mar 1888 in Middlesbrough and died 1974 in E Cleveland Reg District. She married John McCreton 1909 in Middlesbrough. He was born ABT 1887 in Middlesbrough.

                    Children of Minnie Jane Wilson and John McCreton:
                    i. Kathleen May McCreton was born 1910 in Middlesbrough (not the 1934 marriage to Jesse Lowell, that one is her sister in law)
                    ii. Marjorie McCreton was born 1911 in Middlesbrough---edit, now found as Marjorie Seymour in 1939 with hubby in Middlesbrough
                    iii. Dorothy McCreton was born 1914 in Middlesbrough and died 1914
                    iv. John Vivian McCreton was born 1916 in Middlesbrough, died 2008
                    v. Nancy Isabel McCreton was born 1919 in Middlesbrough died 1993
                    I did have a look around, but didn't unearth anything
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

                    Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I've nailed down the children though the surname for this group is pretty much non existent in the 1939 register. Earlier this evening my sister said rumour is that Nancy isn't the child of John McCreton though the birth reg indicates otherwise. If Minnie did have a relationship c1918 that may explain how John McCreton came by the mystery wife and child in Lancashire and the trip to Australia. She may have been using another name in the 1939 as I've tried surname variants and even omitted her surname in searches. I still can't pin down Kathleen either but it's a name that comes down through the McCreton lines quite frequently.
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

                      Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                        for but none of the family appear in the 1939 register.
                        Hi Glen,

                        I found Minnie on the 1939 on FMP but my sub doesn't include access to the image. She's been transcribed as below and has exact DOB you gave:
                        Minnie (J) McCreto? 1888 Middlesbrough C.B. Yorkshire (North Riding) England 18 Moses Street
                        Christine
                        Researching:
                        HOEY
                        (Co Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Co Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Co Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Co Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Co Tyrone and Strangford, Co Down)

                        Comment


                          #13
                          No idea how you got that, I've tried every combo I can think off. Thanks for that.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

                          Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

                          Comment


                            #14
                            As Christine has done the hardwork - I found the image:


                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

                            Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Could Kathleen be the Kathleen McCreton who married William H Salisbury in Hendon in 1941?

                              In 1939 she is in Hendon with a DoB of 31 Jan 1910 is single and a domestic cook, but her surname is recorded as Phelan (the surname of the family she is living with). This is then crossed out with an X next to it, with McCreton written at the bottom of the page and also above the Phelan surname. This is then amended to Salisbury.

                              There is a death in Camden in 1990 of a Kathleen May Salisbury with the same DoB, including with probate.

                              Kathleen May McCreton was born Q1 1910

                              Comment


                                #16
                                She could be, the other Kathleen (b1905) has a connection to the family and some from that branch certainly seemed to head down that way (as far as I can make out it's the branch with the army chaplain).

                                I did find a 1909 baptism for Minnie, presumably the reason for it being the upcoming marriage.
                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

                                Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X