One or two certs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One or two certs?

I'm trying to find out of my jailbird Robert Bushell had children and what happened to his potential wife.

He was born in Norfolk in 1833, served two prison terms during the 1850's and released in 1860. An older half sister, (Harriett Bushell abt 1826) married in Waterloo during 1851 and appears at Doyle Street in Goole in 1861. She remains in Goole for the rest of her life. Married name is Harriett Acaster.

I've found a Kings Lynn marriage in 1861 for a Robert Bushell to Elizabeth Crisp and two Bushell births with mmn Crisp

Birth; BUSHELL, MARY ELIZABETH
    mmn CRISP
    GRO Reference: 1862 J Quarter in WALSINGHAM Volume 04B Page 2
    Death; BUSHELL, MARY ELIZABETH
    age 0
    GRO Reference: 1862 S Quarter in DOCKING Volume 04B Page 183

=
    Birth; BUSHELL, ELIZABETH
    mmn CRISP
    GRO Reference: 1864 M Quarter in GOOLE UNION Volume 09C Page 555
    Death: BUSHELL, ELIZABETH
    age 0
    GRO Reference: 1864 M Quarter in GOOLE UNION Volume 09C Page 430

The 1864 Goole burial register shows a Feb 14th burial of Elizabeth Bushell of Doyle Street, aged 3 hours. I have ordered the 1864 birth cert.

In Dec 1868 Robert Bushell was arrested for burglary and tried in early 1869 receiving a 10 year sentence. He was released in 1877 from Wormwood Scrubs.

1871 Elizabeth Bushell, Goole Workhouse, also a Thomas Bushell aged 1. There is only one Bushell birth in Goole, BUSHELL, THOMAS JOAB mmn CHATTILL, GRO Reference: 1869 D Quarter in GOOLE UNION Volume 09C Page 604

Later census shows Elizabeth and William together in the same households in Goole. There's no baptism on FMP for Thomas and given the date of registration he could be a son of Robert but the mmn is different. It's an off centre birth from my half sister's main tree so is it worth a punt? I'm more curious than desperate to prove things but she would like to know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid
Working...
X