Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    I found another that newspaper report, I have no idea why I didn't have those. Maybe I never searched for his death in british papers. DoB was different but sure it is same person as death is same.

Thank Elaine

Leave a comment:

• Elaine
    replied
    That's a good find, from that manifest, there is an explanation here above the search

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    I have looked at newspapers for him before and now I have just found this straight away!
    https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/...aniel%20dayman

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    Originally posted by Elaine View Post
    Well that is clearly him, do you know what this record actually is?

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
    Well, I've tried to research one or two peeps in KS, without much success.

Presumably you have the findagrave link for the 1925 grave in Kansas. You could try contacting the cemetery and see if they can give you a DOB to be more certain. But you say 1854, and the grave marker says 1853. In the 1920 census, he was a "roomer" - makes me think he didn't have family who knew him, and friends an authorities may not have had exact info like - DOB, names of parents. The latter usually appears in DCs of that era, but, as usual, only as known to the informant.

You can order the 1925 DC from vitalchek:

It doesn't look like Ancestry has KS wills, or at least none show up in the search. FS wiki says:
    In most counties in Kansas, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, inventories, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.

Oh, look! FS has Shawnee probate records in your time frame online! but not indexed, except as it was indexed at the time. left as the labor of love that it is:

You would need to start with the third film "Probate court indexes: v. 3 1886-1926 v. 4 1895-1901 v. 5 (p. 1-337) 1901-1904" to find which Probate book you would need to search, then search that probate book.

FS has a wiki about resources. One other possibility would be an obit. You'd have to find a local paper and search it (if it's online)
    Guide to Shawnee County, Kansas ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, and military records.

Good luck, and happy hunting!
    I can't see anything obvious - will have another look tomorrow, I guess he is not guaranteed to be in them, can't quite decide if they stopped around 1925

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
    This one gives birth and death date

Wow - that is great, will have a look through the Devon records and see I can get a better birth date.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    ooh thank you, will have a look through links.

I did see another Daniel Dayman on another census with parents in US, so need to make sure it is my Daniel death. Did look through the papers the other day when they were free, and all I found was a Daniel Dayman that was picking up his post at the post office!

Leave a comment:

• PhotoFamily
    replied
    Another possibility - he died in a different place, but was buried in Kansas.

Leave a comment:

• Elaine
    replied
    This one gives birth and death date

Leave a comment:

• PhotoFamily
    replied
    Well, I've tried to research one or two peeps in KS, without much success.

Presumably you have the findagrave link for the 1925 grave in Kansas. You could try contacting the cemetery and see if they can give you a DOB to be more certain. But you say 1854, and the grave marker says 1853. In the 1920 census, he was a "roomer" - makes me think he didn't have family who knew him, and friends an authorities may not have had exact info like - DOB, names of parents. The latter usually appears in DCs of that era, but, as usual, only as known to the informant.

You can order the 1925 DC from vitalchek:

It doesn't look like Ancestry has KS wills, or at least none show up in the search. FS wiki says:
    In most counties in Kansas, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, inventories, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.

Oh, look! FS has Shawnee probate records in your time frame online! but not indexed, except as it was indexed at the time. left as the labor of love that it is:

You would need to start with the third film "Probate court indexes: v. 3 1886-1926 v. 4 1895-1901 v. 5 (p. 1-337) 1901-1904" to find which Probate book you would need to search, then search that probate book.

FS has a wiki about resources. One other possibility would be an obit. You'd have to find a local paper and search it (if it's online)
    Guide to Shawnee County, Kansas ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, and military records.

Good luck, and happy hunting!

Leave a comment:

• Elaine
    replied
    Another ref for you in case 1921

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Leave a comment:

• Katarzyna
    replied
    Familysearch?

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en...nsas_Genealogy

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    started a topic Daniel Dayman

Daniel Dayman

Born 1854 in Hartland, Devon and may have died in 1925 Topeka, Shawnee County, Kansas.

I have a few records in the US (1889 ship Gallia, census in 1920 and 1915) and can see that he is a Millwright. My Mum said that Uncle Dan left money, but I don't think it could be right if he died in 1925.

I am not so good on US records as don't have WW ancestry, is there any place that I could look without subscription? Welcome advice on searching.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...07477593/facts
Working...
X